Author Topic: Spitfires in tour 110: Late war  (Read 6660 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Spitfires in tour 110: Late war
« Reply #270 on: April 09, 2009, 03:02:02 AM »
I think it would be HORRIBLE for the MA if the Chog wasnt perked, I dont know if you been in DA lately but Chogs are hoing everything in sight :(

You have no idea as to why the C-Hog was perked in the first place and here's a clue...it wasn't because people were using head on attacks.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #271 on: April 16, 2009, 03:09:26 AM »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #272 on: April 16, 2009, 03:17:43 AM »
 :rock
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #273 on: April 16, 2009, 08:32:31 AM »
Nice one kazaa! :lol
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #274 on: April 16, 2009, 09:03:29 AM »
wow you got 3 kills in one burst get over it already.   :rolleyes:
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
Don't Unperk the C-Hog
« Reply #275 on: April 16, 2009, 09:04:34 AM »
I'm getting worried that the C-Hog may be unperked because no one has come up with workable reasons for keeping it perked yet. So I have to step in :P

First, the reasons that do not work:

Obviously, the C-Hog cannot be perked on the basis of any special performance, if anything it is actually slightly heavier than the unperked Hogs, fuel load for fuel load.

It cannot be perked on the basis of firepower, because there are several unperked quad Hispano and quad-cannon birds. Of these, the Typhoon is much faster at typical low alts, and also a good jabo, the HurriIIC is much more maneuverable, and the N1K has quad-cannons, a generous ammo supply, carries bombs, and also is very maneuverable. There are arguably better buff-hunters, since the C-Hogs ROC is rather anemic, it is bizarrely susceptible to engine-stoppages and pilot wounds, and something packing 30MMs might be considered better for buff-busting.

So the C-Hog is a very good, very dangerous plane, but probably not completely overwhelming.  Thus the notion of protecting the MA as a whole from unlimited C-Hogs makes for a weak justification. Instead, the best reason to perk the thing is to ensure that the much more common and representative .50 cal Hogs will see use. Which is a good enough reason if you ask me. 19 pages before someone justified the C-Hog's perk status...wow. :)
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
Re: Don't Unperk the C-Hog
« Reply #276 on: April 16, 2009, 09:25:27 AM »
I'm getting worried that the C-Hog may be unperked because no one has come up with workable reasons for keeping it perked yet. So I have to step in

those that flew when the Chog was unperked understand why HTC perked it.

no further reason needed.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #277 on: April 16, 2009, 09:25:38 AM »
I rarely fly the F4U's of any kind, so I have no vested interest in whether it is perked or not.  I must ask though, isn't perking the C variant to insure use of the other variants contradictory to the way HTC setup the plane perk system in the first place?
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
Re: Don't Unperk the C-Hog
« Reply #278 on: April 16, 2009, 09:29:39 AM »
those that flew when the Chog was unperked understand why HTC perked it.

no further reason needed.

Yeah yeah, 25% usage, heard you the first time. Different MA today, whole bucket-load of planes we didn't have back then, she wouldn't see anywhere near that kind of use today.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #279 on: April 16, 2009, 09:34:17 AM »
I rarely fly the F4U's of any kind, so I have no vested interest in whether it is perked or not.  I must ask though, isn't perking the C variant to insure use of the other variants contradictory to the way HTC setup the plane perk system in the first place?

Search me Waystin. There is seemingly no absolutely consistent basis upon which planes are perked. I think ensuring that that the F4U-1, -1A, 1D, and the F6F are not mostly replaced by C-Hogs is a good enough reason.

For contrast, the Ta-152 is another extremely rare bird that once was perked, but now is not perked, which I think is a good thing. One notable difference between the rare 152 and the rare C-Hog is that there aren't any vastly more produced and slightly less uber 152 variants in the game to "protect".
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 09:42:58 AM by BnZs »

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #280 on: April 16, 2009, 09:48:06 AM »
After I thought about it BnZ, there really is only two reasons to keep the C-model perked.  Every CV attack would be carried out with C-models, and historically it was a rarer variant.  Otherwise it truly is no more dominating than some of the other 4 20 mm cannon birds we have out there already.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #281 on: April 17, 2009, 01:02:30 AM »
you put yourself in the position of questioning HTC's decision to perk the Spit XIV. 

So many folks spoiled with the new spit16s and spit8s, they forget the spit14 was here many MANY years before either showed up. In the pre-spit16/spit8 world, this was (and note: still IS!) an uber ride. The horsepower, climb rate, speed, alone is better than most of the planeset, and yet it turns noticably better than other rides that approach it's speeds (P51s, p47s, 109k4, 190d, tempest).

The question isn't "why is the spit14 perked?" but rather after having established "this is uber" and introduced 2 planes just as uber, "Why are THESE 2 new planes, even BETTER than this perk ride, still unperked?"

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #282 on: April 17, 2009, 01:17:13 AM »
Whoa, slow down there Krusty.

The Spit16 is double-superior to such a huge chunk of the plane set and so good in general that I think it deserves a light perk, but it doesn't come anywhere close to matching the P-51, 109K, Dora, Typh, etc, in top speed. Like I've said before, the planes the Spit16 really hurt in terms of MA viability for a2a work are the moderate planes, in between the high-end speed burners and the Zero/Hurri type aircraft.

The SpitXIV would be double-superior to many, many more aircraft than the SpitXVI.

The SpitVIII should not be considered for perking because it retains the primary handicap of Spitfires, anemic roll rate at high speed, as well as being in possession of slightly less top speed and firepower.

So many folks spoiled with the new spit16s and spit8s, they forget the spit14 was here many MANY years before either showed up. In the pre-spit16/spit8 world, this was (and note: still IS!) an uber ride. The horsepower, climb rate, speed, alone is better than most of the planeset, and yet it turns noticably better than other rides that approach it's speeds (P51s, p47s, 109k4, 190d, tempest).

The question isn't "why is the spit14 perked?" but rather after having established "this is uber" and introduced 2 planes just as uber, "Why are THESE 2 new planes, even BETTER than this perk ride, still unperked?"
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 01:20:48 AM by BnZs »

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #283 on: April 17, 2009, 02:09:40 AM »
Gentleman, this is what I would do:

Upgrade the boost on the Spitfire Mk. XIV to 21lbs and leave it perked.
Upgrade the boost on the Spitfire Mk. XVI to 25lbs of boost and perk it.

Job half done, that does leave us without an unperked clipped Spitfire though.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #284 on: April 17, 2009, 02:13:07 AM »
Leave the XVI unperked, or perk it 1 perk, no more.  Make a duplicate one at 25lbs, and perk that one.  Or roll out the perk loadout system.. Too bad there's no way to know if that's not possible for some reason.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you