Author Topic: AvA terrain makers wanted...  (Read 10729 times)

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Re: AvA terrain makers wanted...
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 11:13:09 AM »
Quote from: Denholm
(Please keep in mind, the tutorials teach you how to use the functions of the TE, and not how to make, "politically correct" terrains.)

That must be code for a working terrain with high frame rates + good game play + working strat + no mountains of water + randomized terrain tiles +...

There has never been such a thing as a "politically correct" terrain as far as I know, although I can imagine a few trivial instances that would violate the htc TOS rules. As with all things in AH, there are requirements to be met that are not achieved without effort.

The requirements in their order of importance, IMO are as follows:

1 Good game play design ie frame rates, distances between bases and objects etc.
2 Knowing the special requirements, if any, for the target arena.
3 Understanding of the interaction between the game components, ie truck convoys, ack etc.
4 Familiarity with the Terrain Editor (about to be updated).

Meeting those 4 requirements alone, you can produce welcome terrains for any arena including the AvA. The next two are of benefit to the AvA, but are not required.

5 Familiarity with the Object Editor (optional, and about to be updated)
6 Familiarity with ac3d (optional)

While Pearl Harbor is a worthy project, it's one that shouldn't be attempted as a first project. It's more fitting for a builders' 3rd or 4th project because of the additional components requiring the Object Editor and ac3d. I suggest something like the Poe Valley as a more fitting first time terrain building effort.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 11:15:07 AM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline mrmidi

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 01:02:28 PM »
I have a Peal Harbor Terrain I have worked on as a side project...it's nothing fancy..

The draw back with the extra ack is a frame rate issue. When there are 8, 10, 20 planes in the same area with all the extra ack
frame rates drop to single digits, and thats with a decent system, and all default objects.

I'm not saying it can't be done by no means, just pointing out the issue of excesive ack in a terrain.

midi

In charge of nothing.
C.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
It is what it is!

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 01:59:21 PM »
Looks like I have some reading to do Denholm :aok  Like I said I love this stuff. :O  I will save my how to questions until after I have at least attempted to find the help myself through one of the great links that you have pointed me to.

MrMidi, maybe the two of us can mesh ideas from your map that is complete and find a balance in the politically correct terrain area that would be a nice addition.  I wish for no credit for your hard work, if anything, I wish to help promote it getting implemented for arena use.  :salute You can email me, just left click on my name above icon (the information there is up to date).  There is a widget at the GruppeOutlaws website that you could upload files to also.  http://gruppeoutlaws.50megs.com/box_widget.html

It will take me a week or so to digest the information that I have been given.  So, both thanks  :aok and please don't forget about me.  I want to follow this through.

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 02:25:23 PM »
Chilli, try this offline mission:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,254869.0.html

It's not Pearl, but it's a loaded harbor with lots of ack (I recommend turning your ack damage strength down via clipboard options prior). It's a Japanese harbor, so fly the American side and see how your frame rates are when flying over the harbor.

:salute
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2009, 09:17:49 AM »
...There has never been such a thing as a "politically correct" terrain as far as I know, although I can imagine a few trivial instances that would violate the htc TOS rules. As with all things in AH, there are requirements to be met that are not achieved without effort...
Perhaps I should revert back to stating that the tutorial doesn't teach you how to generate MA acceptable terrains? :)
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2009, 03:12:28 PM »
Okay, before I get started then, list of things to avoid, like:    :uhoh custom textures, clouds, extensive ack, field distances, etc.  If I have a better idea, my guess is that I should be able to weigh the benefit / fps against appeal or other design preferences.  In this area, shouldn't the AHWiki - Terrain Editor include some more player/maker input?  It was a good place to start but not much more than a dictionary at this point.  (Hint:  Wiki's are editable by the community.  If you have good info on does and don'ts maybe you could carry on the discussion there.) 

Please don't read into the tone of this post.  I am extremely grateful for all the help,  :salute and I try to state things simply (for my sake).  Anyway, back to the drawing board which happens to be the reading room for the moment.

Thanks Ranger, I have the Rngrcove file and will look at fps.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2009, 03:31:47 PM »
Okay, before I get started then, list of things to avoid, like:

custom textures
These are the biggest frame rate killers when used on objects seen from the air, but judicial use is fine.

clouds
Weather is a separate file from the terrain and clouds are fine.

extensive ack
Never a good idea, particularly in the AvA

field distances
Depends. For the small number of players in the AvA, closer is better up to a point. Instead of 25 miles between airfields, something like 12 to 20 miles seems to work pretty well. The terrains with fields at around 12 miles or less are meant to be 'War' type events with assigned objectives, but I see them being used for regular setups, which is up to the staff so this seems to be their preference right now.

etc.
?[/]
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2009, 03:40:17 PM »
I have a Peal Harbor Terrain I have worked on as a side project...it's nothing fancy..

The draw back with the extra ack is a frame rate issue. When there are 8, 10, 20 planes in the same area with all the extra ack
frame rates drop to single digits, and thats with a decent system, and all default objects.

I'm not saying it can't be done by no means, just pointing out the issue of excesive ack in a terrain.

midi

It is good to know these things.  MrMidi, is it possible to collaborate or just mentor me?  For something that has already been done, I would love to see what tweaks we could put in and be HTC politically correct.

Still until I hear from you I am doing my homework, reading.  But there is no better learning tool than experience, so any tips on what I should or could be doing will be greatly appreciated.

:salute

Looking at the diagram I had thought to place a refinery to simulate the oil farms listed there.  This should add some puffy flak, we will see.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 03:42:53 PM by Chilli »

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2009, 09:43:49 AM »
If you want experience, try making some terrains for offline use. Something similar to an MA terrain. Remember, it doesn't have to be MA-workable, it simply has to imitate the workings of an MA terrain. That way you can get your brain muscles flexing so you get an idea of what goes into the preparation of a terrain, what needs to be done to make the terrain, and what needs to be done to test the terrain.

Now, remember... This doesn't have to be a working terrain. It is simply so you get an idea of how things work so you can extend or narrow your horizons to what you're capable of accomplishing. Just remember, road bumps shouldn't be considered the end of the road.
FlameThink.com

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2009, 03:30:53 PM »
Okay, it has been a week and still reading up.  :frown:  Ranger, I loved the map and see what you are talking about with the ack and fps.  I didn't take much of a hit with it but it was noticeable.  After reading some I wonder if the custom objects are to blame for the fps drop as much or even more so than the ack.

That is a good question for me because I think that your use of these stationary ships is exactly what I would "like" to use in the harbor.

My next question.  How can I "steal" some of your ideas and implement them in my primary attempt at map building?

And lastly I ask, how important is it to keep the scale of the island relevant to the 25 miles a sector guide?

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2009, 04:36:42 PM »
My next question.  How can I "steal" some of your ideas and implement them in my primary attempt at map building?

Anything I can do to help you along, just ask.  I'm sure that goes for the others here as well.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2009, 05:08:04 PM »
...And lastly I ask, how important is it to keep the scale of the island relevant to the 25 miles a sector guide?
I'm guessing since the AvA and SEA arenas seem to be more realistic, realism (or ensuring the terrain is nearly accurate in size) is critical.
FlameThink.com

Offline mrmidi

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2009, 08:47:16 PM »
Chilli did you recieve my PM I sent you Monday night?

midi
In charge of nothing.
C.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
It is what it is!

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2009, 03:45:16 PM »
Okay, here are some bitmaps that I am working from.  The top image once I add the labels and decide on the scale is where I would like to begin.  Suggestions are more than welcome.

Yes, MrMidi thank you for your response and I need all the help anyone can offer.

I have been having a lot of fun with Ranger's offline mission.  :rock  The Japanese fleet skinned wonderfully.  I see the disadvantage of customizing and framerates, so I will try to customize very minimally.

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2009, 03:47:27 PM »
Is the first image from google earth or another program?