Author Topic: Question for all the people who call the spitfire 16 a noob plane.  (Read 8409 times)

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
Re: Question for all the people who call the spitfire 16 a noob plane.
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2009, 03:56:39 AM »
I would fly the 16 in real life if asked but I would wear a mullet wig with a SHawk mask.   

But my 16 killer is the FM2.

Love the FM2

« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 03:58:42 AM by A8TOOL »

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2009, 04:22:51 AM »
It's a silly question because in real life everything was different.  The fights were usually higher up, most kills were when pilots were taken by surprise, etc. etc.  No one is going to complain about having a Spit 16 in real life because it is, in fact, a life or death scenario.  This is a video game, people should expect to die, and actually try to challenge themselves.
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2009, 04:48:39 AM »
In simulated real life, I would not fly a Spit XVI.  In real real life I would fly what ever i was assigned to fly.

I mainly don't fly a SpitXVI because, for the most part, I don't really do much better in one than a SpitIX or a Yak and I feel less dweebish getting killed in a P-40 than a SpitXVI.

I do find, however, the occasions I do fly a SpitXVI I seem to get a few more kills before I hit that tree.

I'm going to do this if I ever get my frame rate issues sorted out.  I'm betting I'm not going to see a great increase in K/D or hit% for me but I'm curious.

wrongway
Thats probably the best answer :salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2009, 06:22:44 AM »
From another perspective, the Spit16 is so good that new pilots can fly it and even get kills in it.  The other side of this is that veteran pilots can dominate most opponents in it...ridiculously.  An average pilot can have more great moments and opportunities in a Spit16.  To get out of and into trouble. :-)

There was a suggestion that said start new guys out with 1500 perks or so and maybe perk the Spi16 to level out the playing field.  Then again if the Spit16 was produced in huge numbers...maybe it was the playing field in 1945.  I don't know.

Slade
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2009, 08:13:39 AM »
This thread makes me want to fly the spit16 as my main ride for a tour. :)
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2009, 08:18:19 AM »
This thread makes me want to fly the spit16 as my main ride for a tour. :)

Me too, to skew its K/D ratio and K+D past the P-51. :devil
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2009, 08:19:08 AM »
Question for all the people who call the spitfire 16 a noob plane.

In real life if you were a part of the RAF and you were assigned to fly Spitfire mk XVI, would you say "I'm not flying that thing, it's a noob plane"?
Loaded question.  But, if I were to pick a fighter, knowing I had good odds to die anyway, I'd pick one I got a good kick out of flying in the mean time.  Not a spitfire.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 08:21:11 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2009, 08:50:18 AM »

In real life if you were a part of the RAF and you were assigned to fly Spitfire mk XVI, would you say "I'm not flying that thing, it's a noob plane"?

Is this a serious question?

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2009, 08:56:17 AM »
He really meant to say: "If you had your hands tied and were put on a short plank, would you walk it, or say "no way, this is dweeby!"?"
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2009, 08:57:49 AM »
 :rofl
Strokes

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2009, 09:23:35 AM »

What does a game have to do with real life.

In real life I would be in the states anyway.
In real life most of the folks that fly in here would be dead first sortie.

If this game was played as real life then HT would have monitary problems for lack of users. After all. . . when your dead, your dead.

In FSO I'd not fly there anymore. If a scenario comes where there is only spits... won't do that either. Just plain boring to fly, no challenge what so ever.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 09:28:21 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2009, 09:33:24 AM »
          I actually Love the spitfire's historically, I think they get a bad rap in here because so many new players fly them. But I blame this on some of the training reading you do when you first start the game, its the direction a new player is lead to. I flew the Spit 9 for a long time when I started the the game and IMO its a wonderfully modeled plane in the game.  

After Flying the spit 9 for a while I jumped into the Spit 16 and first thought was "wow" what a forgiving plane, even more so then the 9. I eventually moved to the faster more challenging plane's in the game and at the moment I fly the La's. And even though there fast it takes a lot more skill to fly them because everything happens faster in them and sometimes you only get one chance at a good shot and then you lose the advantage. So though I think that the spitfires get a bad rap I don't blame the plane set itself, I blame the fact that there such an easy flying plane that the New (noob) players gravitate toward them.

And one more thing that I have noticed over the years is that a lot of the GV guy's if you catch them in the air, most of the time the spit 16 is the plane they fly.
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher

Offline projoe

• Copper Member
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2009, 09:47:50 AM »
I don't fly the spitfire 16 because I just don't really like that model, it can maneuver good and all but I just prefer more powerful and faster planes, just because I fight at higher speeds.

The reason why I started this thread is to see weather most people just disrespect it because it's easy to fly and alot of un-experienced people fly it or for some other reason. On 200 I see alot of people calling it dweebfire, noobfire, or what ever it was, the problem I have with that is it's a spitfire and it earned it place in history. Therefore it should be respected, no matter who fly's it.

Today one of our bases fell under attack of a bish CV and there were just not enough rooks to protect it. I took of on a spitfire 16 because it was about 5-7 rooks vs 20+bish. I'm pretty sure all thous bish were screaming get that noob or something like that just because I was in spitfire 16, but what do you expect me to take? P-40? 190? P-38? Tiffy? For a low alt outnumbered defense mission. And even thought I was on a superior aircraft it was not easy because I was outnumbered. During my 1st sorti I ran out of ammo and went back to base, I landed 6 kills, and i'm pretty sure about 80% of the people that were online and sow it thought "what a noob". You tell me, what that a noob thing to do? Or should have I just ditched the kills like one guy in my old squad did ones because he was ashamed of being seen in spitfire 16?

Best plane for base defense imo.
Projoe 367th Dynamite Gang

Spread my work ethic
Not my wealth!

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2009, 10:19:09 AM »
Best plane for base defense imo.

I still think the 109K4 is the best plane for base defense.

Or La7.

Offline DCCBOSS

• Nickel Member
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2009, 10:34:08 AM »
I fly whatever I can get a kill in, different plane for different situations if I get a kill at all  :D
"Where ever you go, there you are".
C.O. of Rolling Thunder