Author Topic: Question for all the people who call the spitfire 16 a noob plane.  (Read 8320 times)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: Question for all the people who call the spitfire 16 a noob plane.
« Reply #150 on: April 09, 2009, 04:27:15 PM »
Both my K/D as well as my hit% suffer  when flying a 16. Fragility and wing mounted mixed guns...
That's one thing I never got used to after playing the game for a while. You move the joystick 1/32 of an inch and your going in a completely opposite direction.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #151 on: April 09, 2009, 04:31:30 PM »

Nah, it was a general statement to those claiming it is uber. The spixteen is not an unbalancer in the MA. In fact, I think it's the opposite. It's a "balancer"  because it helps level the playing field a little bit for newer players.

They've been beating up on you the last 3 tours. You touched on it though.  With a p40, it may be hard to kill quickly, meaning you are often going to be dealing with multiple bad guys.

If you are regularly beating 16's 1v1 in your p40, you  are surely doing something right.        :aok

Being that it is a balancer for the new players, it becomes an unbalancer for the experienced ones. I don't care if every noob flys the 16 and don't blame them. I just don't admire vets who pwn in the plane and think it's all the pilot.

Everyone has been beating up on me the last 3 tours and every tour before that. I consider myself an "average" player at best.  The average 16 driver is usually newer but there are those that have similar time invested as I. Those pilots would eat me alive in a 16 vs 40 fight. That's where "it's the pilot, not the plane" doesn't quite apply.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #152 on: April 09, 2009, 04:33:36 PM »
The more modern the planes get the more it depends on the plane not the pilot. Back in WWII it depended alot on the pilot, however a plane did play a major roll in success.
Tell that to the Defiant pilots, the Bf110C4 pilots during BOB, the P40E pilots in N. Africa shot down by 109Fs, the many P-47s outmanuvered and shot down by 190s/109s, the p47 pilots that by all rights should have died many times over but sat there soaking up hundreds of rounds from ground fire and aircraft.

Oh, yes, surely the aircraft performance duringf WW2 had little to do with who made it back alive or dead.  :cool:

The more modern the planes get the more it depends on the plane not the pilot. Back in WWII it depended alot on the pilot, however a plane did play a major roll in success.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 04:35:20 PM by MachFly »
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline helbent

• Nickel Member
« Reply #153 on: April 09, 2009, 04:51:11 PM »
The spit 16 is a crutch.  I dont mind seeing newbs in em, or base defenders.  However, to see highly skilled, long time players relying on this crutch (or any other super uber) to survive makes me sick.  How lame are you that you must always fly nothing but the best?  You must be the type of person that doesnt face challenges very well.

IMO someone that flys only the hottest rides has a huge ego problem and is too frightened to actually be shot down from time to time.  They are chicken shuckers.

Take off the training wheels and man up. :devil

my 2 cents HB
Creator and original CO of the now HiJacked Squad -=Hell Hounds=-
Never argue with an idiot.  They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Avator by fugi.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #154 on: April 09, 2009, 05:00:17 PM »
The spit 16 is a crutch.  I dont mind seeing newbs in em, or base defenders.  However, to see highly skilled, long time players relying on this crutch (or any other super uber) to survive makes me sick.  How lame are you that you must always fly nothing but the best?  You must be the type of person that doesnt face challenges very well.

IMO someone that flys only the hottest rides has a huge ego problem and is too frightened to actually be shot down from time to time.  They are chicken shuckers.

my 2 cents HB

You been saying that for years HB.
You don't mined seeing people defend a base in spit16 but when you see them land kills in it, what do you think of them? (BTW the last sentence in the following quote might seem a little familiar to you ;) )

Today one of our bases fell under attack of a bish CV and there were just not enough rooks to protect it. I took of on a spitfire 16 because it was about 5-7 rooks vs 20+bish. I'm pretty sure all thous bish were screaming get that noob or something like that just because I was in spitfire 16, but what do you expect me to take? P-40? 190? P-38? Tiffy? For a low alt outnumbered defense mission. And even thought I was on a superior aircraft it was not easy because I was outnumbered. During my 1st sorti I ran out of ammo and went back to base, I landed 6 kills, and i'm pretty sure about 80% of the people that were online and sow it thought "what a noob". You tell me, what that a noob thing to do? Or should have I just ditched the kills like one guy in my old squad did ones because he was ashamed of being seen in spitfire 16?
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline stickpig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #155 on: April 09, 2009, 05:04:01 PM »
OK.. all the guys who fly one plane exclusively, for the next two nights fly nothing but the spit 16.

So those who are exclusive P-38, 190, 109 etc drivers lets see if they get more kills than usual or die more than usual.

So challenge yourself to something new.
Theyll only give you one chance, Better get it right first time. And the game youre playing
If you lose you gotta pay, If you make just one wrong move Youll get blown away
Expect no mercy  <Nazareth>

"Stay in the manned ack... When your in a plane you are a danger to the ground"  <Norad>

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #156 on: April 09, 2009, 05:14:51 PM »
This thread gets funnier by the minute.  :rofl

I'm curious, let's have a show of (virtual) hands:

How many people would expect a poor pilot in a Spit 16 to beat a good pilot in a 190D-9, P-38G, or Yak-9U (just to name some random middling ENY examples) more often than not?

How many people would expect a good pilot in a 190D-9, P-38J, or Yak-9U to beat a poor pilot in a Spit 16 more often than not?

Bonus question: How often in a typical night in LW would you expect to see a two-weeker landing 4 or more kills (or if you're paying enough attention, getting 4 kills in one sortie before dying) in a Spit-16?

Offline stodd

• Gold Member
« Reply #157 on: April 09, 2009, 05:17:26 PM »
In real life I would want the best thing possible....who wouldnt? :uhoh
Stodd/ CandyMan
I don't get why you even typed that, you know it's stupid.

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #158 on: April 09, 2009, 05:28:43 PM »
After all this talk about the 16, I flew a couple of hops in one last night just to see.....And I got about 5 kills in 2 hops and 3 of the kills I never fired a shot. And I did this by just out maneuvering and watching them crash trying to get a gun solution, and I'm not that great a pilot. But after flying my normal rides and jumping into the spit 16 it was like it almost fly's itself in combat, that plane in the right hands can dominate the field IMHO.

I got to hand it to the plane, its a Great Ride. 
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #159 on: April 09, 2009, 05:40:36 PM »

Hmmm ... I am somewhat confused here ... :rolleyes:

How does one become "highly skilled" in this game by "relying on this crutch" (Spit 16) ... or any crutch for that matter  ?

How does one become "highly skilled" in this game but "doesn't face challenges very well" ? ... can you actually become a top tier pilot without facing any challenges in this game ?
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #160 on: April 09, 2009, 06:14:09 PM »
I don't know WTF I'm talking about.
"Thanks for playing".
A 190A8 is a Spit16.
Hey, look at that, Orange's method works great!
How does one become "highly skilled" in this game by "relying on this crutch" (Spit 16) ... or any crutch for that matter  ?
How does a crutch help a broken leg convalescent walk faster?  Is that what you're asking?
How does one become "highly skilled" in this game but "doesn't face challenges very well" ? ... can you actually become a top tier pilot without facing any challenges in this game ?
You can but that's off topic.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 06:18:42 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #161 on: April 09, 2009, 06:21:58 PM »
Right! Except for the part where mine is an accurate paraphrase and yours isn't.

Do you or don't you agree with the proposition that an unskilled novice pilot in a Spit16 can expect to beat a good experienced pilot in any other plane more often than not?

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #162 on: April 09, 2009, 06:43:25 PM »
"In any other plane".    You just can't do proper argument can ya.. Nothing but loaded questions and inaccurate hair splitting when the reality is that the 16 is easily one of the very few easiest planes in the game and can do everything I said it can.  Period. You want my opinion? It's right here in the thread.  You want an unedited quote of your argument?
The most you can say with any credibility is that the XVI gives a slight edge and sometimes gives pilots a chance to recover from mistakes that would kill them in another aircraft.
Do I really have to fly a spit16 to prove this to you?

:lol  You don't know wtf you're talking about.  Yes, a noob in a spit16 will hand NathBDP his bellybutton about half the time, on a deck merge at 375mph.  How do I know this is an accurate example?  I fly the 152 and I've fought spit16s flown by pretty much the whole gamut of players, maybe a couple hundred times.  Slow and fast and everything in between.  Kazaa and some other TheFew blokes, GTR, MOG, Wizer, a whole bunch of zipcodes, a couple dozen average players whose names I can't recall but who I recall specifically they would make tons of mistakes and still were just out of reach and/or would beat the best I had to offer.. That's 1:1. That's even when they lose the plot and do some flat turn marathons. Put noobs in a spit16 on the best sticks in the game already commited to a fight and they'll be able to keep up just fine.

It's the poster child for easy mode and anyone past 6 months has no need for its crutch. F** yeah with it I could double or triple my KD, KT, H% and any other magic number you want to try hinging this on.  You can go up a rope with three or four cons above you and correct for a killshot on each, you can come out of a slow zoom nearly at 90deg with the right twist at the top, etc.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #163 on: April 09, 2009, 06:52:20 PM »

my 2 cents HB

And flying a P-38 exclusively some how makes you better than the other experienced player that likes to fly the Mk XVI exclusively?  Talk about your huge ego problems...

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #164 on: April 09, 2009, 06:55:13 PM »
Being that it is a balancer for the new players, it becomes an unbalancer for the experienced ones. I don't care if every noob flys the 16 and don't blame them. I just don't admire vets who pwn in the plane and think it's all the pilot.
...."it's the pilot, not the plane" doesn't quite apply.

I have yet to run into one of these vets...at least I don't know of any who fly it, and own, regularly. Any names come to mind?  You make a good point though. People who say "it's the pilot not the plane" are not correct. I typically fly for the team in the bucket and against the biggest concentration of bad guys I can find. I do this in a 51 with some success.  Certainly I wouldn't have as much luck in your P40.

Everyone has been beating up on me the last 3 tours and every tour before that. I consider myself an "average" player at best.  The average 16 driver is usually newer but there are those that have similar time invested as I. Those pilots would eat me alive in a 16 vs 40 fight.

Well I wasn'r really impugning your skills.  You were clear to say you do fine against spixteens "1V1". Obviously many if not most deaths in the MA are not "1V1", so the raw stats aren't a clear indicator of your abilites.

Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve