Author Topic: To my Combat Theatre and AvA brothers  (Read 1548 times)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
To my Combat Theatre and AvA brothers
« on: April 11, 2009, 11:55:53 PM »
My life has forced me to resign as head AvA admin.  I no longer have time to dance the skies on laughter-silvered wings.  A new wife, two amazing new boys, my new family, a recent new job - all taking its toll on my ability to lead the greatest arena in Aces High.

I have spend thousands of hours here on the forums and even more online flying with most of you. Starting off by helping form the 412 Mustang, the Thirtheen TAS, then IIIJG2, then JG-54, and finally with the Gun Slingers.  I've found out one thing about those who play Aces High - this is a family and I'm proud to be part of it.  There are arguements, spats, but just as many friendships, gatherings, stories, and laughter.

Having been part of the Combat Theatre administration staff since 2001 and having led it for almost 5 years, its time for someone else to take the helm who has the same passion and care of this family.

I'm not going away, but just stepping down to let others do a better job than I have the past 8 months.  I loved doing the steps, the wars, the historical settings - all trying to recreate history in the skies over England, Africa, Europe, or the Pacific.

I wanted to thank five special guys who really have done a tonne of work the past years in the background most are un-aware of. They're all volunteers - meaning there are NO perks to this work, other than to share their passion to recreate history.

Easyscor - this guy has been providing me with lots of excellent advice - and is the creator of the AvASML map - one of my favorites.  And he did so all on his own time and without complaint.  :salute

Duke - has been with the AvA and a champion of the arena for almost as long as I have.  His life has him relegated to advisory role but like me, wishes to do more when time is available.  Duke's advice on how to deal with the forum and setups was always appreciated. Also, never fight Duke when he's in his P-40.

Slash - this guy has been with the AvA a long time and again recently as an advisor similiar to Duke who has played a key role in helping us balance the gameplay.  His open opinions give the balance we needed to help us make decisions that were the best for the arena.

Soda - former squadmate from years ago, and lifelong friend, Soda has been extremely helpful with Oldman in maintaining the arena when I couldn't.  He puts up setups without asking, fixes mistakes, and keeps his professionalism at all times.  A good stick too, espcially in any Mustang or Luftwaffe aircraft.

Oldman. OM has been the backbone of the AvA as long as I have.  We've flown together, shot one another down, yet his humble manners speaks volumes to his personaliy and dedication to the AvA.  Similiar to Soda, he posts setups, fixes mistakes, and helps keep the AvA going.  I'd fly into a hornets nest with OM without blinking and was glad to have him many times on my wing.

To the rest of you - 13 TAS, 412 Mustangs, IIIJG2, JG-54, and the Gunslingers (plus the countless squadrons who call the Combat Theatre (AvA) home, a big thank-you for beliving is us to help make the skies as real as possible. 

I'm leaving you with a famous quote by a brave pilot who lost her life in the quest for the skies. Keep it real guys!

:salute

Motor cut. Forced landing. Hit cow. Cow died. Scared me.
— Dean Smith, telegraph to his chief, quoted by Amelia Earhart,
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
Re: To my Combat Theatre and AvA brothers
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 12:48:44 AM »
 :(
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Geophro

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 04:43:06 AM »
Jephro
Dying as Geophro Tour 91-Tour 104
Getting kills is easy.  Earning kills is better.

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 06:32:44 AM »

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 09:24:30 AM »
 :salute Good fortunes to you and your new family. Yourself and those generous souls you list are much appreciated.

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 09:44:57 AM »
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 10:54:44 AM »

RTR
The Damned

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 12:16:50 PM »
Your efforts have been appreciated Fork!
My best to your family.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 03:40:55 PM »
MrFork  :salute

Thank you for everything and have very good life with your recent fortunes.  Classy fellow, best wishes to you in all your endeavors.   May the honeymoon never end.

Chilli (19 yrs. married / 4 adopted kids  ... best part of my life)

Offline Dinan

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 04:51:49 PM »

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 04:58:53 PM »
 :salute your wars brought me to AvA. Loved it ever since.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline RMrider

• Silver Member
      • http://
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 06:53:17 PM »

Loved working with you in BoA Fork, Take care.

MDStampf - JG11 'Sonderstaffel'
Sgt Stampfli, USMC

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 08:47:16 PM »

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 10:07:55 PM »
 :salute Fork!

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 10:17:28 PM »
My life has forced me to resign as head AvA admin. 

How does one deal with this?

I remember....

...Fork proposing new concepts, having to fight them past the objections of the sometimes-doctrinaire people who started the Combat Theater (Brady, are you there?)....

...Fork, patiently explaining how to make the Italy map work by detonating munitions bases that somehow belonged to the wrong side (to an imbecile Oldman who still doesn't understand how he did it)...

...Finding the sky looking like a low pressure area was overhead, asking Fork if he were responsible for the unusual weather, and hearing a meek "..maybe..."

...Fork keeping the Gunfighter squadron alive after Grits retired, when everyone else, for a brief time, migrated elsewhere (Fork...it's "Gunfighters", not "Gun slingers"....Canadians....)....

...Fork suddenly announcing the beginning of The Wars, which would take us, in one form or another, through most of 2008...

...Fork taking my weekly setup assignments when I couldn't handle them because of real life workloads...

Fork has been the heart of AvA for much longer than any other player.  He has herded the cats, raised the dead, kept the blood pumping in an arena that people have said could not survive.  When we needed a new idea, Fork had one.  When tempers flared, Fork cooled them in a rational way.  When the HTC gods needed to be approached, it was Fork who braved the thunder.  We literally would not be here today without him.

Some of you know that in my weaker moments, I have said that so long as Fork could keep on plugging away as AvA staff, then I would too.  There have been many nights when I would have just said the heck with this crap if it hadn't been for the beacon of Fork's cheery perseverence.  He has been that kind of inspiration.

There are people who go out of their way to criticize the way the AvA has been run.  When I think of how Fork has had to take a few minutes away from a sick child, or stay up late on the night before a big exam, or risk the wrath of wife ack just so that he could reset the arena, or make an adjustment to the radar settings, or put up a setup because no one else would, it makes me about as angry as I ever get.  The AvA isn't for everyone, and it never will be, but those of us who have enjoyed it all these years owe Fork a lot.  A lot.

I comfort myself with the hope that, like so many of us, he will be able to share more time with us at some more restful point in the future.

Thank you, Fork.  You are my friend.

- oldman