Author Topic: Go Navy!  (Read 781 times)

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
Go Navy!
« on: April 12, 2009, 12:48:21 PM »
They rescued the captain!

Lets not get into any politics. This is just a thread to celebrate.  :aok

:rock
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 01:37:38 PM by rogwar »

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
Re: Go Navy!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 01:30:30 PM »
Dont mess with the seal team. 
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 03:16:38 PM »
Pifffft, the pirates said they were not afraid of Americans.  Three of the four Somali gunmen are now dead, the fourth wounded to an unspecified degree and the hostage rescued UNHARMED.

It befuddles the imagination as to why these shipping companies were paying these morons the ransoms they demanded.  Even a certified idiot knows all that will do is motivate
more kidnappings.  Hopefully now the organized Navies of the world will from this point on blow those mothers of dogs up on sight.

"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 04:54:55 PM »
 :aok  super stuff
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 05:30:21 PM »
It befuddles the imagination as to why these shipping companies were paying these morons the ransoms they demanded.  Even a certified idiot knows all that will do is motivate
more kidnappings. 

They pay because ransoms are less troublesome than arming ships, training crews to defend their ships, and dealing with the bad publicity that would occur if some poor wittle Somali "fishermen" got thoroughly perforated while innocently hunting fish for their families with AK-47s and RPGs in the shipping lanes. The Somali's ransom demands are also probably cheaper than the lawsuits the shipping companies would face if a crewman got killed defending his ship, particularly in America.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Anodizer

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 05:51:22 PM »
All these guys were in a raft in close proximity...  So, 4 bad guys with 1 hostage in a raft....
Man, whoever (SEALS) those guys were, they were definitely crack shots.... :salute

Glad we live in a country that would take these kinds of measures to keeps its citizens safe,
no matter where they are..  I don't think there are many other countries that would do this
type of thing to rescue its own people..   :rock :rock :rock

Makes me proud to have earned the right to be a citizen of the USA... :salute
I like classy, beautiful, intelligent woman that say the "F" word a lot....

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 06:07:50 PM »
Pifffft, the pirates said they were not afraid of Americans.  Three of the four Somali gunmen are now dead, the fourth wounded to an unspecified degree and the hostage rescued UNHARMED.

more kidnappings.  Hopefully now the organized Navies of the world will from this point on blow those mothers of dogs up on sight.

History repeats itself?

Ironic that it was almost exactly 200 years ago that there was a pirate problem being dealt with by the U.S. around that area?

Maybe it's time to follow through?

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 06:34:06 PM »
:aok  super stuff

Thanks texasmom ;)

Glad you understood the part about keeping discussions of what we should and should not do out of this thread.

We could all use some good news right about now and this captain's rescue is great news!

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 06:48:03 PM »
They pay because ransoms are less troublesome than arming ships, training crews to defend their ships, and dealing with the bad publicity that would occur if some poor wittle Somali "fishermen" got thoroughly perforated while innocently hunting fish for their families with AK-47s and RPGs in the shipping lanes. The Somali's ransom demands are also probably cheaper than the lawsuits the shipping companies would face if a crewman got killed defending his ship, particularly in America.
That is exactly what a certified idiot would think.  All it does it create a pirate empire much like the mafia.  Pay them a monthly fee into infinity and they do not kill you.  Or you keep the high seas safe for free passage.  It amazes me sometimes that western civilization has endured thus far in spite of itself.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 08:39:23 PM »
That is exactly what a certified idiot would think.  All it does it create a pirate empire much like the mafia.  Pay them a monthly fee into infinity and they do not kill you.  Or you keep the high seas safe for free passage.  It amazes me sometimes that western civilization has endured thus far in spite of itself.

You didn't get the impression I agree with this policy did you?  :huh I'd bet money I'm correct about the motives behind it though. As well there are probably many legal impediments to adequately arming ships and crews for self-defense.

EDIT: The shipping company's actions remind me of the default, common-sense advice about getting robbed: Don't fight, its only money, life and limb are worth more than money. Which is true, as far as that goes, but what is on the table isn't just money, it is the principle that men should be secure in their property, without which no civilization is possible. Not fighting might be a personally safer choice, but it doesn't make the *next* victim the wicked ones choose any safer.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 08:49:48 PM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 12:25:50 AM »
System:Navy Seals landed 3 victories using probably ubber weapons of US NAVY  :D

oink seals :)
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 05:22:20 AM »
Merchant ships should be armed like Spanish galleons. A couple CWIS per side with remote control would probably do the trick. Crew could sit inside armored safe room and blast the surroundings of the ship through FLIR remote display.

That wouldn't help against sneak attack at night though, or any surprise attack.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 05:36:24 AM »
I agree. 

Even an arms locker on board would help.  If I was a merchant seaman I'd be looking to buy a weapon at the first port of call.

In this particular case the boat full of Somali's followed the Maersk wossname for 4 hours before catching up to board and when they did they fired they nice shiney (ahem) AK-47s in the air.  Bearing in mind just how choppy it can get in a little boat.....and how stable a big ship is in the same water, 1 fella taking pot shots at em for the 4 hours it took em to catch up might just put the ******* off the idea. 

Ya don't want ships with jumpy crew having access to a weapon that can sink another boat cos you know what'll happen, some small boat (possibly not even Somalian) would get sunk and there'd be hell to pay.  No, small arms is all you need.

Apparently on the Maersk wossname the chief engineer offered to show a Somali around the engine room and when they got down there he hit him with an ice pick.  Nice :)

There'll probably be a film made about this.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 06:22:01 AM »
The problem is that the pirates have RPG's so the merchants are probably very scared to start a firefight unless they possess a real punch. FLIR guided chaingun + aim assist systems would be a heavens send. You could identify armed attackers from miles away through zoom and then take autorange pot shots at them. Just one burst would disable any small boat.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 06:47:43 AM »
That's a good point actually, I didn't think about RPG's.