Author Topic: What do YOU consider the best fighter?  (Read 17920 times)

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
Re: What do YOU consider the best fighter?
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2009, 06:18:52 PM »
I like the La-7.

It can hold its own against pretty much anything in the game.

It may not be "statisically" the best fighter in the game, but it still ain't no slouch.

Its biggest drawback is its guns.

Like on some other planes, their biggest asset IS their guns.

Lovin the Lala!! :rock
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline FYB

• Silver Member
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2009, 01:44:17 AM »
F6F, it may be less agile, slower, and ugly, but if it gets on your 6 you better pray he misses for your life. Not to mention you better aim correctly or you're going to regret it when it turns around after you've finished your ammo and it clocks your tail.

Its taken more than just 20mm and 30mm to knock it down, I got shot twice with 30mm in the back and once on the wing and it may have left a huge hole, but i flew back as if it was brand new. Its a flying Abrams Tank.

-FYB
Most skill based sport? -
The sport of understanding women.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2009, 02:17:53 AM »
F6F, it may be less agile, slower, and ugly, but if it gets on your 6 you better pray he misses for your life. Not to mention you better aim correctly or you're going to regret it when it turns around after you've finished your ammo and it clocks your tail.

Its taken more than just 20mm and 30mm to knock it down, I got shot twice with 30mm in the back and once on the wing and it may have left a huge hole, but i flew back as if it was brand new. Its a flying Abrams Tank.

-FYB

Single burst of 4x .50 cals is enough to remove the wing or tail of a Hellcat.  Aim for the weak points, like the wing root area or tail section and they go down pretty easily.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2009, 09:30:12 AM »
Best fighter depends on many factors, like altitude for example.  Best overall fighter is the F4U-4. It can stall fight with an FM-2 in the weeds, E-fight with a Spit16 or La-7 and out-performs the Spit14 at the Spit's best altitude. There are fighters, that under very specific circumstances are as good or even better. However, none can match the F4U-4's performance from sea level to 30k.

376 mph at sea level, 453 mph at 26k. Smaller turning circle than the Spit16.

It can carry 2k in bombs, plus rockets. With two drop tanks, it has excellent endurance. Finally, it also operates from carriers. The only limiting factor for the F4U-4 is its pilot.

My regards,

Widewing

My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline FYB

• Silver Member
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2009, 10:12:21 AM »
Single burst of 4x .50 cals is enough to remove the wing or tail of a Hellcat.  Aim for the weak points, like the wing root area or tail section and they go down pretty easily.

ack-ack
Yeah but most who don't know that  :noid , well, they... shoot at the wing tips... and the center... Means one swift turn after they run out and BANG, 1 kill for me.  :D

-FYB

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2009, 10:54:25 AM »
F6F, it may be less agile, slower, and ugly,

F6F less agile? Never used flaps in life?

Slower, at level speed, but in a dive?

Ugly? I have a feeling you think the 410 is ugly as well
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline FYB

• Silver Member
« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2009, 12:37:22 PM »
F6F less agile? Never used flaps in life?

Slower, at level speed, but in a dive?

Ugly? I have a feeling you think the 410 is ugly as well
I never said it didn't have many advantages; and, well, maybe its kind of pretty...?  :D

-FYB

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2009, 05:31:15 PM »
Best fighter to get kills in? Or to learn in?

To get kills in/achieve #1 Rank: P-51D, easily.

To Train in? P-39Q Why? Because you have to know ACM, have good SA, and be a good shot, all at the same time, to fully succeed in the P-39Q.

:salute
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline HellFire

• Copper Member
« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2009, 05:37:27 PM »
Hi BnZs  :)

Would like for u to post the film of ur fight with Klauss' (P38) vs ur Spit.  Thx.

My choice of planes:(1) F4U-4   (2)P38L
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 05:40:32 PM by HellFire »
"In life there is certain death, and between life and death
  there is a journey, hence in truth nothing is lost in death."

Offline MstWntd

• Copper Member
« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2009, 05:58:32 PM »
I never said it didn't have many advantages; and, well, maybe its kind of pretty...?  :D

-FYB

Its a beaut.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2009, 06:21:23 PM »

http://www.mediafire.com/?wyzdossggbm

I will say something though...it is a crying shame more fighters with twin counter-rotating props were not built. The torquelessness *greatly* increase vertical possibilities for a given weight/thrust ratio.

Hi BnZs  :)

Would like for u to post the film of ur fight with Klauss' (P38) vs ur Spit.  Thx.

My choice of planes:(1) F4U-4   (2)P38L
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Klauss

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2009, 06:55:23 PM »
I've just watched the movie, saw my mistake, and i knew it was that, when u chased me up, when i had about 200mph left, u had 100mph left, i waited for 1 sec or so, and i thougt to myself "I'll just roll over, he's probably on his belly rolling over or stalling hits nuts off", damn i was wrong  :lol, when i rolled started rolling over i had about 170mph and you hat 50-60mph, you were going to stall/drop in the next 2 seconds, i got overconfindent in my plane, or underestimated your plane for it's climbing ability. As far as i see it, the movie showes nothing, i'm still a noob in the P38 as far as that plane goes, some better sticks in that plane would have done better i'm sure. Why did u flew off imediatly after you got your victory? Do you think that 1 round is enough to establish a mini-rule in your head? that spit16 can beat the p38? I'm still for the P38.

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2009, 07:11:28 PM »
P-38Q!!!

Dang it.  :furious
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2009, 07:41:46 PM »
I think you tested the proposition, whether or not a P-38 can leave a SpitXVI in the vertical from a co-e state, about as well as anyone could.

At the time you let go of the climb, the P-38 57mph, the Spit still had 127mph. It can be held nose-up until at least 80mph, without loosing it. This is what a large thrust/weight advantage will do for you, an advantage that only grows for the SpitXVI at low MA altitudes, rather than the 15-20K we were engaging at.

What you underestimated was not so much the SpitXVI's climbing ability but it's remarkable ability to hold E through maneuvers, which is the difference between how a P-38 and a SpitXVI stack up in a zoom climb test vs. an  actual fight. Against a D9, a plane with an excellent climb rate and zoom but awful E-retention under Gs, the P-38 would have easily won I think.

I've actually done this particular experiment quite a few times, albeit mostly from the other side, no need for multiple re-iterations (especially when its about time for my afternoon snooze. :) ). We can debate whether this advantage to the climber vs. the zoomer is correct,(as opposed, for example, to Bob Johnson's account of his mock fight with a SpitIX) but it seems to be a fact of life in AHII.

I've just watched the movie, saw my mistake, and i knew it was that, when u chased me up, when i had about 200mph left, u had 100mph left, i waited for 1 sec or so, and i thougt to myself "I'll just roll over, he's probably on his belly rolling over or stalling hits nuts off", damn i was wrong  :lol, when i rolled started rolling over i had about 170mph and you hat 50-60mph, you were going to stall/drop in the next 2 seconds, i got overconfindent in my plane, or underestimated your plane for it's climbing ability. As far as i see it, the movie showes nothing, i'm still a noob in the P38 as far as that plane goes, some better sticks in that plane would have done better i'm sure. Why did u flew off imediatly after you got your victory? Do you think that 1 round is enough to establish a mini-rule in your head? that spit16 can beat the p38? I'm still for the P38.

"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2009, 09:17:32 PM »
.....achieve #1 Rank: P-51D, easily.

Really? How many times have you achieved #1 rank in a p51D? For that matter, how many times has anyone achieved #1 rank with the 51D as their primary ride?

To get kills in
How many kill do you have in a 51D?  What's your life time K/D in a 51D?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 09:58:01 PM by Steve »
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve