Author Topic: What do YOU consider the best fighter?  (Read 17922 times)

Offline Cipher2

• Zinc Member
Re: What do YOU consider the best fighter?
« Reply #165 on: May 27, 2009, 04:01:14 PM »
In my opinion, the Spitfire Mark IV and the F4U-4 Corsair are tied, followed by the Spitfire Mark VI and P-51D mustang.

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #166 on: May 27, 2009, 04:13:11 PM »
for ME F4U4. it fits my style of play. it does what I want when I want. F4U1A is next. does the same. just not quite as well or as fast. if I'm defending with little alt, Spit 9, its just fun.
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Cipher2

• Zinc Member
« Reply #167 on: May 27, 2009, 05:37:57 PM »
         In my opinion, the Spitfire Mark XIV and F4U-4 Corsair are tied for best, followed by the P-51D Mustang and the Spitfire Mark XVI. They all rock! :rock

:salute

Offline Sakai

• Silver Member
« Reply #168 on: June 04, 2009, 08:17:05 AM »
In my opinion, the Spitfire Mark IV and the F4U-4 Corsair are tied, followed by the Spitfire Mark VI and P-51D mustang.

All these are great planes, especially for experienced fliers, no one has listed a bad plane.  I think when we're talking about someone new, the best thing to do is tell them pick a fighter, any fighter, and learn that one.  Tell them also to find someone to wing with who loves a particular AC and get assistance.  I'd steer them away fom some ac rather than towards one in particular.  For example, I'd keep them out of Bf110s and P-38s for awhile.  I love the 110 when buff hunting and the 38 is a great ride but I am no master of it. 

The P-51 and Spits are easy to fly, as is the hog and the La-7.  The tendency with new guys is to be impatient though, and a burner like those can make that worse.  Ki-84, is also not a bad choice for beginners and is competitive and maybe more forgiving in a turn. 

"The P-40B does all the work for you . . ."

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #169 on: June 04, 2009, 09:30:33 PM »
Well if I had to pick just one plane I'd say the ME262.

Now thats a controversial statement. I could agree with you, but me being me, I prefer the P47,P38, and P51.  :D
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #170 on: June 04, 2009, 11:02:49 PM »
If I had to pick one and only one I would pick the P47N, no other aircraft has the ability to carry that much ord, and manuver like it can once it has dumped even half it's ord and has that great a boost is speed with WEP, that many guns, and the ability to carry enough fule in drop tanks to operate soley on so you can carry 25% in internal tanks so you can get home and dump the tanks to pick up more speed, reduce drag, increace manuverability, AND take as much damage as the P47N ALL in one package, not even close. But other than that it is P51, P39, F6F, and P38.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #171 on: June 06, 2009, 02:26:02 PM »
I think a Hog or a 38 for a flier who wants a challenge. for a beginner I would say a zeke. dont take much damage, not many cannon rounds (not they're to good anyway). it would teach em to stay of enemy sights and line up their shots. just my 2 cents
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #172 on: June 07, 2009, 12:51:54 PM »
Tempest.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #173 on: June 07, 2009, 08:26:24 PM »
Tempest.

Naw.... Both the F4U-4 and La-7 own the Tempest.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline valdals2

• Zinc Member
« Reply #174 on: June 09, 2009, 02:28:32 PM »
my best fighter are as follows. and its because im the most successful in these.

1. hurricane 2c
2. a6m5 zero
3. spitfire V
4. seafire
5. f4f-5
6. p-51b

Offline bravoa8

• Silver Member
« Reply #175 on: June 09, 2009, 03:32:26 PM »
P51D,and typhoon are my favs for now

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
« Reply #176 on: June 14, 2009, 10:15:05 PM »
for my flying style, 109K4 or 109G14.  The 30mm only allows the enemy one mistake (in most cases).
Karma, it follows you every where you go...

++The Blue Knights++

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #177 on: June 22, 2009, 11:07:39 AM »
 For me,  the average flyer...the best all around plane is the P51D. I get in trouble it gets me out. Decent guns nothing to brag about can get kills and lot of assists. Maneuverability at speed is good. Great plane if flown within its limits. Boom n zoom or one on one a good med..high alt turn fight. Turn fighting on the ground in a P51D is suicide. Overall the P51D is probably one of the easiest planes for a noob.

LA7 great short range fighter. Maneuverable, fast, great guns. Keep the speed up, work the vertical. Another excellent noob plane. Yak not necessarily a noob plane..but its fast good zoom decent gun package.
 Tiffys, Hurrys, C-Hogs, are for cherry pickers and Ho's. I don't fly any of them very often. Corsairs can be killers with a good pilot. Manueverable..fast..decent guns. Fun plane. Spits..put out the flaps your in real trouble..160 mph. Good all around turn plane above 200mph. Good gun package on all but Spit 1. 
 109s were outdated by 1941 but they are still good planes when flown by a good pilot.  '09s and 38s compress big time. Japanese planes..burn baby burn. Don't dive too hard. Excellent otherwise. Ki 84 fast good guns. Decent maneuverability. Zero's great turn planes. Niki..nearly as maneuverable as a Spit with a 4 big cannons. Lot of players like to use the Niki for the HO or cherry picking but it can turn with most planes. Just not as durable. Not as fast as the Corsairs, P51s, Tiffys.. but you have to respect those damn cannons.

As someone said the best fighter is the one you spend time in and learn. Noob advice..pick a plane fly it every day for a year. Do a little research on the website learn about all the planes and you'll get good.   

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #178 on: June 22, 2009, 02:16:10 PM »
38s compress big time.

Only if you don't know what you're doing.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #179 on: June 22, 2009, 04:11:48 PM »
Only if you don't know what you're doing.

ack-ack

well if your trying to catch a diving 190D, your not going to have much luck   :devil
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s