Author Topic: KI84-variants  (Read 2089 times)

Offline zuii

• Copper Member
KI84-variants
« on: April 15, 2009, 11:09:33 PM »
A humble wish for KI84 Variants

KI84ib
KI84ic
39th FS "Cobra in the Clouds"

Empress Zhang: "I love cannons"
(it was not all fun and games inside the forbidden city)

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
Re: KI84-variants
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 12:06:54 AM »
A humble wish for KI84 Variants

KI84ib
KI84ic

Amen, I would enjoy both variants...   :pray

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 01:55:27 AM »
I`m in Japan now and will try to get some data and pics. . .the Ki-84 could use some love - a little more speed and a bit more resistance to simply shedding peices in flight. . .

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 02:19:16 AM »
Ruah if you can find your way into archives with Ki84, or other JPN airforce or navy documentation.. HTC might be interested. 
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 03:30:50 AM »
didn't the   ki84-1c  have 2 x 30mm? 's   :O
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 09:06:29 AM »
I would love to see more variants of the venerable Ki-84!
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 09:48:56 AM »
NO MORE KI'S !!!! We can't get zuii out of the one we have !   :rofl

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 09:59:41 AM »
I second that motion!  More Ki84s please!

Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 11:13:59 AM »
I`m in Japan now and will try to get some data and pics. . .the Ki-84 could use some love - a little more speed and a bit more resistance to simply shedding peices in flight. . .

Would be great if you could find some production numbers! I've looked and can't really find any definative answers.

I also can't find anything about the shedding of parts.

I have found articles that mention the "weakened" wheel struts, but absolutely nothing else on parts falling off the plane.

This problem was never mentioned when the plane was tested by the US using high grade fuel either.

While I'm sure that the incessant Allied bombing of Japan had a detrimental effect on the quality of some of the planes produced near the end of the war, It makes me wonder why we don't see these same quality control issues with any of the German planes.

Would love to see the KI-84lb added.

"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 12:00:08 PM »
It makes me wonder why we don't see these same quality control issues with any of the German planes.

Germany had a far more advanced steel industry and a far more streamlined aircraft production chain. They were just a more advanced Industrial nation then Japan was. That and they had more designer talent in their aircraft Industry.

The aircraft production industry was always far more stressed in Japan then Germany's was. Japan had fewer factories making their engines and were easily targeted by Yank bombers. Boy, I could go on and on. Heres some facts and figures that shows what a bad decision it was for Japan to go to war with the industrial Juggernaut called America. http://www.combinedfleet.com/economic.htm

"Desperation" is not normally a good climate for quality control of precision machine parts for an aircraft industry.

Lastly I would hazard that Germany over-ran, and took into Empire, relatively advanced Euro countries whose production capabilities could be easily absorbed into the greater Reich. Who did Japan over-run? Borneo? Philippines? China? Malaysia? Absorbing these countries might have given the Japs some long term security regarding resources but none of them gave Japan immediate , first world Industrial production capability to absorb into their own.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 12:42:03 PM »
Yes more Ki84s please! +1  :aok

-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 09:06:18 PM »
Ruah if you can find your way into archives with Ki84, or other JPN airforce or navy documentation.. HTC might be interested. 

I can get access to archives due to being somewhat connected in academia here (I graduated from Kyoto U. <formerly Kyoto Imperial U.>) but if anyone knows where to look (specific libraries and archives) then it will make the search a LOT easier.  I`ll ask around.

On a side note:  I don`t think handicapping the IJN/A airplanes due to late war quality control is good for AH.  The planes should be balanced with perfect quality control in mind - this would mean the KI84 would get - self-sealing fuel tanks (not as good as the Ironworks planes but its significant), 12 inch armor protection for the pilots (if anyone noticed how even getting a scratch in a KI will wound the pilot 80% of the time?), and a top speed 425 mph or so on the deck. . .not as fast as the U.S. counterparts, but its a lot faster then it is now (but it does not go much faster at altitude. .. which is where the Ki is weak).  The airplane shredding to pieces is just ridiculous.

the idea of having 2 20mm and 2 30mm cannons on a Ki84-Ic (i think) sounds like a lot of fun. . .even if its a a lot of firepower in such an acrobatic plane (but a possible IJ perk plane?)

TBH - I think having the KI84 variations would be far more valuable then the N1k2 which never really saw action (and the stats for that plane are really academic).

sorry for the rant.

Ruah

« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 09:07:57 PM by Ruah »

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 09:26:48 PM »
I don't recall any wartime prop fighter doing 400TAS or more on the deck.
I can get access to archives but if anyone knows where to look (specific libraries and archives) then it will make the search a LOT easier.
Call or email Pyro at HTC.  :)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 09:29:01 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 09:52:32 PM »
I can get access to archives due to being somewhat connected in academia here (I graduated from Kyoto U. <formerly Kyoto Imperial U.>) but if anyone knows where to look (specific libraries and archives) then it will make the search a LOT easier.  I`ll ask around.

On a side note:  I don`t think handicapping the IJN/A airplanes due to late war quality control is good for AH.  The planes should be balanced with perfect quality control in mind - this would mean the KI84 would get - self-sealing fuel tanks (not as good as the Ironworks planes but its significant), 12 inch armor protection for the pilots (if anyone noticed how even getting a scratch in a KI will wound the pilot 80% of the time?), and a top speed 425 mph or so on the deck. . .not as fast as the U.S. counterparts, but its a lot faster then it is now (but it does not go much faster at altitude. .. which is where the Ki is weak).  The airplane shredding to pieces is just ridiculous.

the idea of having 2 20mm and 2 30mm cannons on a Ki84-Ic (i think) sounds like a lot of fun. . .even if its a a lot of firepower in such an acrobatic plane (but a possible IJ perk plane?)

TBH - I think having the KI84 variations would be far more valuable then the N1k2 which never really saw action (and the stats for that plane are really academic).

sorry for the rant.

Ruah

BOOM!! We have a winner!!

Well said!! :rock
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 01:23:32 AM »
425 on the deck in what parallel universe?

We started out with a plane that had no WEP and a max boost of 200. Through extensive researching into historical documents (in Japanese, no less) one forum member supplied HTC with more accurate numbers, giving us our current performance in-game, not to mention the addition of 450-boost WEP for 3 minutes.

Don't believe everything you read, ESPECIALLY about certain Japanese planes and the propoganda that surrounds them on the Internet. Case in point the Ki84. Another case in point the Ki-100 (just to whet your whistle).