Author Topic: X2 7750 Owners  (Read 449 times)

Offline TheZohan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
X2 7750 Owners
« on: April 16, 2009, 01:03:23 AM »
for those that run the X2 7750

do you have the bug that is present in non-phenom core X2's

looking for conformation.

my X2 3800+ had it
my X2 5000+ had it

my X2 7750 does not ...

my understanding is that the X2 7750 is really a quad core with two bad cores shut down.  which may explain why the bug isnt present.

Each of these parts are based on 65nm architecture, the processor has roughly 450 million transistors. The processors are manufactured in AMD's Dresden plant and make use of AMD's 65nm SOI-fabrication.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-athlon-x2-7750-be-review/2

[/quote Now this is interesting: the 95W TDP & 450 million transistors also raises a question, could these be quad-core processors with two cores disabled? The specs are certainly the same. /quote]

this  confirms its a Quad Core with 2 cores shut down.

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=16614&page=2

that being said and skuzzy making some final checks to validate the find..

i would suggest all non-phenom X2's owners to upgrade if they have the means.

newegg has it on sale for 59.99 with free shipping.  should fit on most AM2+ boards with a bios update.  the level 3 cache with the ability to use the second core without the bug should improve play and other functions on your computer

plus it OC's to 3.3ghz-3.6ghz on air.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 02:00:32 AM by TheZohan »

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
Re: X2 7750 Owners
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 03:46:02 AM »
What bug are you talking about?

I noticed that processor too a while ago and recommended it to a friend building a new rig. To me it looked very much like a 2 core Phenom to begin with and I think for that price its a good deal "bang for the buck" wise.

I wouldn't be too surprised if it was meant originally to compete with Intels in some class but AMD probably noticed that it does not have enough power to look good in its class and decided to postpone its release and released it later in budget class without much fuss. Dunno about release dates and such so this is just wild speculation...  ;)

-C+

Ed. Does not perform too well against Athlon 6000+ though...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 03:54:51 AM by Charge »
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 08:35:51 AM »
What bug are you talking about?

I noticed that processor too a while ago and recommended it to a friend building a new rig. To me it looked very much like a 2 core Phenom to begin with and I think for that price its a good deal "bang for the buck" wise.

I wouldn't be too surprised if it was meant originally to compete with Intels in some class but AMD probably noticed that it does not have enough power to look good in its class and decided to postpone its release and released it later in budget class without much fuss. Dunno about release dates and such so this is just wild speculation...  ;)

-C+

Ed. Does not perform too well against Athlon 6000+ though...

AMD had/has an issue with their core and hyperthreading that Aces High hits. The symptom is when you start the game a page keeps spinning off the clipboard. To get around it, you have to shut one of the cores down. This may have been fixed, that is what the Zohan is trying to get info on.

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 09:48:05 AM »
Slight hijack here.

With the Dual Core optimizer, it is shutting down a core?  That is the only fix I am using, and if it is shutting down a core this is a fast single core.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 11:18:17 AM »
The dual core optimizer fixes the problem by providing a software interface to handle the hardware issue.  It does not work all the time, but in situations it does, it is the preferred fix.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline TheZohan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 02:53:14 AM »
i haven't installed the dual core optimzer with the X2 7750 and haven't had a issue with nothing.

skuzzy - being that the 7750 isn't a native dual core cpu , does that have a difference in the way it acts.  or that its a phenom core?

haven't had and confirmation that the 7750 is bug free from anyone else. hoping for someone else to put there experience with this CPU with AH2

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 06:06:24 AM »
Sure, that it is from a different core family could be why it is working now.  I really hope they did address the problem.  It would not surprise me if they did.  Sure would make life easier for me.

Confirmation, one way or another, is all I need.  AMD has not said anything about addressing the problem in any of thier erratas.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 07:05:23 AM »

AMD had/has an issue with their core and hyperthreading that Aces High hits. The symptom is when you start the game a page keeps spinning off the clipboard. To get around it, you have to shut one of the cores down. This may have been fixed, that is what the Zohan is trying to get info on.

People should really know what they are talking about before writing posts like this -

1) AMD don't use hyperthreading.
2) You don't 'shut' down one of the cores.

Bug - Some games use RTDSC timing instead of Windows timing. Only seems to be present in XP, 2000 and Vista don't appear to have it.

Fix, one of -
a) The AMD optimiser takes care of the majority of these cases.
b) Set processor affinity
c) Start game in Win 98 compatibilty mode

None of which "shut off" a core

« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 07:12:00 AM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 07:15:14 AM »
Actually, the problem does exist in Vista as Vista uses the same memory/thread manager from XP.

2000 is the only OS Microsoft shipped which does not have this problem.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 07:39:54 AM »
Actually, the problem does exist in Vista as Vista uses the same memory/thread manager from XP.

2000 is the only OS Microsoft shipped which does not have this problem.

Thats why I said seemed.
Microsofts thread handler has been broken since 2000.
I though Microsofts way round it (kludge) in Vista was to lock processes to cores instead of allowing them to move between cores?
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 08:12:24 AM »
People should really know what they are talking about before writing posts like this -

1) AMD don't use hyperthreading.
2) You don't 'shut' down one of the cores.

Bug - Some games use RTDSC timing instead of Windows timing. Only seems to be present in XP, 2000 and Vista don't appear to have it.

Fix, one of -
a) The AMD optimiser takes care of the majority of these cases.
b) Set processor affinity
c) Start game in Win 98 compatibilty mode

None of which "shut off" a core

Sorry, only posting what I've read on these boards posted by Skuzzy and other tech folks. The post I replied to wanted to know the "issue" and I told him what I knew.

1) AMD don't use hyperthreading.-------I understand that the game does, maybe thats the issue?
2) You don't 'shut' down one of the cores.----------I was under the impression that running in WIN98 mode shuts down one processor, also seem to remember seeing it in the "task manager" once when I did it.

I also seem to remember a number of people who couldn't get the game to run with either fixes and ended up buying an Intel rig to play. 

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 09:34:08 AM »
Semantics. 

"Hyperthreading" is a word coined by Intel for the psuedo-CPU they have included in the old Northwood series P4 and in the i7 family.  However, in the i7 family it is a much better implementation and was done in an effort to keep the CPU's execution units busy.

Aces High II is a true multi-threaded game.  If the AMD dual-core optimzer did not solve problems in XP, or if the user runs Vista, then switching the game to Windows 98/ME compatibility mode, forces the OS to lock the game to one core.  It is an easy way to get around the problem.  99% of the people out there have no idea what processor affinity means.

I do not know of anyone who has not been able to make the game playable with one of the above hacks, but I do know of players who were frustrated they were not able to get the most out of thier computers due to the issue.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese