Author Topic: Love the game but...  (Read 1417 times)

Offline newmac

• Zinc Member
Love the game but...
« on: April 16, 2009, 08:47:05 PM »
Wow, guys I love the game, the excitement, graphics (given my old computer) but I seem to be up against people spending thousands of $ building units to play.
I went through the free session and got hooked...(always interested anyway) but someone tell me how I can be nothing more than cannon fodder here; having a 6 year old computer with limited memory.
I even have my own Lazair ultralite (a real plane) but nothing compares to the efforts going on here.
Snarglie

Offline stroker71

• Silver Member
Re: Love the game but...
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 08:53:02 PM »
Learning curve here is steep if you want to get past cannon fodder.  Been here for a few years and I feel like fodder sometimes.   Find a trainer, read, get in the game and practice what you learned.  One pointer:  It's better to know your opponents plane than your own.

<S> DuHasst
Back to DuHasst
Here since tour 84
Quote by Uptown "It's one thing to play the game...quite another to live there."

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 09:01:19 PM »
One pointer:  It's better to know your opponents plane than your own.

<S> DuHasst

And that would be a rather poor point to push on someone and a piece of advice I do not recommend anyone follow.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline newmac

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 09:16:17 PM »
Hi Ack Ack...
Thanks for that and I feel it to be valuable info for first timer...but... knowing your oponent in any competitive event is definately an advantage...can he turn as well as you...can he climb as fast... how much ammo does he have and what caliber...my p38 has a dive limit before it can't come out of it (so does my Lazair as a matter of fact)
I've seen you in action in my free session...i'mn impressed I must say!! but I need the ability to gain the upper hand against you in combat or at least the ability to compete evenly, given my capabilities.
Once again, thanks for the input!

Offline stroker71

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 11:09:11 PM »
And that would be a rather poor point to push on someone and a piece of advice I do not recommend anyone follow.

ack-ack

Please explain why.  I find it rather important to know you opponent's plane and the abilities.  Not only that but his alt, e-state, and other factors that you put into consideration on what you do next.  I admire you and your piloting skills in this game but you have become a condescending jerk with little to add.  Fine disagree with me i am OK with that then help this person instead of attacking me.  I offered something you did not other than a lame BnZ-run type attack.  When I first started it was my lack of knowledge of the flight model that help me back more than anything.
Back to DuHasst
Here since tour 84
Quote by Uptown "It's one thing to play the game...quite another to live there."

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 11:28:44 PM »
Newmac you need to hook up with a trainer or a more experienced player. They can give you advice that is a virtual lifesaver.

If you want to survive longer in fights you should avoid going into furballs and starting to turn with several opponents. Instead keep tactical advantage and dictate when you will engage and who. If someone attacks you, always move towards friendly players and try to lure him to lose his altitude if he's higher than you.

When you attack someone, never stay in fight after you start to think you can't turn fast enough to get him, instead extend and reposition.

When you attack someone, always keep an eye on your enemy but at all times always look above, behind and on your sides. All the time. Otherwise you're going to get killed by the enemy you don't see.

Stuff like this, to learn in practise.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 12:30:41 AM »
I think you need to re-post in the Help & Training forum.

Don't expect miracles.  I've been doing this for 13 years and am by no means among the elite.  Do your best and enjoy the journey.

What kind of machine do you have?  Maybe there are some inexpensive upgrades that could help you from that end.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline BluTrain

• Copper Member
      • Jagdgeschwader 53
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 02:23:51 AM »
Welcome newmac! A couple of posts up someone mentioned a steep learning curve - this is very true. The best advice I can give you, and I'm no expert here ( playing AH for several years under various names at various times) is to stick with it if you like the game. Find a trainer, join up on some of the organized missions in the Main Arena, try to wing up with someone - MANY people in the arena's are more than happy to help.  If you have any interest in Historical combat see if you can make it to one of the Snapshots or Scenarios or join up with a squad and try out the Friday Squad Ops (FSO is for registered squads only) - these 'events' are one of the BEST parts of the game IMHO.

About Hardware - true some people do spend thousands on gaming rigs - this, again in my opinion, is not necessary. Until recently, I was playing on a machine I build for around $600 in '02 or '03 AND having fun. My new machine was around the same price point. Check out the hardware forum here if you need help upgrading your current equipment, optimizing what you have, or buying/building a new one.

I fly under the call sign BluTrain in the main arena on the Rooks - I'm no expert but I'd be happy to help where I can. :salute
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 03:09:42 AM by BluTrain »
Major 'Technischer Offizier' I/JG53

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 07:00:10 AM »
The one place where money can buy you an advantage is in an online game.

Newer computers with top end graphics and top controllers will give you and edge.
But it tends to be expensive to try to keep that edge.

Generally speaking, first year in AH on a new kickbut system rocks.
2nd year is good, but as updates happen and some guys get newer systems you start losing that edge.
Depending on how good that system was, 3rd year can be pretty fair, or it can be sliding down the slope.

Systems seem to hang onto more horsepower than they used to, but a 6 yr old system is well past replacement point IMO. 

Someplace around the 3 - 4 years for a system seems to be a fair balance between money spent and return on that investment. If you build it yourself for around 6-700$ thats only a couple hundred a year or 20 dollars a month.

Pretty reasonable for the entertainment you can get out of it actually.

Offline _vic_

• Copper Member
      • imagitronics.org
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 08:15:05 AM »
Some excellent points from everyone here - and while it is true that having a monster rig can offer you some advantages, believe me when I say that for your first year of play your PC hardware will be the least of your concerns in terms of combat success.

One thing that you must always keep in mind is that some of these guys have been playing this (or similar predecessor) games for 10+ years. Not only do they know their aircraft's limitations and strengths, but the limitations of YOUR aircraft as well.

But don't let that dissuade you. The enjoyment is in the journey. Appreciate your victories, however small, and learn from your mistakes.

In addition to hooking up with a trainer, shop around for a good squad. Don't just join up with the first squad that invites you. Fly with them for a while and make sure they're a good fit for you. Some squads enjoy base capture, others enjoy a good furball (dogfight). Still other squads like to conduct bombing missions, or just hang out in the dueling arena. This game is only as good as the community of people you surround yourself with. Find like-minded individuals and then start coming up with excuses for missing time with your family/friends  :devil.

<S> and all the best to you. I'm vic in game, and I've only been playing for 4-6 months myself so I know where you're coming from. Feel free to hit me up if you see me around and I'll help in whatever way I can.

Tim

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 08:36:21 AM »
Sure a nice system can give you an edge, but in my opinion, working with an experienced pilot and learning how to fight effectively is waaaaaaaay waaaaaaay more important then how fast your video card is...

Of course, I guess it is possible to have a computer so slow that the game is practically unplayable.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 09:04:14 AM »
I wouldn't worry about being fodder, I think everyone was at some point when they started. Took me 6 months before I started to recognize where the fight was going and what my opponent was doing and able to actually hit a target with any consistency.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 10:55:21 AM »
Wow, guys I love the game, the excitement, graphics (given my old computer) but I seem to be up against people spending thousands of $ building units to play.
I went through the free session and got hooked...(always interested anyway) but someone tell me how I can be nothing more than cannon fodder here; having a 6 year old computer with limited memory.
I even have my own Lazair ultralite (a real plane) but nothing compares to the efforts going on here.
Snarglie

You dont need a monster machine to run AH at full settings.  A six year old PC may be pushing it, but you can get away with a new, $500 build and do just fine and dandy.

The real cost to play is in peripheral equipment.  Wait until you start having to justify $400+ on joysticks, throttles and rudder pedals to the old lady.  ;)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 12:12:37 PM »
Hi Ack Ack...
Thanks for that and I feel it to be valuable info for first timer...but... knowing your oponent in any competitive event is definately an advantage...can he turn as well as you...can he climb as fast... how much ammo does he have and what caliber..

It is very important to know the strength and weaknesses of other aircraft but not to the point where you know more about the other plane than the one you're flying.  All that guarantees that you'll lose the fight because you don't know the own limits of your plane.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline j500ss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 12:40:41 PM »
newmac, welcome to the addiction  :lol. All the advise you'll get here is as good as you'll get anywhere. Yea a new system will help you, will it make you tons better? Probably not, there is a HUGE learning curve here, I have been in game just over a year, I'm not sure I'm even average yet ( probably not in all truth) . Find a trainer, and work with them, pick a plane and stick with it till you know its abilities inside and out.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, take films and have others look at them, it is a steep and tall hill, but you will hit a point where it all comes together. Then you'll start to understand things better, fly better, and not always be cannon fodder.

Did I mention the HUGE learning curve here??? :D

Most of all, remember it is just a game, you play to have fun, hang with different people and get away from real life for a while.

:salute  Have fun!