Author Topic: Duel of the Spits  (Read 1824 times)

Offline Clone155

• Silver Member
Duel of the Spits
« on: April 17, 2009, 04:56:52 PM »
Hello all, lets begin.

I have a curious question...

Lets say a spitfire MK16 met a spitfire MK14 at an altitude of about 5K, there energy is of normal cruising speed for both planes, and the pilots are both clones of the best player out there. Who would win?

I personally think the spitfire MK16 would win just because I have started this game always believing that the "SPIXTEEN IS UB3R" just from hearing it from others and such. Any thoughts?

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Duel of the Spits
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 05:16:18 PM »
Spitfire Mk XVI would have the advantage.  Move the duel to 25,000ft and the Spitfire Mk XIV has the advantage.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 05:25:07 PM »
If the XIV was not in the same family as some of the friendliest-handling aircraft in the game, its handling quirks would not get the air-time they do and it would be considered a stone-cold killer.

It is possible for the SpitXIV to win a "duel", but yes, the SpitXVI is substantially the better  close-in dogfighter at low alts. As it is compared to a P-51, Fw-190 D9., Bf-109K4, Typhoon, etc. However, the SpitXIV, like those other planes, doesn't really HAVE to engage the SpitXVI if it keeps its speed and SA up. The SpitXVI out-runs or keeps pace with quite a few planes it grossly-out turns, out-climsbs, and out-accelerates, this is true, however I daresay this would be even more true of the XIV.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 08:12:30 PM »
Going to disagree -

@5k
The XIV is a good 15mph or so faster than the XVI without WEP and about 20mph faster with WEP.
Climb rates are about the same with WEP, XIV has a slight advantage without WEP.

So assuming the cloned pilot flies the XIV to it's strengths (doesn't get into a knife fight) he can choose when to engage and dis-engage, the XVI could end up just chasing him around.

However, give the XVI 25lbs boost I would give the edge to the XVI, but then to be fair you would have to boost the XIV to 21lbs and then the advantage swings back in favour of it.

Resonally I think the XVI has to wait on the XIV making a mistake, however with cloned pilots I'd bet on a draw.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 08:18:27 PM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 09:51:01 PM »
I fly the spit 14 all the time and I never had trouble killing spitfire 16s. Just don't turn in lever with them. Spit 14 has much more power and if used correctly spit 16 will not stand a chance.

But with a cloned pilot kev is right:
however with cloned pilots I'd bet on a draw.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 11:33:48 PM »
If the XIV was not in the same family as some of the friendliest-handling aircraft in the game, its handling quirks would not get the air-time they do and it would be considered a stone-cold killer.
False.  The Spit XIV is much less pleasant to use that any other fighter in the game.  It is the only one I know of that actively fights me while I use it.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 11:46:11 PM »
False.  The Spit XIV is much less pleasant to use that any other fighter in the game.  It is the only one I know of that actively fights me while I use it.

Try a Ta-152
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 11:53:18 PM »
Try a Ta-152
The Ta-152 is docile compared to the Spitfire MkXIV, to be quite honest.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 11:53:48 PM »

You have got to be kidding me.
14 is as good as it gets
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 12:57:58 AM »
Karnak:
It is too much plane to be unperked. The SpitXIV is in a bad place...too superior to too much to be unperked, not as good as the other perk planes.

Why don't you work on having the handling looked at? That seems a more logical avenue.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 01:01:35 AM »
I did, nothing happened.  The handling issues are not the kinds of things that you can find in graphs and charts.

As to the Ta152, it is vastly more benign than the Spitfire Mk XIV in terms of handling.

There is no justification for the Spitfire Mk XIV being perked while the Bf109K-4 is not.  Almost everything you can say about one, you can say about the other.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 01:08:02 AM »
I did, nothing happened.  The handling issues are not the kinds of things that you can find in graphs and charts.

As to the Ta152, it is vastly more benign than the Spitfire Mk XIV in terms of handling.

There is no justification for the Spitfire Mk XIV being perked while the Bf109K-4 is not.  Almost everything you can say about one, you can say about the other.
Well...I'm sorry. I got 10mph too slow A-5 issues over my way...

Luck being what it is, it would be unperked and THEN have its handling looked at.

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 01:09:42 AM »
I have a hunch the player would have to use the 14's climb as an advantage perhaps, but then again, I don't know how it matches up to the 16.
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 01:10:34 AM »
spitfire 14 deserves to be perked.
It has a very good combination of a powerful engine, climb rate, maneuverability, and guns.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 01:11:18 AM »
I have a hunch the player would have to use the 14's climb as an advantage perhaps, but then again, I don't know how it matches up to the 16.

it's better than 16's.
I outclimbed a ton of spit 16 on my 14

It's wings are not clipped, and it has a more powerful engine.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn