Author Topic: With this MB, CPU what Vid card would you get?  (Read 2614 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: With this MB, CPU what Vid card would you get?
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2009, 12:20:10 AM »
That's right, you went down this road. It was the vsync correct? Couldn't be used in SLI if I remember correctly.

Yep. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline RELIC

• Nickel Member
      • http://DFA-Squad.org/
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2009, 12:45:16 PM »
DDR3 (1.9v)  and DDR3 Tri-Channel (1.65 ~ 1.7v) is also notched differently.  The notch is not gonna fit correctly.
DDR3 Tri Channel and DDR3 dual channel... it will not work properly.  You will have problems because of the Voltage difference.
I'm confused here.  Which one is it; it is notched differently and won't fit on the MB, or it will not work properly?
DGSII Scenario-2012  352nd FG/487th FS
P-51D "Cold Gin"
Noseart

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2009, 04:32:32 PM »
I'm confused here.  Which one is it; it is notched differently and won't fit on the MB, or it will not work properly?
I stand corrected the DDR3 Dual and the DDR3 Tri are notched the same.  But you will have problems with the voltages for sure.  1.7 max on the Tri Channel and mininum of 1.9 on the DDR3 Dual channel

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2009, 04:34:30 PM »
You'll get a bunch of screen tearing unless your using a CRT.  Have fun.
No problems in SLI or TRI SLI using ACER X221W flat panels.  Folks have bought boxes from me and are running SLI and no problems.

Offline RELIC

• Nickel Member
      • http://DFA-Squad.org/
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2009, 05:00:22 PM »
I stand corrected the DDR3 Dual and the DDR3 Tri are notched the same.  But you will have problems with the voltages for sure.  1.7 max on the Tri Channel and mininum of 1.9 on the DDR3 Dual channel
Got it.  I suppose there is the problem of dual channel MB's not having low enough voltage settings?
DGSII Scenario-2012  352nd FG/487th FS
P-51D "Cold Gin"
Noseart

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2009, 05:37:09 PM »

Learned something here. Never realized that a 775 board supported DDR3. In fact I didn't know that DDR3 came in dual channel mode. I figured that memory was matched only for the i7. However, when I looked for the voltage out put on the mb of dadog I didn't see the specs. Well not on Newegg anyway.

Boy this gets confusing.  :lol

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2009, 05:49:54 PM »
Learned something here. Never realized that a 775 board supported DDR3. In fact I didn't know that DDR3 came in dual channel mode. I figured that memory was matched only for the i7. However, when I looked for the voltage out put on the mb of dadog I didn't see the specs. Well not on Newegg anyway.

Boy this gets confusing.  :lol
The Gigbyte GA-EP45T-UD3P is a socket 775 board.  It accepts memory to 2200 / 1600 / 1333 /1066 / 800  The FSB states 1600 max but I have pushed this to over 1800 without incident.  My thoughts with the memory chosen is that it is Tri Channel DDR3 meaning "low voltage", if he runs it at 1066 or 1333 there may not be a problem, but anything over that even with manually setting the volts and timings, I think the memory will have a short life.

EDIT: The Gigbyte GA-EP45-UD3P is a DDR2 board

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2009, 06:08:38 PM »
The Gigbyte GA-EP45T-UD3P is a socket 775 board.  It accepts memory to 2200 / 1600 / 1333 /1066 / 800  The FSB states 1600 max but I have pushed this to over 1800 without incident.  My thoughts with the memory chosen is that it is Tri Channel DDR3 meaning "low voltage", if he runs it at 1066 or 1333 there may not be a problem, but anything over that even with manually setting the volts and timings, I think the memory will have a short life.

EDIT: The Gigbyte GA-EP45-UD3P is a DDR2 board

Ah rgr, Still though was surprised that a 775 board supported ddr3. I was looking at a different gigabyte board that had the same model # except for the last 4.

The real funny thing was that I was going to recommend Windows XP 32 bit OS and then realized that Windows 32 bit only supports up to 3.5 gigs of ram.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2009, 02:00:31 AM »
The real funny thing was that I was going to recommend Windows XP 32 bit OS and then realized that Windows 32 bit only supports up to 3.5 gigs of ram.

Is that a problem? I've never run into a situation so far where I would have needed more than that in gaming use.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2009, 10:41:48 AM »
Is that a problem? I've never run into a situation so far where I would have needed more than that in gaming use.

I don't know now that you mention it. I know he has 6 gigs of ddr3 ram over 3 slots. I assumed he wanted it all to show up. However, I guess the real question is can you use ddr3 with a 32bit os.

Offline TheZohan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2009, 11:46:06 AM »
I don't know now that you mention it. I know he has 6 gigs of ddr3 ram over 3 slots. I assumed he wanted it all to show up. However, I guess the real question is can you use ddr3 with a 32bit os.

so would DDR3 be faster then DDR2 in dual channel mode?

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2009, 02:41:20 AM »

More sensible would be to use 3x1Gb modules. x64 is inevitably trouble still at the moment. I've used w7 x64 for a few months now and while it's the best OS I've tried in some ways, compatability wise it's one of the worst. Many many things just won't work, including my brand new HP color laser printer.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2009, 08:19:14 AM »
I am working on the system now. Everything arrived in short order. I will let you guys know how it turned out.

I went with the 6 gig memory thinking that in the future I might upgrade the OS, but for now I am just using XP.

The exact MB I bought
GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-UD3P supports DDR3 memory.
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2009, 12:34:52 PM »
I am working on the system now. Everything arrived in short order. I will let you guys know how it turned out.

I went with the 6 gig memory thinking that in the future I might upgrade the OS, but for now I am just using XP.

The exact MB I bought
GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-UD3P supports DDR3 memory.
If I recall this is TriChannel Memory.  This memory in its own settings on the chips, looks to the CPU rather then the NB for its control.  So the NB is gonna be taking to the memory and the memory is gonna say something like "your a stranger, I don't know you, go away before I tell my mommy your a bad chipset".  In other words, I would call Gigabyte and the memory maker and tell then what your intending, using DDR3 Tri Channel on a vinella DDR3 board.  If I am thinking right this will last 90 days or less before MB issues, Memory issues.  If it is OCZ memory it will record the highest voltage and store it on the chip.  If the voltage is over 1.7 your warranty is kaput, not so sure about the BIOS on the GB MB, but if it has a similar storage that warranty is gone too.  My buc two fifty input

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2009, 12:46:30 PM »
If I recall this is TriChannel Memory.  This memory in its own settings on the chips, looks to the CPU rather then the NB for its control.  So the NB is gonna be taking to the memory and the memory is gonna say something like "your a stranger, I don't know you, go away before I tell my mommy your a bad chipset".  In other words, I would call Gigabyte and the memory maker and tell then what your intending, using DDR3 Tri Channel on a vinella DDR3 board.  If I am thinking right this will last 90 days or less before MB issues, Memory issues.  If it is OCZ memory it will record the highest voltage and store it on the chip.  If the voltage is over 1.7 your warranty is kaput, not so sure about the BIOS on the GB MB, but if it has a similar storage that warranty is gone too.  My buc two fifty input

Tildeath, what happens if you use a 32bit OS with 6 gigs of DDR3? Will it be able to operate?