Author Topic: With this MB, CPU what Vid card would you get?  (Read 2620 times)

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
Re: With this MB, CPU what Vid card would you get?
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2009, 09:17:27 AM »
Maybe I'm lost here, but isn't the ddr3 set up differently physically. I mean the notch for alignment on the ddr3 is located differently than the notch for ddr2. That being said it shouldn't fit that board.
Yes DDR3 is notched different then DDR2.  DDR3 (1.9v)  and DDR3 Tri-Channel (1.65 ~ 1.7v) is also notched differently.  The poster ordered DDR3 2GB x 3 = 6GB .  This memory will not on this board.  The notch is not gonna fit correctly.  Eagle there is no reason NOT to run DDR3 Dual Channel on this board.  Some Reaper or Platinum will dial the board in at 1600+ FSB.  The boards upper DDR3 mem rating is over 2200MHz, but the highest mem made currently is 2000MHz.

I also have concerns with the PSU choice, this is a High volt/amp video card, high volt mem, higher volt CPU, and I know the board is power hungry having used this board in a lot of builds.  I hope the system works out for the builder.

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2009, 09:23:29 AM »
well i would go with the Q6600 if i was to go with a Quad, (twice the cache then the Q8200)
The Q6600's are not longer in production.  If you can not hand pick one then stay away.  If you can look at the box prior to purchase then you need a G0 (G ZERO ) series.  If no G0 is available then its not worth it.  As the supply for the G0 start becoming low, the pricing goes up.  6 months ago a Q6600 G0 was able to be had for about 140.00 now they are in the 250 range for a guaranteed G0.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2009, 09:27:16 AM »
Yes DDR3 is notched different then DDR2.  DDR3 (1.9v)  and DDR3 Tri-Channel (1.65 ~ 1.7v) is also notched differently.  The poster ordered DDR3 2GB x 3 = 6GB .  This memory will not on this board.  The notch is not gonna fit correctly.  Eagle there is no reason NOT to run DDR3 Dual Channel on this board.  Some Reaper or Platinum will dial the board in at 1600+ FSB.  The boards upper DDR3 mem rating is over 2200MHz, but the highest mem made currently is 2000MHz.

I also have concerns with the PSU choice, this is a High volt/amp video card, high volt mem, higher volt CPU, and I know the board is power hungry having used this board in a lot of builds.  I hope the system works out for the builder.

I brought up the concern about the PSU before. If I've learned just one thing from Skuzzy it's the importance of power supplies. Putting a marginal power supply in an other wise top notch computer is like installing a lawnmower engine in a BMW.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2009, 09:33:39 AM »
I brought up the concern about the PSU before. If I've learned just one thing from Skuzzy it's the importance of power supplies. Putting a marginal power supply in an other wise top notch computer is like installing a lawnmower engine in a BMW.

Yep.   I have friends that will want my advice and go against it, only to piss and moan later.   I mock them constantly.   Buying a cheap PSU on any build is money wasted. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2009, 10:10:11 AM »
So you guys think that memory will actually not fit in that MB??? This would greatly surprise me because on mwave if you go with motherboard bundles you can select a MB, CPU, and memory to go with it. They then assemble it and test it for free. I assumed the memory would go with that MB as it was one of the drop down choices for that MB.

As far as the power supply I may set that case/power supply for my daughter as she might get my left overs and then just get another. I know power supplies could cause some real problems.

What case with power supply would you suggest for that MB?
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2009, 10:39:29 AM »
So you guys think that memory will actually not fit in that MB??? This would greatly surprise me because on mwave if you go with motherboard bundles you can select a MB, CPU, and memory to go with it. They then assemble it and test it for free. I assumed the memory would go with that MB as it was one of the drop down choices for that MB.

As far as the power supply I may set that case/power supply for my daughter as she might get my left overs and then just get another. I know power supplies could cause some real problems.

What case with power supply would you suggest for that MB?

I'm just not sure about that memory. Do you have a link to this combo. I only know there's a difference in fit.

As far as combos, case and ps, I don't know. I like PC Power & Cooling power supplies. Tildeath adds OCZ PS to his list and I can accept that. He knows what he's doing. What I would look at is he Antec 900 or the NZXT

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146047 NZXT case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021 Antec 900

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009 PC Power & Cooling PS

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2009, 10:52:15 AM »
Eagle there is no reason NOT to run DDR3 Dual Channel on this board. 

That's why I recommended dual channel memory configurations.

What I was trying to say was, if you're going to buy a DDR3 board then why buy one that doesn't support triple channel?  If it's only going to run dual channel anyway just save the $ and buy a dual channel board supporting (cheaper) DDR2.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline RELIC

• Nickel Member
      • http://DFA-Squad.org/
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2009, 11:59:41 AM »
Core 2 Duo cpu/MB's do not support TRIPLE channel, but some of the newer MB's for C2D do support DDR3 in DUAL channel.  I didn't check the specs on that MB but from what others have said it supports DD3.  If that is true, then triple channel DD3 will work BUT:
1 - If you insert an odd total number of sticks (1,3,5) it will only run in single channel - unless of course it is an i7 setup.    Preferably you should insert even numbers (2,4,6) for it to run in dual channel.
2 - The voltage limits for triple channel DDR3 are generally lower than dual channel DDR3.  Make sure you don't send too much juice to em.

EDIT:  All things considered, even tho the Triple channel will plug in, you are probably better off to go with Dual Channel.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 12:19:26 PM by RELIC »
DGSII Scenario-2012  352nd FG/487th FS
P-51D "Cold Gin"
Noseart

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2009, 04:22:05 PM »
Core 2 Duo cpu/MB's do not support TRIPLE channel, but some of the newer MB's for C2D do support DDR3 in DUAL channel.  I didn't check the specs on that MB but from what others have said it supports DD3.  If that is true, then triple channel DD3 will work BUT:
1 - If you insert an odd total number of sticks (1,3,5) it will only run in single channel - unless of course it is an i7 setup.    Preferably you should insert even numbers (2,4,6) for it to run in dual channel.
2 - The voltage limits for triple channel DDR3 are generally lower than dual channel DDR3.  Make sure you don't send too much juice to em.

EDIT:  All things considered, even tho the Triple channel will plug in, you are probably better off to go with Dual Channel.

DDR3 Tri Channel and DDR3 dual channel... it will not work properly.  You will have problems because of the Voltage difference.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 04:26:00 PM by TilDeath »

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2009, 04:28:41 PM »
I'm just not sure about that memory. Do you have a link to this combo. I only know there's a difference in fit.

As far as combos, case and ps, I don't know. I like PC Power & Cooling power supplies. Tildeath adds OCZ PS to his list and I can accept that. He knows what he's doing. What I would look at is he Antec 900 or the NZXT

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146047 NZXT case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021 Antec 900

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009 PC Power & Cooling PS
I agree with the parts here other then the Antec  :eek:  to much money for what you get.  I can save you some monies on the OCZ or PC P & C or OCZ PSU's

Seems like your trying to do a cross between a budget build and higher end which is ok.  But your cutting corners in the most important places.

For the MB you ordered  Tempest Case, OCZ or PC P&C 600watt or more PSU, Video card fine, HSF OCZ Vendetta 2 (not vendetta) memory OCZ Reaper or Platinum DDR3 2 x 2GB  4GB total  HD WD6401AALS then any flavor of processor (775 socket) you want.

I can save you monies on all the OCZ and PC P&C products.  I too have the same rebate on the PSU or this OCZ 700watt for 105 less 20 rebate.  Memory you will want 1600 to 1800 MHz  Pricing for 4Gb will be from about 60 to 90 depending on if its reaper, platinum, gold, and the memory speed.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 04:42:42 PM by TilDeath »

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2009, 06:15:50 PM »
I agree with the parts here other then the Antec  :eek:  to much money for what you get.  I can save you some monies on the OCZ or PC P & C or OCZ PSU's

Seems like your trying to do a cross between a budget build and higher end which is ok.  But your cutting corners in the most important places.

For the MB you ordered  Tempest Case, OCZ or PC P&C 600watt or more PSU, Video card fine, HSF OCZ Vendetta 2 (not vendetta) memory OCZ Reaper or Platinum DDR3 2 x 2GB  4GB total  HD WD6401AALS then any flavor of processor (775 socket) you want.

I can save you monies on all the OCZ and PC P&C products.  I too have the same rebate on the PSU or this OCZ 700watt for 105 less 20 rebate.  Memory you will want 1600 to 1800 MHz  Pricing for 4Gb will be from about 60 to 90 depending on if its reaper, platinum, gold, and the memory speed.

NZXT is fine by me. The only real preferences I have right now are for an intel chip, e8400 and e8500 or Core I7 and PC Power & Cooling PS. Those items I trust. After that I'm pretty much open although I do tilt towards ATI for a video card. Still even there I'm debatable. I use an Antec 900 for one of my computers and am quite happy with it. Although I do think that NZXT case is very nice and very very affordable. I have another case, Cooler Master that does the job but I hate the placement and the function of the power switch. It's awkward.

I think the key term is Right now. Everything changes.

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2009, 10:52:02 PM »
NZXT is fine by me. The only real preferences I have right now are for an intel chip, e8400 and e8500 or Core I7 and ...
I am buildin a box for myself i7 920 ASUS Rampage II Extreme  6GB OCZ 2000MHz Blades Raptors and two GTX260's... we will see what we can get out of this pig. bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2009, 10:55:55 PM »
I am buildin a box for myself i7 920 ASUS Rampage II Extreme  6GB OCZ 2000MHz Blades Raptors and two GTX260's... we will see what we can get out of this pig. bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Save the results for a 24/7 machine. Let us know. :salute

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2009, 11:51:02 PM »

You'll get a bunch of screen tearing unless your using a CRT.  Have fun.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2009, 12:11:40 AM »
You'll get a bunch of screen tearing unless your using a CRT.  Have fun.

That's right, you went down this road. It was the vsync correct? Couldn't be used in SLI if I remember correctly.