Author Topic: x52 tension  (Read 2186 times)

Offline _vic_

• Copper Member
      • imagitronics.org
x52 tension
« on: April 19, 2009, 04:52:13 AM »
Hey all,

I've found that since I started flying with a Saitek X52 stick that I'm a bit ham-fisted. I think this is partially due to the fact that when I started playing the game I used a Logitech 3D Extreme that had a lot of "tension" in the stick.

The other night I stumbled across this forum thread (http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=120251) that has a link to a youtube video and some other commentary on increasing the tension in the X52 stick.

I used the method in the youtube videos (but instead of using a bore drillbit I just used an exacto knife) to create a makeshift washer out of the plastic cover from a CD spindle.

I know that most experienced users of an X52 are probably already familiar with this simple mod, but I thought it may come in handy for other X52 users, since I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere on these boards. Anyone that's coming to the X52 from X45, Thrustmaster, or Logitech sticks should be able to appreciate this simple 10 minute mod.

NOTE: Compressing the spring with a washer may shorten the life of your spring... Make sure you know the risks involved beforehand.

<S>
Tim

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Re: x52 tension
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 03:12:58 PM »
That would prob. increase the spring tension.  I just decrease the range of the outer deadzones for x/y axis, found within the Saitek Control Panel.  That way I don't have to move the stick all the way forward/back or left/right.  The way I have it now, when I pull the stick about halfway back, it is actually giving a full pull-back signal.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline _vic_

• Copper Member
      • imagitronics.org
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 07:52:24 PM »
Coogn,

Yep, I tried playing around with different dead zones and stick scaling. The infamous ack-ack stick scaling, for instance, caused me to stall myself out a lot. For whatever reason my big hamhock fists just push too hard on the stick when I get into a sticky situation. The added tension seems to intuitively limit how much mashing of the stick that I do.

I've been using my stick with the plastic washer for a couple of days now and I'm loving it. Believe it or not, prior to this I was seriously thinking about going back to my old Logitech stick and just using the Saitek throttle. Unfortunately, I've become very dependent on the Saitek pinky trigger and two-stage trigger.

Tim

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 09:17:10 PM »
LMAO Vic.  Even with the way I have mine set up, I still get a little carried away, when I'm in a real tight situation.  I may try that washer trick though.  I do like the feeling of a little more resistance.  My Logitech 3d Pro had good resistance, but I made rudder pedals out of it when I got the X-52. 
Now that you mentioned that spring, you've got me wondering why Saitek didn't put a little rubber boot on there to keep out dust and such.  Kinda' like a boot on a manual transmission auto.

<S>
Coogan

From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:

Offline _vic_

• Copper Member
      • imagitronics.org
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 12:30:44 AM »
I do like the feeling of a little more resistance.  My Logitech 3d Pro had good resistance, but I made rudder pedals out of it when I got the X-52. 

My thoughts exactly. I really liked the tension of the Logitech sticks.

Incidentally, do you have any information on converting a Logitech stick into rudder pedals? I still have my Logitech stick lying around the house and it would be a cheap way to help decide if I want to make the jump to real pedals. (I have a bad habit of sitting on my foot while I fly, lol).

<S>
Tim

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 01:21:47 AM »
I'll make a diagram as to how I made them.  I've been using them for about 4 months, and haven't had a problem yet.
I'll PM ya some drawings as soon as I get them done.

<S>
Coogan

Game Id's:

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 02:52:59 PM »
I tried this yesterday.

Tightens up your X52 pro nicely. If you watch your x and y motion in control panel, you will notice a realistic force feedback as you just get to the end of each movement. You no longer bottom out with motion with your movement as you slam the stick around to its extreams. In the game if you were used to how sensative the x52 was, this will take a few flights to create new muscle memory. Wish Saitek would ship them this way to start with.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 03:27:56 PM »
I tried this yesterday.

Tightens up your X52 pro nicely. If you watch your x and y motion in control panel, you will notice a realistic force feedback as you just get to the end of each movement. You no longer bottom out with motion with your movement as you slam the stick around to its extreams. In the game if you were used to how sensative the x52 was, this will take a few flights to create new muscle memory. Wish Saitek would ship them this way to start with.

If it makes too much sense, then the manufacturer won't do it.   That was my biggest gripe with the X45 and 52.   I still wish the CH Fighterstick had more resistance to it.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 03:29:04 PM »
If you get a spindle of RCD's there is a foam washer that is supplied,I assume to sepperate the disc's.It just happens to fit up into the handle of the X52 and a simple snip with scissors will allow you to slip it between the spring and handle.I've been using 1 of these for a few years and found it's stiffened the spring enough for my liking,there would be no problem to use more than 1 if you need the spring even stiffer.Bonus it makes no sounds against the spring,unlike the plastic washers which tend to squeak after awhile. :aok

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 07:59:35 PM »
made my spacer from card board works just great!!
 i also had logitek for years before finaly changing to saitek, just cut a piece of cardboard out then notch the center and pull the spring down out of the handle , slip it right in there and your ready to go, this way you can add more till it feels right, after that you could make one out of harder material, but i am still useing the peice i put in there on the first try, no problems! worst case senerio i have to cut a new peice!!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 09:59:59 AM »
I also use the CD lid washer method for increase spring tension since I saw the tip about a year ago.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals