Author Topic: The SpitXIV conundrum  (Read 4593 times)

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
Re: The SpitXIV conundrum
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2009, 03:44:52 PM »
The Spitfire Mk XIV's climb rate is grossly over exaggerated. At no point does it really 'pwn' the Spitfire Mk XVI in climb rate (even above 20k, it doesn't outmatch the deficit it has against the XVI from 14-20). It's turn radius is pretty good, but even then it's only about half way in between the Bf.109K and the XVI with flaps up, and much closer to the Kurfuerst with flaps down. (it's slower than the latter aircraft at most altitudes (below 25k), and has a similar climb rate to it, BTW). .
Can you give me an example of any aircraft that you think is significantly better?

Last tour a third of my Dora kills were against the XVI, and I didn't die to one once either. Can we conclude that the Fw 190D-9 is a superior 1v1 fighter to the Spitfire MkXVI as well? :rofl
:huh Yes, if your fast your in control of a fight.

On top of all of this, if you actually can get a good angle on someone, once you do fighting against that gargantuan Griffon engine is for the shot is not a pleasant experience. Even takeoff and landing the thing is not simple
I love that engine, never gives me any trouble.

If performance above 20K were very important in the MA, I'd wouldn't be saying the SpitXIV perk price needs to be reduced. A relative top speed advantage, in and of itself, lets you choose whether to fight or not, and lets you carry some extra E into the first merge, and not much else, by itself, it really does little to actually win the fight for you.

I've been in the 109K4 enough to compare views to that of the Spit, and I simply can't see what you are talking about. The front view in particular is still more obscured, and the head position in the 109 can't be raised over the nose as far as it can in the Spits. Frames get in the way in the various up-and-angled views to a greater extent.

I repeat: I dive tested the Spit14's wing and it was still there at 574mph IAS, and didn't break under an 8 G spike.

:aok
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 03:48:48 PM by MachFly »
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2009, 03:46:48 PM »
Oh and just for the record, Spitfire mk XIV was the main air superiority fighter of the 2nd tactical air force.

What other fighter was build for air superiority purposes?
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2009, 03:51:46 PM »
Can you give me an example of any aircraft that you think is significantly better?

The SpitXVI, SpitVIII and 109K4 climb about as well from the deck to 20K. At some points slightly superior, at some points slightly inferior, but really very close at all points. The two former aircraft are significantly superior in wing-loading and E-retention under Gs. The latter aircraft is inferior in wing-loading but superior in handling, speed, and WEP duration below 20K.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 03:55:04 PM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2009, 03:58:11 PM »
The SpitXVI, SpitVIII and 109K4 climb about as well from the deck to 20K. At some points slightly superior, at some points slightly inferior, but really very close at all points.

It can out climb spit 16 and 8 because it has a much more powerful engine. The the only reason the 109K has a comparable climb rate is because It's airframe is made out of wood.

And I said significantly better.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2009, 04:28:21 PM »
The Spit XIV is such an awesome fighter that it has consistantly been the only perk fighter with a lower K/D ratio than some free fighters while also being the least used perk plane.

None of your arguments stand up to that.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2009, 04:35:50 PM »
The Spit XIV is such an awesome fighter that it has consistantly been the only perk fighter with a lower K/D ratio than some free fighters while also being the least used perk plane.

because people don't know how to fly it

a few days ago i was on spit 9 and one guy (no names) tried to go into a turn fight with me on a spit 14, on the deck. He died within seconds.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2009, 05:13:51 PM »
You should really look an overlay of the performance curves before you post with such certainty.

Besides, if this really is your favorite damn plane in the MA, I'm proposing to make flying it cheaper for you.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline MstWntd

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2009, 05:16:34 PM »
I'd have to say that any plane is better than another if someone knows how to fly it, but again it's based on the pilot, of course. i try to bnZ and vert more with the spit14, when I do fly it. You'll very rarely see me in spits anyway.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2009, 05:17:17 PM »

In isolation, usage and K/D arguments don't say all that much. The SpitXIV clearly has the *potential* to maintain a higher k/d than the C-Hog because of superior speed and energy performance. Perhaps the difference is the C-Hog is upped off carriers to vulch de-acked fields while the SpitXIV is not?

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2009, 05:57:14 PM »
In isolation, usage and K/D arguments don't say all that much. The SpitXIV clearly has the *potential* to maintain a higher k/d than the C-Hog because of superior speed and energy performance. Perhaps the difference is the C-Hog is upped off carriers to vulch de-acked fields while the SpitXIV is not?
Every fighter has the potential to maintain a higher k/d ratio than the given fighter actually does.  That means nothing at all.  All that has any meaning is the actual effect and results.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2009, 06:24:03 PM »
Every fighter has the potential to maintain a higher k/d ratio than the given fighter actually does.  That means nothing at all.  All that has any meaning is the actual effect and results.

What I mean is that the SpitfireXIV has more potential to disengage at will, which you surely must realize is the largest factor in high K/D ratios for MA planes. I think it is very valid to point out that the C-Hog gets its score padded alot at vulches.

Is it possible to get statistics for kills/time by model? I think that is a better indicator of what the plane can do when actually *fighting*.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2009, 06:26:35 PM »
Any aircraft has more of an ability to disengage at will if the pilot minds his e-state. The point is really moot. You can do the same thing you do in a Spitfire MkXIV in a Spitfire MkXVI. The difference is that you can't do the same thing in the Spitfire MkXIV that you do in a Spitfire MkXVI.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2009, 06:28:51 PM »
Any aircraft has more of an ability to disengage at will if the pilot minds his e-state. The point is really moot. You can do the same thing you do in a Spitfire MkXIV in a Spitfire MkXVI. The difference is that you can't do the same thing in the Spitfire MkXIV that you do in a Spitfire MkXVI.

An airplane that goes 361mph on the deck isn't just a *little* more likely to separate itself successfully than one that tops out at 344?  :huh

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2009, 06:30:57 PM »
An airplane that goes 361mph on the deck isn't just a *little* more likely to separate itself successfully than one that tops out at 344?  :huh
A little? Sure. However the XVI also has a significantly better ability to fight it out if it hits the fan.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2009, 06:33:25 PM »
A little? Sure. However the XVI also has a significantly better ability to fight it out if it hits the fan.

That is also true comparing the XVI to the Tempest...The A6M has claim to be being a front-runner amongst fighters if discount entirely the need to either chase or run.