Author Topic: 38j vs mk XVI  (Read 1101 times)

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
Re: 38j vs mk XVI
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 02:34:09 PM »
My first answer:
Beat him with your merge. You'll be fighting the pilot here and not the crutch of the spixteen.

---
You can loop and spiral climb better.
You handle better at low speeds.
I believe you can de-accelerate quicker.
You have bigger guns and can take more hits (pilot wounds aside).

I haven't done this match up under duel conditions in years. But I would probably try for the Michael Jordan hang time triple immel on the merge that only the 38 does so well, hammerhead at the very top, cut throttle and slide slip down into the spits turn as he's trying to nose low out of my attack. You should at least get a snapshot here that's enough to end a spit.
-AoM-

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 02:36:05 PM »
My first answer:
Beat him with your merge. You'll be fighting the pilot here and not the crutch of the spixteen.

---
You can loop and spiral climb better.
You handle better at low speeds.
I believe you can de-accelerate quicker.
You have bigger guns and can take more hits (pilot wounds aside).

I haven't done this match up under duel conditions in years. But I would probably try for the Michael Jordan hang time triple immel on the merge that only the 38 does so well, hammerhead at the very top, cut throttle and slide slip down into the spits turn as he's trying to nose low out of my attack. You should at least get a snapshot here that's enough to end a spit.

Yep, that's what I would do as well.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 05:11:53 PM »
I don't have a lot of trouble with 16's in the MA unless I let one get in the control zone. Then, even a monkey in a 16 can follow most everything long enough to get a damaging shot on you.

I've done a few duels with squad mates Spit 16 versus P38L and it boils done to the pilot with the Spit having a slight advantage when the pilot's are pretty much even skill in an anchored neutral fight.

P38J lacks the L's roll rate at high speed and I use roll to keep my fight in 3 dimensions at all times so that may be a difference maker.

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 05:13:35 PM »
Oh...and I found some information on what the cloverleaf Ack-Ack is referring to probably is but I'd still like confirmation.

Offline HAMMERR

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 07:16:50 PM »
Can someone please spell out the process for a tripple immel in a p38?. What speeds. Alts flap settings Gs etc.

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 07:19:32 PM »
Well try to get them to overshoot and if you can't extend out and bring them into a steep climbing turn will all your flaps out. They will stall out and you can just roll right down on them.
Strokes

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 07:50:55 PM »
Can someone please spell out the process for a tripple immel in a p38?. What speeds. Alts flap settings Gs etc.

375mph IAS to 400mph IAS and pull into an Immelman and not tight as you don't want to bleed energy needlessly (3Gs is sufficient).  As you roll over the top and level out, pull into another one again, be light on the stick and don't pull any unnecessary Gs so you don't bleed energy needlessly.  As you level out over the top of the second one, you'll probably be around 150mph-125mph IAS and start to pull into your third Immelman.  As you start the 3rd one, deploy one notch of flaps to give you some lift to start bringing your nose up.  As you start the crest on the top part of your Immelman, deploy another notch of flaps.  As you come over the top, deploy one more notch of flaps (you'll be inverted at this point at very near a stall or the beginning of a stall), this will quickly bring your nose down over the top of the Immelman.  Congratulations, you just pulled a Triple Immelman. 

I have yet to see another plane that was able to match me in doing a Triple Immelman, those that have valiently tried always end up wallowing around in a stall either trying to pull the 2nd Immelman or in the process of trying to start the 3rd one.  Of course, as with all things in life, YMMV.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline hlbly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2009, 03:53:38 AM »
thnx guys

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2009, 12:41:48 AM »
How do you beat a spit 16 in a 38j . co alt co e ?

By being a better pilot than the guy who is in that spit
probably does not answer your question, but it always seemed to work for me.....well...most of the time  :).
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s