Author Topic: Getting a new laptop..  (Read 1764 times)

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Re: Getting a new laptop..
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2009, 09:34:52 AM »
Unplayable. Great framerates but warpy as heck. No idea what the problem is but its bad. Not the connection as it is the same as on the old lappy.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2009, 10:42:56 AM »
Whats the difference between the vista version and the xp version of the game? Im running windows 7 build 7100 but i doubt that is the problem because AH ran without a problem on the old lappy with windows 7 beta. Dont remember if i installed the vista version on that though as i have on this one.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2009, 12:54:08 PM »
The difference is that Vista runs more processes and tries to play, "big brother." If you have certain services enabled, too many processes, or the game is installed in, "Program Files." The game will be unplayable. Read some of the threads in this forum for tweaking Vista, then get back to us with how many processes are running. I'm certain we can get the game working for you.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2009, 12:55:53 PM »
Whats the difference between the vista version and the xp version of the game? Im running windows 7 build 7100 but i doubt that is the problem because AH ran without a problem on the old lappy with windows 7 beta. Dont remember if i installed the vista version on that though as i have on this one.

I think the only difference is the read me file. In the vista version it suggest you load the game in a fold off of the main root drive instead of in the default location.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2009, 01:00:38 PM »
The difference is that Vista runs more processes and tries to play, "big brother." If you have certain services enabled, too many processes, or the game is installed in, "Program Files." The game will be unplayable. Read some of the threads in this forum for tweaking Vista, then get back to us with how many processes are running. I'm certain we can get the game working for you.

Windows 7 RC, not vista. Have Win 7 beta on the old lappy that runs it great.

Created a folder called Games that i put AH in so its not in "program files"

Running 28 processes and some 55-60 services. The old lappy runs about the same number of processes but over 80 services.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2009, 01:18:58 PM »
I think the only difference is the read me file. In the vista version it suggest you load the game in a fold off of the main root drive instead of in the default location.
Dang it! I missed him saying, "Game" not, "Windows." Here I am giving him a brief overview of the difference between XP and Vista Operating Systems not game installers.

Sorry about that Nilsen. Yes, I know you were using Windows 7. However, I always got the impression that Windows 7 beta runs off the Operating System already installed on your computer system not as a stand-alone Operating System. If this is true, it would seem plausible that Vista is playing with you in the background.
FlameThink.com

Offline Fianna

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2009, 01:19:26 PM »

I'm not so certain. At least I know mine isn't an isolated problem.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2009, 01:21:25 PM »
Do you have an OS installer disk around the house? If so, see if a clean install of Windows clears up the issue(s) (Don't forget to back up anything you need).

Since your problem is still unresolved, it sounds as if something got messed up in the root of the Operating System which is really messing up the system performance.
FlameThink.com

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2009, 01:41:33 PM »

Sorry about that Nilsen. Yes, I know you were using Windows 7. However, I always got the impression that Windows 7 beta runs off the Operating System already installed on your computer system not as a stand-alone Operating System. If this is true, it would seem plausible that Vista is playing with you in the background.

Vista is not installed or running in the background on any of them. They are fresh installs.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2009, 01:42:41 PM »
Have you tried bringing hardware acceleration for your sound chipset down a notch?
FlameThink.com

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2009, 02:00:52 PM »
Have you tried bringing hardware acceleration for your sound chipset down a notch?

Ive been given that advice actually, but i cant find the thing lol

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2009, 02:08:20 PM »
Bring up the DxDiag. Afterward press the, "Sound" tab. Now reduce the acceleration one notch. Afterward press OK and see if that helps.
FlameThink.com

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2009, 02:18:27 PM »
Ill do that but i noticed something that may be strange when i was in the game just now..

When i took a simple screenshot from tower the framerates went from 60 something to 30 as i took it. If i remember correctly i never sufferd a framerate drop when taking pictures on my other lappy.

Then i look at what the crtl + i showed me..

No place to uploade picture so ill just type it here:
----------

Frame Rate 67
VM INTERNAL DM SNAP
VidMem 1604.1M Used 4.1M Cnt=0
SystemMem 2048.0M Used 0.0M Tex = 0.0M

-----------

Sounds abit odd when my ati mobility 3450 card has 256mb dedicated mem and my system has 4gb even i can only see 3 due to the system beeing 32bit

-edit- no sliders at all in my dxdiag sound
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 02:24:56 PM by Nilsen »

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2009, 02:41:11 PM »
My old laptop shows that it uses 700something mb system memory while the new one shows 0 used.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2009, 02:51:52 PM »
Okay.... Let's try another way. (Using an XP here) Head into the control panel, afterward click, "Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices." Now click on, "Sounds and Audio Devices." Afterward head to, "Audio" (Should be a tab at the top) and locate the, "Sound Playback" section. Inside that section there should be a, "Volume" and, "Advanced" button. Press the, "Advanced Button." Afterward browse through the tabs for any sliders regarding Hardware, Sound, or Sample Acceleration/Conversion Quality.

If there's no, "Sound Playback" device listed in the drop down menu for, "Default Device," that could be your problem. No sound device is being picked up by the system.
FlameThink.com