Author Topic: Track IR - Opinions?  (Read 1976 times)

Offline lengro

• Silver Member
Re: Track IR - Opinions?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 10:32:57 AM »
As Lusche said - great for immersion, SA and also to free up hands.

First week you will hate it and wonder why you wasted the money, but it will soon get much better.
look at HomeBoy's guide based on Mace's excellent TrackIR profile.

Things like setting up snapshots, observing how much you lose/gain in rolling scissors, or just plain aiming will take some relearning as you no longer can rely as much on cockpit cues.

"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!" Tuco - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Offline DCCBOSS

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 10:42:38 AM »
Love it and still tweeking it a little.
"Where ever you go, there you are".
C.O. of Rolling Thunder

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 10:44:01 AM »
Do I understand you correctly - your head is too close to the headrest when using TIR to look back?

Basically yes combined with when I turn (and tilt) my head and lean back I hit my virtual head on a virtual cockpit side before I can see around rear the bulk head I am looking at.

With only POV hat settings you stick your head in a position that puts your head virtually over the gun sight when looking back (a position a pilot could never actually achieve). This made the rear bulk head shrink considerably.

I may also be further encumbered by the position of my sender unit which sits ontop of the screen (above me) such that as I move my head my view rises and falls accordingly unless I flat line it (or damp the effect) in set up.

I am advised by fellow users of Trak IR using the reflector tree (on a cap) that this issue is less prevalent then than when using the proclip thingy on the side of my head.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 10:45:49 AM by Tilt »
Ludere Vincere

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 10:45:07 AM »
Off topic - The poll option's in the upper right corner of the forum.
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php?action=post;board=9.0;poll  
9.0 is general forum's number.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline _vic_

• Copper Member
      • imagitronics.org
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 10:45:59 AM »
Basically yes combined with when I turn (and tilt) my head and lean back I hit my virtual head on a virtual cockpit side before I can see around rear the bulk head I am looking at.

With only POV hat settings you stick your head in a position that puts your head virtually over the gun sight when looking back (a position a pilot could never actually achieve). This made the rear bulk head shrink considerably.

I may also be further encumbered by the position of my sender unit which sits ontop of the screen (above me) such that as I move my head my view rises and falls accordingly unless I flat line it (or damp the effect) in set up.

I am advised by fellow users of Trak IR using the reflector tree that this issue is less prevalent then than when using the proclip thingy on the side of my head.

Oh yeah, turn off "tilt" or "roll" as I believe it's called in the profile... It's distracting. Track IR supports all 6 depths of field, but every profile I've seen only used 5... It was the first thing I did when I installed mine.

I don't like the side-of-the-head clip either... the hat clip is much better.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 10:47:48 AM by _vic_ »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2009, 10:47:23 AM »

When initially centering your TIR, lean forward and a bit down. This way your virtual head position will be as far back & up as possible when looking forward, but at the same time as far forward (towards the windscreen) when turning your head to look back.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2009, 10:47:54 AM »
Oh yeah, turn off "tilt" or "roll" as I believe it's called in the profile... It's distracting. Track IR supports all 6 depths of field, but every profile I've seen only used 5... It was the first thing I did when I installed mine.

I use roll, just a little bit tuned down.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2009, 10:48:37 AM »

Hmmmm actually roll allows me to see ( a little) further around the bulk head....(the cockpit glass does not seem to be vertical)....I had it flat lined before.
Ludere Vincere

Offline _vic_

• Copper Member
      • imagitronics.org
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2009, 10:50:49 AM »
That just exhibits the versatility of the TrackIR. I don't care for the the roll, but I see some of you do!

Also, I set a slight "deadzone" in the X axis, otherwise my piper would drift pretty bad (missed a lot of shots that way).

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2009, 10:51:41 AM »
When initially centering your TIR, lean forward and a bit down. This way your virtual head position will be as far back & up as possible when looking forward, but at the same time as far forward (towards the windscreen) when turning your head to look back.

Thanks Lusche............ I do do this..... ie to see the gun sight I have to crouch down behind it............. much to the ammusement of wife et al who then know I am going to shoot something..........so I hear stacato machine gun immitations from those wishing to deride my attempts of virtual air combat
Ludere Vincere

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 10:53:26 AM »
If you get that level of rear view in a corsair, from Track IR, then Im getting one. That is a tremendous rear view.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2009, 11:00:03 AM »
If you get that level of rear view in a corsair, from Track IR, then Im getting one. That is a tremendous rear view.

It's exactly the same as when using the hat view ;)

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2009, 11:27:03 AM »
I've used TrackIR2, 3 and most recently a TrackIR4 with the new Proclip.

I simply could not get used to it, I found the hat switches more precise (more so with 6 views). The only benefit I found was a nice smooth tracking of targets, in particular with the 30mm, so the enemy a/c moved into the gun sight from the front side panels to the front view in a much more gentle state than the hat switches could give.

I've tried aggressive as well as much more gentle curves for it, all without success. I'm going to hold onto my TrackIR4 to make films for any 38 students and for another game called 'Jumpgate', but otherwise it will collect dust.

I have used hat switches for about 15 years now, my views were always very close to the same in each sim I was in and I guess I just can't make the transfer.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2009, 01:42:53 PM »
For some of you who may consider the price a bit steep, you might want to consider FreeTrack (FT) as an alternative to TrackIR.  Like TIR, FT provides 6DOFs in AHII.

My 2 cents: I decided to go this route because I wanted to use head-tracking with a 3 monitor set up that I recently rigged up , but given the outlay i'd put into that, buying a TIR was a one-way ticket to divorce court.  About 3 or 4 guys in my squad use TIR, and they all rave about it, so this prompted my interest in head tracking.

Most folk build their own reflector clips or LED trees for FT.  However, when I thought about it, I didn't want to use reflectors due to my concern over camera sensitivity, and the tutorials I found for homebuilt LED headgear were usually battery-powered.  So I spent a little extra and bought a TIR Pro Clip ($35 from NaturalPoint or GoGamer), hooked it up to an easily modified webcam (MS VX6000, a gift), and downloaded FreeTrack (as in... free) at www.free-track.net.

The VX6000 camera works incredibly well with FT, it's very sensitive and gives a full FPS receptivity.  All I did was remove the internal infrared filter, which took 3 minutes total time.  FreeTrack is well-featured software, on a par with TIR's software, I think.  And the Pro Clip works just fine with it, and is USB powered, which is what I wanted.

FT BENEFITS:
Cheaper
Comparable (IMO) to TIR: full-featured GUI
Works with all games that support TIR
AHII recognizes it just fine for all 6DOFs
Robust user community (help, tips, etc.)

FT DRAWBACKS:
A do-it-yourself solution: involves sweat equity
No warranties
English documentation isn't as good as the original manuals (in French).
If using a Pro Clip, you'll have the extra wire for that to deal with.

IMPRESSIONS:
i've only been using it about 2-3 weeks.  Most of the first week was spent trying to get my settings correct, as I was trying to make this work with 3 monitors.  I've mostly gotten it, but because I have to traverse more screen real-estate, I think it's still too sensitive when my head is traversing views toward the side and rear of the plane (yaw, mostly).  I think this is not an issue with the software, but rather that I just haven't gotten the settings tweaked correctly YET.  A work in progress on that issue.

I use and enjoy it immensely, but I have some of the same issues with the American naval planes as others do.  I've used the "forward/down" centering trick, but so far I haven't got it quite right, and my views in the blue iron planes is sometimes dismal (I love the FM2 for field defense, but now I'm reluctant to use it because all I see is the rear bulkhead).  That rear view that Lusche (think it was Lusche) posted still evades me.  To get around this, I kept my hat switch view-mapped and sometimes use it for rear views, like others have said. 

IMO, TIR/FT have a big impact on SA and immersion (especially in three panels).  It may not make you a stone killer in the air, but it adds to the virtual experience.  Your head is now separated from the plane.  If the plane banks, your head is free to maintain other aspects, closer to a real life experience, I think.  At first its bewildering but you learn to use finer head movements and I find I can track stuff, especially anything at or ahead of my 3-9 line, with natural ease.  Gunnery needs to be relearned though, and I'm working on that, but I find that I can take snapshots now that I couldn't before. Go figure.

FWIW,

o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2009, 02:05:42 PM »
I love my trackir. Flight simming would never be the same for me without it.

I use the reflectors that clip on the hat. I've tried the track clip-pro or what ever it's called but the reflectors work better for me. I think the camera placement is more critical with the led lights and I never could get it in a position where it would work as well as the reflectors do for me. I use a very aggressive profile so I hardly have to move my head.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54