Author Topic: Track IR - Opinions?  (Read 1977 times)

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Track IR - Opinions?
« on: April 23, 2009, 09:51:02 AM »
Those of you who use (or have used) Track IR, What are your thoughts? 

Is it the sort of product, like rudder pedals, that you wonder how you did without after using it?

Or, alternatively, is it an overpriced piece of crap which complicates the whole experience for no real benefit?

(We need a poll option, HTC)

-Mike

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Track IR - Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 09:55:03 AM »
Can't fly without it anymore. Massively enhanced the immersion factor.
But it's the most "personal" type of gear, so you absolutely have to tweak it's settings until you're comfortable
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 09:58:01 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 10:03:31 AM »
Not having it is like not having no arms.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 10:05:18 AM »
Can't fly without it anymore. Massively enhanced the immersion factor.
But it's the most "personal" type of gear, so you absolutely have to tweak it's settings until you're comfortable

Ok.  Thats promising.

Let me give you some context.  About 3 months ago I finally broke down and bought a proper HOTAS and rudder pedal setup.

I still use the key pad for views - hate the hat switches - but then my ability to maximize throttle use while engaged is hampered.

What Im seeking is a way to free up my left hand for the throttle whilst maintaining proper SA.

Im thinking, without having tried it, that Track IR might do the trick.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 10:09:59 AM »
Here's something I thought about but have never tries, wonder if anyone else has tried it....   Set up for Mouse Look, move the mouse over to your left hand...  Then map your throttle to the scroll wheel on the mouse.

Anybody tried that?  Not even certain that you can map the throttle to a mouse scroll wheel.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 10:12:57 AM »
what kind of stick did you get. If it is CH I can tell you what I did with the high 8 way hat.

Offline _vic_

• Copper Member
      • imagitronics.org
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 10:16:47 AM »
I bought a TrackIR as soon as I realized that this game would be a mainstay on my computer and I can't say that I'm disappointed.

As mentioned above, once you get it set up so that it's comfortable for you (and you can see out of the F4U), you'll feel handicapped without it.

One thing (and I have written to Natural Point about it) I don't like the "Track Clip Pro" with the LEDs on it. It's just another cord to get in the way, and it moves every time you adjust your headset... I just use the basic 3 reflector hat clip on  top of my headset and couldn't be happier. My advice would be to save yourself a couple of bucks and not order the "TrackClip Pro" option.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 10:18:40 AM by _vic_ »

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 10:16:59 AM »
Hello Mazz,

This is perfect timing on your post.  My b-day is a coming and the wife said "what do you want special for your birthday"?  Well other than the usual carnal(LOL) thoughts, I spouted I would like to look into track IR.  I have been asking some squaddies who use it, and a few said that they are not able to get the full view range that is available when you map to hats.  Can anyone comment on this?  The immersion & freeing of my really sore thumb would be great, I am just wondering what I may give up in view in the process.

Have a great day,

Way
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 10:17:34 AM »
what kind of stick did you get. If it is CH I can tell you what I did with the high 8 way hat.

No, Everything is Saitek which, although opinion seemed to vary while I was researching, I love.

Offline _vic_

• Copper Member
      • imagitronics.org
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 10:20:50 AM »
Hello Mazz,

This is perfect timing on your post.  My b-day is a coming and the wife said "what do you want special for your birthday"?  Well other than the usual carnal(LOL) thoughts, I spouted I would like to look into track IR.  I have been asking some squaddies who use it, and a few said that they are not able to get the full view range that is available when you map to hats.  Can anyone comment on this?  The immersion & freeing of my really sore thumb would be great, I am just wondering what I may give up in view in the process.

Have a great day,

Way

waystin,

They haven't properly set it up. When I turn my head to look out my six, the head position also moves left/right accordingly so that I can get perfect views in the Mustang, and about as good as it gets in an F4U. Search the BBS, HomeBoy and Mace have posts containing setup information and a good starter profile that help immensely.

Tim

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 10:21:33 AM »
I have been asking some squaddies who use it, and a few said that they are not able to get the full view range that is available when you map to hats.  Can anyone comment on this? 

Wrong setup.
Any view you can get with the hat view, you can get with TrackIr. The last problems in a few planes (F4u) where you couldn't move the head as far as you could do with conventional views, were fixed a long time ago.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 10:23:11 AM »
Thank you gentleman!  I will tell the wife it is official.  TrackIR for the B-day!   :rock
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 10:23:15 AM »
I couldn't get used to it.  I felt like I lost my SA more with the Track IR.  But I don't fly that much.  So IMHO, if you fly a lot (more than 20 hours a month) then it should give you the time to acclimate your flying to the Track IR.  If you don't fly that much, you'll be amazed how fast that ground comes up.  Good luck.
I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 10:29:14 AM »
I still cannot get the (stable) rear views with trak IR (pro clip) that I could get with the hat views by moving the POI forward. Most Bloo planes I just dont fly any more as I have no practical rear view. Views on P51's, spits etc where there is a smaller back plate are no problem.

Also I cannot use the old F8 function in SB's and tanks for long range sighting once I have disabled Trak IR with F9. The only way to achieve this is to switch the whole utility off out of game.

I use a combination of Trak IR and hat whilst in game.  Rear views apart it provides a significant step forward in SA.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 10:31:34 AM by Tilt »
Ludere Vincere

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 10:32:17 AM »
I still cannot get the (stable) rear views with trak IR (pro clip) that I could get with the hat views by moving the POI forward.

Do I understand you correctly - your head is too close to the headrest when using TIR to look back?

This is how it looks like for me when using TIR in a F4U-1a:

Absolutely no difference to hat views.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 10:37:32 AM by Lusche »