Author Topic: Track IR - Opinions?  (Read 2019 times)

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Re: Track IR - Opinions?
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2009, 04:48:36 PM »
Also I cannot use the old F8 function in SB's and tanks for long range sighting once I have disabled Trak IR with F9. The only way to achieve this is to switch the whole utility off out of game.
You can change the hot keys, you know.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2009, 05:28:05 PM »
Do I understand you correctly - your head is too close to the headrest when using TIR to look back?

This is how it looks like for me when using TIR in a F4U-1a:

(Image removed from quote.)

Absolutely no difference to hat views.

I cannot seem to get anywhere near that much of a six view with the TrackIR. I've had one for nearly two years and rarely use it. I have complete loss of SA with it, not to mention constantly having to recenter the gunsight. I have squadmates that won't fly without it, I can't seem to fly with it.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline _vic_

• Copper Member
      • imagitronics.org
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2009, 08:20:03 PM »
Wraith,

I did the same thing. As I said above, I only use the hat clip - but I purchased the TrackClip Pro so I modified a Logitech QuickCam Communicate (busting out the IR filter glass and replacing it with a piece of unexposed camera film). I gave the setup to a friend who was interested in TrackIR - but couldn't justify the price. In my testing, the FreeTrack wasn't "quite" as smooth as the TIR, but it was pretty good.

The TIR really shines when you're "riding a blackout" and you can still keep your head perfectly trained on the enemy aircraft. It's just so intuitive.

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2009, 03:21:06 AM »
Bought it, set it up, used it, didn't like it, sold it.

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2009, 04:27:52 AM »
If you get that level of rear view in a corsair, from Track IR, then Im getting one. That is a tremendous rear view.

Thats the F4U-1 ? I never fly that one so I'll have to check. But I dont remember ever getting that good a look to the rear from the other Corsairs.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2009, 08:42:53 AM »
Tried flying with the hatswitches, couldn't grasp it. Bought the TrackIR and love it. Wouldn't fly without it. That being said, I hated the Pro thingy that clips to the headphones, and went back to the "reflectors" on a baseball cap.

Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2009, 08:47:07 AM »
Thats the F4U-1 ? I never fly that one so I'll have to check. But I dont remember ever getting that good a look to the rear from the other Corsairs.

It's the -1A in the picture
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2009, 09:21:39 AM »
 I can get the view that Lusche posted.............it just does not come naturally if I want to quickly check my 6. (and I have had trak IR for nearly a year now)

Quickly turning and rolling with a slight sideways movement gives me a view that still has the rear bulkhead filling more than half the screen with no view over it. To achieve the view Lusche posted I then "adjust" from that position (leaning back a bit further and optimising my roll agaianst the virtual cockpit glass) which usually means I am spending 2secs achieving a view I want to achieve in part of a second.

To compensate for this in Blooo planes I end up kicking the rudder or imparting a mini flick roll to see behind me. Not very efficient when I am just checking 6 prior to guns on another bogie.

Incidently with the proclip the action is definatly different depending on whether I turn my head left or right. Rotating to the right (in my case) moves the clip closer to the sensor. Rotating to the left moves the clip further away. Which inturn imparts the corresponding forward backward movement on screen.
Ludere Vincere

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2009, 09:54:43 AM »
This is a short (44 MB) movie showing my views & head movements in a 109 in offline mode: http://www.mediafire.com/?mz4ymxzlmgx

I think I will make one about TIR & the F4U with narrated commentary this weekend.

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2009, 03:15:07 PM »
Lusche is getting such good rear view because he's using Dentin's patch.

Sorry, that was mean.   :devil
The Hay Street Boys

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2009, 03:40:47 PM »
 :lol

No, no patch, just out of the box, set to "aggressive" and a bit tweaking on the axes :)

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2009, 05:36:30 PM »
Wraith,

I did the same thing. As I said above, I only use the hat clip - but I purchased the TrackClip Pro so I modified a Logitech QuickCam Communicate (busting out the IR filter glass and replacing it with a piece of unexposed camera film). I gave the setup to a friend who was interested in TrackIR - but couldn't justify the price. In my testing, the FreeTrack wasn't "quite" as smooth as the TIR, but it was pretty good.

:salute  :aok

Yep, I've noticed that many FT users prefer the Logitechs and MS Lifecams (VX line) because they're the easiest to modify.  In my case, I didn't even need to attach the unexposed camera film to the VX6000.  I just removed the IR filter and it works okay as is with the pro clip, even in well-lighted conditions in my home office, but its probable that this isn't the norm.

I find my VX6000 works pretty well, but TIR is optimized to work as a complete camera/headgear and software system, so that probably makes a big difference.  Now I just have to tweak settings until its "just" right. 

Gotta love that immersive quality in these doodads... they :rock
o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein

Offline dentin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2009, 02:29:02 PM »
Lusche is getting such good rear view because he's using Dentin's patch.

Sorry, that was mean.   :devil

Just a regular `ol meanie you are. :t  Anyone wishing to purchase a TrackIR, goto the following site and snag the coupon. 

http://dslyecxi.com/

FYI, the "patch" was originally from Mace  :P

« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 02:32:28 PM by dentin »
"The more I see of the depressing stature of people, the more I admire my dogs."
 Opinions are like Armpits..everyone has two and sometime they both stink!
"No matter how much things change, They remain the same"

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2009, 03:09:05 PM »
I used the hat switch for years.

I got Track IR a couple of months ago.  It's so much smaller, and so much more.. precise.. .than I had imagined!

I too played with free track, but never could quite get it to work right.  I think the old Logitech webcam I was trying to use just couldn't get the focus right.  Never could get it to work reliably.

Last week, I was heating up some leftovers while my plane was climbing out, and I heard a check six call.  I come back to the computer, and sat down real quick and got into a 1v1 except I hadn't put on my trackir gear.  I was trying to keep SA using the hat switch, and I had gotten so used to the Track IR in such a little time, I just couldn't keep track of anything without it.  I ended up winning the fight, but only because he was a poor shot.

I too had to turn off the 'roll' axis... well I didn't turn it off completely... just moved it all the way down.  This way I still get maybe 5 degrees of movement.. just enough to make it seem 'realistic' but not enough to screw with me.

If you have no problems flying around looking at different directions (looking forward maybe only 20% of the time), then you'll LOVE Track-IR... but if you're the type that has to look forward almost all the time to keep track of what your plane is doing, you might not like it so much.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2009, 03:15:51 PM »
Do I understand you correctly - your head is too close to the headrest when using TIR to look back?

This is how it looks like for me when using TIR in a F4U-1a:

(Image removed from quote.)

Absolutely no difference to hat views.

Is that a custom mouse cursor as a gunsite?