Author Topic: windows accounts  (Read 686 times)

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
windows accounts
« on: April 28, 2009, 01:51:06 AM »
I have a teen who believes he is the no1 uber computer tech. In his tuning of his PC he has disabled accounts. Now you boot up and get to the blue page which gives you a selection of accounts to open (well usually). There is nothing and the only thing you can do is turn of the computer.

So then after all that, my question. Is there any way to re-activate these accounts, or is it a windows reload/repair.

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
Re: windows accounts
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 03:47:14 AM »
try booting in windows safe mode (F8) if you can get to the desktop go into control panel and under accounts turn them back on. no promises but this might work if he just shut them off. sounds like he did something more though.

good luck
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 06:40:33 PM »
I think you may be correct in the he did more area.

I have tried to start in safe mode but it is a dell and don't seem to be able to find it in the bios. does F8 work for Dell? I will try when I get home.

Thanks for your reply

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 07:03:00 PM »
i believe that F8 is a part of your windows OS and not part of your bios, so it should work.

or you can use the system restore opption that dells normally have built into them. read your owners manual and it will tell you what button to push on start up to reset your windows. you will lose individual account profiles and progrms but you can go into your C drive and recover most if not all of your files. (pictures music ect)

good luck
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 07:50:51 PM »
Try F12.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 07:53:59 PM »
Try F12.

This gets you into the bios

From there it is different to mine and any other bios I have ever dealt with.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 07:55:30 PM »
F2?  Sorry...I know F2, F12, and F8 are the 3 "hotkeys".
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 01:51:14 PM »
F8 is a windows startup command and hasn't changed since Windows 2000. F8 will prompt the startup selection screen if you wish to start in regular or safe mode. Once you select safe mode you should be able to access the Administrator account and re-enable all those user accounts.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline SRD

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 06:30:19 PM »
Press F8 when the cursor is blinking just before the windows splash screen comes up.

Have you tried pressing cntrl alt delete at the welcome screen, it should give you a user/pass box.
III/JG2

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 03:34:37 PM »
That's for Windows XP Professional and Windows 2000 (Professional). Any XP home I've ever touched brings up the Task Manager when pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del.
FlameThink.com

Offline SRD

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 04:57:38 PM »
That's for Windows XP Professional and Windows 2000 (Professional). Any XP home I've ever touched brings up the Task Manager when pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del.

Yes, but I believe you can enable this in home also (I have pro so I can't confirm that).  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308226  This article tells how to enable or disable requiring user to press Ctrl+Alt+Del.  At the bottom it says it applies to pro and home.
III/JG2

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 08:26:34 PM »
Try this.. boot into safe mode (keep pressing F8 while booting).

Then log on as ADMINISTRATOR.. there isn't a password by default (unless mr. knowitall put one in).

Once there, go to control panel then USERS

Add a user with ADMIN rights... or reset the password on one of the others...

Then reboot normally.

This is for XP of course/...

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 12:11:22 PM »
Yes, but I believe you can enable this in home also (I have pro so I can't confirm that).  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308226  This article tells how to enable or disable requiring user to press Ctrl+Alt+Del.  At the bottom it says it applies to pro and home.
Ooooh! You were referring to the authentication screen. Yes, that can be used in home and professional versions of the Operating System. I was referring to a completely different screen which I've never seen in a home edition of any Microsoft OS.

Try this.. boot into safe mode (keep pressing F8 while booting).

Then log on as ADMINISTRATOR.. there isn't a password by default (unless mr. knowitall put one in)...
Tigger29 pwns reading. ;)
FlameThink.com

Offline SRD

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 06:33:16 PM »
Ooooh! You were referring to the authentication screen. Yes, that can be used in home and professional versions of the Operating System. I was referring to a completely different screen which I've never seen in a home edition of any Microsoft OS.

Yeah, he said when he gets to the blue screen (welcome screen), the list of user icons aren't there anymore so I thought his son might have enabled the require ctrl alt del option.
III/JG2

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2009, 10:54:21 PM »
Ok. Thank you guys for your help. Now we can get an area and open up one of the users. from there I can see that the admistrator account is disabled and can not open or do anything in the profile the we can get to open.Obviously all admin rights have been shut down when this has been disabled. In the same area we have the option to open the other user profiles, however, yes there was a password put in place and guess what....he can't remember it. Unless there is some way to find the password through dos I believe it is to be a windows install. Oh yes it is xp professional.

So then. Is there a way to find passwords?

At least he is learning about his PC and found out the hard way that if you want to go places you feel you need to hide, maybe you should go there  :rofl