Author Topic: Ho's and ropes  (Read 2278 times)

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
Ho's and ropes
« on: April 30, 2009, 06:11:44 PM »
This is something that I (for some reason) got concerned about. When roping a plane and you loop back over the top, and he's still on the way up, but obviously not going to catch you - would that count as a ho?

Asking as I got into a fight with someone in a f4u, roped and declined the shot on the way down (subsequently lost, but thats not important) - got asked why I didnt take the shot that was there, which would have won the fight (well, had I hit with it anyway  :D). Curious as to opinion on whether this was a ho or not basically. The guy I was fighting was of the opinion that it was a valid shot just fyi.

Dont need a flame fest, just opinons

I've always been hesitant in taking this particular shot (not sure why, just have been) so thought I'd ask.

Thankeee in advance,

:salute

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Re: Ho's and ropes
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 06:14:28 PM »
Not a HO IMO. The only reason for not taking a HO shot is because it's a dangerous shot (you can get hit). If the other person can't hit you, even thought you're pointed at his face, it's a fair shot in my book.

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 06:15:10 PM »
no ...enjoy...u earnt it     :aok    :salute
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 06:15:13 PM »
It's not a HO.  The guy is just living on borrowed time.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 06:18:10 PM »
No HO honestly if they can get shot on you while in a stall its alot of times just lucky, put yourself in the position of the plane below you which im sure everyone has been at i know if im close i just start spraying and preying to hit till my plane forces itsself over.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline SkiMan

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 07:19:20 PM »
No HO honestly if they can get shot on you while in a stall its alot of times just lucky, put yourself in the position of the plane below you which im sure everyone has been at i know if im close i just start spraying and preying to hit till my plane forces itsself over.

Agreed.  I hate Ho's but if you nose over in a rope and he still happens to be facing you...oh well.

I've been sliding backwards, albeit briefly, still facing the guy roping me, but clearly not in control.
If he shoots me in the face at that point, it's my fault. 

If you knowingly follow someone into a rope you are:

A) Absolutely sure you have as much, or more, E as he does.
B) Taking a gamble that he'll wait too long to reverse and pull a sloppy end over while you still have enough control to get the shot.
C) Dumb
D) Having a bad night, so what the heck.

Formerly Skiman and 613Ski

Currently flying as Pariah

Offline Fianna

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 07:51:53 PM »
If he's still facing you when you're on your way down, it's likely that he hasn't stalled yet. I'd call it a HO, unless it's clear that he isn't in control.

Offline Phantomz

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 08:03:37 PM »
I suck so bad i shoot every chance i get.. I only ho if its more of them then me... But in that instance i say it wouldnt be a ho either. :salute
The Flying Circus

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 08:12:24 PM »

Impossible to resist I know.

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 08:28:32 PM »
Not a HO in my opinion either. I got in a disagreement about this with a..erm...fine gentleman named 'Damaged' a few nights ago. He was picking in an La-7, so I followed him up with a 38. He came back down on me and I blasted him. Of course he wasn't pleased about the apparent "HO" but in that situation he's at just as much fault.

Good to see what others think about it because it's definately a gray area in "game ethics"
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 08:48:13 PM »
A HO when the only other thing you could do is nose away and give him a free shot while you sit like a duck :lol  That's like complaining it's a HO when you come up for a vulch and fly into someone's forward cone, and get shot down.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline stodd

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 09:10:47 PM »
Could the plane going up have gotten his nose on you and be able to keep it on you? If not then no HO. Depending on each situation I too am sometimes hesitant on taking this shot.
Stodd/ CandyMan
I don't get why you even typed that, you know it's stupid.

Offline Darkish

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 09:28:49 PM »
You underestimated his energy, he is still going up whilst you are coming down.

Get it right and he'll be stalling out and you'll have a lovely planform to shoot at - get it wrong and yes - he has a solution on you. You're to blame. If I was the bad guy and you offered me a shot to nothing, damn straight I'll take it!

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »
This is something that I (for some reason) got concerned about. When roping a plane and you loop back over the top, and he's still on the way up, but obviously not going to catch you - would that count as a ho?

Looping over the top......  not me.    :D
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 09:41:30 PM »
Since I started flying the LA7 this happens to me alot, I am only alive 75% of time after this said shot going down into them lol.