Author Topic: Known Warper, Pt 2  (Read 2371 times)

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
Known Warper, Pt 2
« on: April 30, 2009, 11:46:57 PM »
Well, I killed off some processes, which was good, logged on, same old same old.

I get this constantly, non-stop.

I did check out the system requirements though - every time I start AH my CPU usage goes to 100%. Does it need that much memory or have I screwed up somewhere? Maybe it's writing to the hard drive the things it can't keep in memory?

(The 100% bits below are where I had AH running. Switched it off and CPU useage dropped down, started it up, back up we went)

... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
Re: Known Warper, Pt 2
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 11:52:00 PM »
What are your computer specs?  They seem to be fairly old and limited.  You have a single core CPU and only 512mb of RAM.  I noticed u dropped about 20 processes, which is good.  Try and aim for the 30's.  Skuzzy recommends low 20's, but for every day use computers, may be a little much (or less that is).
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 07:04:12 AM »
I try to keep my processes between 20 - 25. On this system that keeps me pretty lean and clean.

Looks like your computer is going full out to run AH at all.

To really be sure you have a solid internet connect and its not your computer, you'd have to get and run ping plotter or Visual route. Basically software that sends packets to an address (can get main arena ip # from details in arena select screen) It keeps sending and receiving packets and builds up a graph showing what hops, what the ping and packet loss is for each hop.

There should be free trial versions of both out there, they both do basically the same thing.
Both should save to an output file that you can post in skuzzys internet connectivity forum.

And it will tell you if the problem is on your end, or some backbone or hop that you have no control over.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 07:05:52 AM »
Aces High II should be using 100% of the CPU.  DirectX is configured by Microsoft to do that.  You should be worried if Aces High II is using less than 98% of the CPU.

Take a look in the "Processes" list to see how CPU percentage it shows "aceshigh.exe" is using.  It should be above 98%.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 07:13:44 AM »
OK Skuzz, sorry for the mis-posting on the other part of the board.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 07:02:21 PM »
My only guess is this...

It's your Internet Connection, do you run on dial-up, cable, dsl, or satellite?
The last one is going to do exactly what I'm seeing in the SS's, high ping with a lot of ups and downs.

If you run on a land-line of some sort do you run a firewall?
It may be a virus or something thats bogging down your internet.

One of the easiest ways of testing to see if it's ping is to open CMD and type in this "ping www.hitechcreations.com" without the quotation marks. Anything over 300ms is going to give you "warping" issues. If your ping seems alright the next thing I would do is invest in a new firewall such as ESET's or Comodo to block any sort of incoming attacks or outgoing that may be bogging down your connection. If neither of the above work I'm not quite sure, it may be hardware then.

Comodo's Website http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/

ESET's Website http://www.eset.com/
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 07:04:33 PM by AirFlyer »
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 04:24:16 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion. Will run ping plotter and post here. It's just terribly strange and frustrating - I can't identify any pattern of events here that consistently influences the sawtooth one way or the other.

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 04:43:58 PM »
I have the same problem, but I don't have really any problem in the MA, more the DA and the SEA. I think it has to do with the ram of your system. I'm running 1GB of Ram, which I don't think is enough. I would put at lease 2 GB of ram in your system, and see if that reduces any of the warping.
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 06:10:53 AM »
Got the same symptoms on a core 2 duo CPU, but its a known issue. I may have found a workaround tho.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Fianna

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 05:16:42 PM »
Got the same symptoms on a core 2 duo CPU, but its a known issue. I may have found a workaround tho.

What is it?

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 11:03:05 PM »
I have the same problem with a dual core AMD processor running Vista. I've cut every background process that is safe and still get warping. I just fly with it and listen to everyone whine.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 07:33:35 AM »
RPM, you installed AH to a folder outside, "Program Files" right? For instance: C:\Games\HTC\Aces High II\

I can agree with Bosco on the RAM. A lot of the terrains in the SEA use custom objects which require more resources to display them. The majority of the time, the resources required to display these custom objects are either your video card memory or your system memory (RAM).
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 10:33:04 PM »
Denholm - should AH be in the programs folder, or a separate (eg "Games") folder?

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 12:52:36 AM »
RPM, you installed AH to a folder outside, "Program Files" right? For instance: C:\Games\HTC\Aces High II\

I can agree with Bosco on the RAM. A lot of the terrains in the SEA use custom objects which require more resources to display them. The majority of the time, the resources required to display these custom objects are either your video card memory or your system memory (RAM).
Yep. I've followed all the Vista and AMD workarounds.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 12:55:09 AM »
Skuzzy, correct me if i'm wrong but...

Didn't you tell me once that a saw tooth Net Status like in the OP means something (program) is firing off in the background?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 12:59:10 AM by WMLute »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit