Author Topic: TrackIR 5!?  (Read 3667 times)

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
Re: TrackIR 5!?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2009, 08:53:51 AM »
DOnt know if I didnt find the issue,but in TIR4,you could pause it,THEN CENTER IT..

With 5,it does not seem as if I can center AFTER I pause it..This to me is a BIG issue that I hope they work out.. :salute

Offline Silat

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2009, 03:21:25 AM »
I was the first person in the world to receive the new Tr5... :)
Its got a much better stand. Its response seems smoother and I like where they are going with the software.

Lew
+Silat
"The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them." — Maya Angelou
"Conservatism offers no redress for the present, and makes no preparation for the future." B. Disraeli
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason."

Offline Torcher

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2009, 09:05:32 AM »
Still relatively new with the whole TrackIR (V4) but when I tried the 5 software (I know, it's beta) it seemed jumpy and too sensitive. I tried toning down the curves but it did not seem to help. Of course, the relative newbness to the whole setup may be contributing to the issues, but going back to the older software worked for me. Of course, as always, YMMV. I'll wait for it to come out of beta before I try again.

Offline Sox62

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2009, 09:56:23 AM »
The only thing that intrigues me is the improved field of view,and it's supposed improvement in eliminating hostile light sources.I have a window behind me that catches a lot of light and I can't use my TrackIR 4 during the afternoon when it's sunny.Other than that,I'm happy with my TrackIR 4.

I don't see myself upgrading anytime soon.I'd probably just replace my unit with another TrackIR 4 if it broke.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2009, 11:36:18 AM »
Received and installed 5 last night.  Screwed around some, offline.

I can see already that, like rudder pedals, it will take at least a month to get used to.  However, just like rudder pedals, I can see that I will also probably reach the "how did I live without this?" point with the TIR.

I have a couple questions for veteran users of previous versions, though:

1.  Has anyone created any AH specific profiles with the 5 software, yet?

2.  Im running into the following "hitches" when trying to create my own:
a.  Leaning left and right - this works just fine when you are looking ahead - however when I turn to look at my six, the inputs are reversed.  In other words, to lean right when I am facing forward, I lean right.  To lean right when I can facing rearward, I must lean left.  Can this be fixed?
b.  Is it possible for me to create "stop points" where my view can not progress any further?  For example, if I turn my head to look at my six, can I program a profile where by 180 degrees is the maximum amount of rotation the camera will allow?  I want to avoid "spinning through" my desired point of view.
c.  Rear views.  Oh boy.  So the set views in AH are awesome.  By comparison, I get a whole face full of headrest with the TIR.  Is there any way I can program the software to automatically move the vantage point away from the seat and to one side or the other when looking behind, as one would with F10 and the standard AH views?

Plenty of other little hurdles and I think that a large time investment will be required when tweaking everything but, once its set up, I am positive that this hardware will prove to be nothing short of awesome.

Offline Zoomie

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2009, 01:25:17 PM »
Try this:

1. In your TIR 5 profile, kill (uncheck) true view and DO NOT check the TIR option in AH (preferences/view options)
     a. That should solve your moving right and looking left problem when looking back

2. As far as the getting too much rotation when you look aft, you can tweak your "balls" in the TIR set up profile.  Try 0,0 for the center; 10,4 for #1; 10.4, 6.9 for #2; 18.9, 3.4 for #3; and 29.6, 0.3 for #4 (in the yaw mode).

3.  I have found that killing the roll mode is advantageous.  Makes things more stable for me.

4. Also, I had trouble saving the profiles but learned that once I had a new one set up, the system would ask for a save if I just clicked on another profile...ie, before it would switch it would ask....

Hope this helps 

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2009, 05:21:29 PM »
Received and installed 5 last night.  Screwed around some, offline.

I can see already that, like rudder pedals, it will take at least a month to get used to.  However, just like rudder pedals, I can see that I will also probably reach the "how did I live without this?" point with the TIR.

I have a couple questions for veteran users of previous versions, though:

1.  Has anyone created any AH specific profiles with the 5 software, yet?

2.  Im running into the following "hitches" when trying to create my own:
a.  Leaning left and right - this works just fine when you are looking ahead - however when I turn to look at my six, the inputs are reversed.  In other words, to lean right when I am facing forward, I lean right.  To lean right when I can facing rearward, I must lean left.  Can this be fixed?
b.  Is it possible for me to create "stop points" where my view can not progress any further?  For example, if I turn my head to look at my six, can I program a profile where by 180 degrees is the maximum amount of rotation the camera will allow?  I want to avoid "spinning through" my desired point of view.
c.  Rear views.  Oh boy.  So the set views in AH are awesome.  By comparison, I get a whole face full of headrest with the TIR.  Is there any way I can program the software to automatically move the vantage point away from the seat and to one side or the other when looking behind, as one would with F10 and the standard AH views?

Plenty of other little hurdles and I think that a large time investment will be required when tweaking everything but, once its set up, I am positive that this hardware will prove to be nothing short of awesome.
a. Zoomie is right about TrueView and TIR option. That should fix the problem.
b.  I'm not really sure what the problem is that you're having because (unless this is a new feature of V5) the view will only go 180 degrees from where you center it.  This is true in the pitch, roll and yaw planes and is actually one of the things I'd like to see changed.  For instance, I'll be following an NME in the horizontal plane as he begins to overshoot. In RL, you can actually see past your tail.  By that I mean if you're watching a guy in this overshooting scenario by looking left over your left shoulder you can actually watch him pass from the left side of your plane to the right but in TIR the view stops at exactly your six.  Same is true in a looping flight, you follow him up on your canopy but when you reach 90 deg up the view stops.  I'd like it if they'd let the view go an additional 20 to 30 degrees.  If you feel you're "spinning through" I think you're just saying that you're overshooting the line of sight you want.  If so, try reducing the overall values of your curves down.  There is (at least in TIR V4) a button that allows you to shift the entire curve up and down.  That will change the sensitivity without changing the relationship of your chosen profile points.
c.  The trick here is to lean a bit forward and down and then hit the center button.   That "fools" TIR into thinking that you've moved your head back and so puts your in-game head towards the back of the cockpit.  When you turn to check six it then thinks your in-game head is now toward the front of the cockpit (and away from the headrest) so you can see more clearly around the sides.
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2009, 08:23:17 AM »
Ok, "A" worked - thanks.  Rear view now mimics instead of mirrors head movement.

"B" must be a new feature of TIR5 because I can yaw all the way around from front to left to rear to right and back to front by simply turning my head left.  By the same token, my pitch does not stop at 90 degrees but can progress as far as I want it to, depending on the settings.

I did run into an interesting issue last night, though, that I didnt have the first night.  My pitch up actually *would* stop as you as describing - at about 70 degrees.  The TIR software showed (I think) that the camera couldnt see the LED's after that.  Very strange.  Ill have to screw around with it.

In any event - flew a couple sorties at dweeb lake in the DA and, after getting a couple Tempests to come down from 20,000ft, I made two observations;

1.)  My SA sucks.  That will change.  I think Ill have to change my pitch settings, too, because I'd like it to match my yaw settings in terms of input = view.

2.)  My concept of 3D space has increased ten fold.  While the actual visible sky might suffer (6 view), in situations like a rolling scissors, where position, orientation and speed must be calculated accurately, the TIR is hugely superior to the keypad.

I dont even need to mention the instantaneous benefit of having your hand on the throttle 100% of the time.

<--- Happy customer who needs to do some tweaking.

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2009, 12:37:56 PM »
There is (at least in TIR V4) a button that allows you to shift the entire curve up and down.  That will change the sensitivity without changing the relationship of your chosen profile points.

Unfortunately, this feature has been done away with in TIR5.  I complained about it and Seth told me he was going to run this by the developers and see what they can do.  His suggestion was to allow you to draw a box around any/all of the curve edit points so that you can drag them up or down to shift the curve as you describe.  I hope this feature makes it into production.
The Hay Street Boys

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2009, 03:21:47 PM »
Man, if the TIR5 software allows you to rotate your head past the 180* point I may have to download it. One of the most annoying things is watching someone go over me and be stopped at the full up point, and have to re-adjust my head! In real life I can look slightly behind me by tilting my head back the whole way, but with the TIR4 software I can't. (unless there's a setting I'm unaware of).

Also, those that are having trouble with 6 views may want to adjust your profiles. TIR allows for beautiful 6 views, that are much more flexible than the snap views.

EX F4U1A (not the best you can get, just a quick glance!)

P51D

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2009, 03:37:26 PM »
I get better and easier 6 views using the 5 software than I did with the 4.  I was able to get good 6 views after a while of tweaking on the 4 but the new software just gives me a bit of a better angle and with less head/body movement now.  I really like this new software really. 
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2009, 04:23:57 PM »
Agreed Bubi, if this new software package allow views beyond the 180 degree arc (90 deg up/down) that alone would make it worth downloading. As long as nothing else is messed up, that is. :)

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2009, 04:40:13 PM »
motherland do you mind sharing your profile, thats better then anything I can get in the hog...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2009, 06:09:27 PM »
Ive just came accross Track R, how would you say using it is like? easy to set up?
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2009, 06:12:15 PM »
motherland do you mind sharing your profile, thats better then anything I can get in the hog...

Depends, how much is it worth to ya?

:D

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=d1ad73b54e5c24c836df4e8dca141969e04e75f6e8ebb871

It's really sensitive, I like having a wide range of motion for little movement of my head.
I've got the Track Clip Pro so you may have to adjust some things. The hotkeys are down arrow=center, up arrow=pause, left arrow=sensitive mode (or whatever it's called). Run in sensitive mode if you don't already, you'll have to hold your head very still but IMO it's well worth the flexibility. The non axis controls are very sensitive as well for maneuvering around those pesky canopy struts in the 109.
Also not that those views are not the simple result of turning my head, you have to lean forward and the way you want to look slightly, as you would if you wanted to look behind you around an obstruction IRL.

Ive just came accross Track R, how would you say using it is like? easy to set up?
You may not like it at first. If you've made the transition from twisty stick to rudder pedals before, it's kinda like that, although IMO it's more intuitive, though to others it's more difficult. You're SA will be terrible for the first month or so while you get used to it and get your profile set up. After that you won't be able to fly without it. Best thing ever for flight sims beside the joystick IMO.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 06:15:57 PM by Motherland »