Author Topic: TrackIR 5!?  (Read 3669 times)

Offline _vic_

• Copper Member
      • imagitronics.org
TrackIR 5!?
« on: May 01, 2009, 10:14:26 AM »
I just got an email from NaturalPoint, the makers of TrackIR. Apparently the TrackIR 5 is out now... TrackIR 4 and 3 (with vector expansion) owners can upgrade to the new 5.0 software...

My question. Who's going to be brave enough to take the plunge first and report back to us?  :devil

Tim

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Re: TrackIR 5!?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 05:46:41 PM »
Since my current TIR is working really well, I'm going to wait for TIR 5.0 FINAL and will probably not try TIR 5.0 BETA 01 as they are offering at this time.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 05:57:39 PM »
What advantages is it supposed to have over the old software? TIR 4 is pretty sweet. They didn't email me....

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 07:49:17 PM »
Here is some text that I clipped out of the email that came in today...

More Precision
With a 640 x 480 sensor resolution, TrackIR 5 has triple the number of pixels as a TrackIR 4, resulting in radically more precise tracking and further tracking distances. Combined with NaturalPoint's new Precision Grayscale analysis, it achieves a reporting resolution of 96,000 x 72,000. The result is a potent 10-fold increase in effective resolution over TrackIR 4. See a video demonstration of Precision Grayscale on the Product Comparison page.

More Freedom
TrackIR 5's 51.7° field of view is an increase of more than 12% over TrackIR 4. Enjoy more trackable real estate as you move around as much as you need to. Like to sit close to your monitor? Track a fuller range of head motion from up close. Want to keep your distance? Leverage the higher resolution with the wider field of view and enjoy more room than you'll know what to do with at larger distances. With an effective resolution of 1850 subpixels per horizontal field of view degree, you'll still enjoy tremendous tracking fidelity.

More Reliability
TrackIR 5's intelligent design aims to reduce damage from wear and tear with a magnetically attached base and USB cable anchor. The newly designed software introduces NaturalPoint's Spurious Marker Rejection to help filter out unwanted light sources in hostile conditions

Those bastages!  Now I have to save up even *more* of my pennies for new hardware!   ;)

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 11:52:04 PM »
The 5 beta is a little raw yet.  The biggest issue is there is no way (that I know of) to import your TIR4 profiles into it.  The format is considerably different.  You'd have to redesign your profile.  There are some functions that don't quite work right yet as well.  It's a very nice interface and will definitely be worth it when it's done.  Once they get the bugs ironed out you will definitely want to upgrade to it.

I'm talking about the software here of course, not the TrackIR5 itself which I have not put my hands on.  From what Bino has outlined, it may be worth the extra $50 over TrackIR4.  Sad thing is, I payed $180 for my TrackIR4 some years back.  Oh well.  I payed $500 for a 500MB hard drive too once upon a time.  That's the way it goes in the world of computers.
The Hay Street Boys

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 12:32:48 AM »
This time I think I will let someone else be the first to jump. :devil
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 02:36:04 PM »
Well, good news is you can use the TIR-5 software with your TIR-4 (vector enabled) hardware.  No reason to upgrade hardware, really.  For AH2, I don't see the extra resolution of the new TIR hardware making any difference.  And the software seems to be an upgrade to the config editor, again nothing you really need unless you have the new hardware or are one of those "I gotta be first to get this new widget no matter the cost or if I really need it." 
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 05:14:11 PM »
I was really hoping they would come out with a wireless version of the track clip pro that ran on a AAA battery or something.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 05:16:54 PM »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 05:25:36 PM »
I'll give the beta a try when I get my week off - whats it gonna hurt lol  ;) :D

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline Jazz1

• Zinc Member
      • http://jazzmansplace.com
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 02:57:45 PM »
I just ordered version 5 today.  I may have some problems with setup since I us a 50" plasma monitor and am 6 to 8 feet back from the screen.  The online manual says ideal is around 2 feet and no more than 4 feet.  Any suggestions?

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 06:53:44 PM »
I just ordered version 5 today.  I may have some problems with setup since I us a 50" plasma monitor and am 6 to 8 feet back from the screen.  The online manual says ideal is around 2 feet and no more than 4 feet.  Any suggestions?
You could put the camera in front of you below the screen on a tripod.  I would think this might cause some masking issues when looking up.  Another option is to place it behind you and wear your hat like a gangsta'.  If you do this you'll need to go to your profile and "invert" the axis (there's a check box for each axis).

I've downloaded the 5 beta and will try it out when I have time.  It's easy to revert to .037 if there are too many problems.  Still not sure how 5.0 could improve the TIR4 though.  It doesn't look like there are any functional changes (a'la the axis changes back in .029) but we'll see.  I'm also not sure that upgrading from TIR4 to TIR5 cameras would be worth it though as I don't have any problems with the FOV and TIR4 seems more than accurate enough.  I think I'll probably wait until someone else is willing to "take one for the team" before forking over the cash.

Just a final note...I'm really encouraged by the claimed improvements (resolution and 6DOF) of the new 3d devices....I may be willing to jump on one of them soon.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 07:03:51 PM by Mace2004 »
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 11:07:12 AM »
I have no complaints whatsoever on my TrackIR 4 so do not see a reason to upgrade or anything. That's not saying I would not reconsider after having tried TrackIR 5 though. At this point I will not upgrade. As a new customer though I see no reason why you should not get TrackIR 5.

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 11:50:30 AM »
I have no complaints whatsoever on my TrackIR 4 so do not see a reason to upgrade or anything. That's not saying I would not reconsider after having tried TrackIR 5 though. At this point I will not upgrade. As a new customer though I see no reason why you should not get TrackIR 5.

this.

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 01:00:42 PM »
I highly recommend anyone who has TrackIR (of any flavor) and cares about the future of it to go to the TrackIR 5 forum and offer a reasonable and respectful perspective on the TrackIR5 software.  This is your chance to help them get it right while it's in beta.   You should first load up TrackIR5 first and play with it of course.

I don't think you want me as your sole spokesman.
The Hay Street Boys