Author Topic: TrackIR 5!?  (Read 3743 times)

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
Re: TrackIR 5!?
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2009, 07:03:41 PM »
You may not like it at first. If you've made the transition from twisty stick to rudder pedals before, it's kinda like that, although IMO it's more intuitive, though to others it's more difficult. You're SA will be terrible for the first month or so while you get used to it and get your profile set up. After that you won't be able to fly without it. Best thing ever for flight sims beside the joystick IMO.

Could not agree more, TrackIR is the !

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2009, 07:41:35 PM »
Thank you very much, highly recommended :aok :salute

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2009, 09:10:46 PM »
much better overall but still have a big issue with stuff getting lost in 6. Seems like I get view out of whack under stress and cant reorient. Frustrating since losing view is a basic you get past very early and all of a sudden i'm losing fights because I'm losing views....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2009, 09:12:57 PM »
much better overall but still have a big issue with stuff getting lost in 6. Seems like I get view out of whack under stress and cant reorient. Frustrating since losing view is a basic you get past very early and all of a sudden i'm losing fights because I'm losing views....
Maybe you just need more time to get used to it? I still have occasional problems with certain views (like what I mentioned in my original post), but I don't really have many issues with 6 views. It's certainly a lot better than the snap views.

Offline Torcher

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2009, 08:06:14 PM »
Had my 4 for a couple weeks and starting to get used to it. My hit % took a "hit" but that too is coming around.

I tried the 5 software for a couple of days and no thank you :rolleyes:. Went back to the 4 software with modded AH2 profiles that i found linked on this site and much better ... smoother.

Things i'm sure will come about after more use:
Flying into the ground while looking up at a target. That view sure looks like I've got space until I move back forward ... oops!
Hit %. I use the dedicated forward view arrangement mentioned a couple of times on threads in here. All the difference in the world IMHO.
The 6 view. I'm dancin around in my chair trying to get a view. My son says it looks like I have palsy.

Have not gotten to the point of where I say, "boy, I wish I had this all along". I have no doubt that'll be coming soon, too.

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2009, 11:29:09 PM »
First, make sure that your distance from the camera is set to give you the maximum field of view.  If you're too close then the FOV is relatively small, sitting back further from the camera (or moving the camera back) means you have less of a tendancy for your head to move out of the FOV.  Next, my yaw profile curves up fairly dramatically, it looks like a bowl.  The greater movement at the 180 position makes it a bit easier since you don't have to move your head as much towards the six o'clock position.  I'm just guessing but I probably move my head about 10 degrees to see the first 90 degrees of in-game head movement.  The next 5 degrees give me the next 90 degrees.  The other trick is to lean forward a bit when centering.  That said, there is a disadvantage to using TIR with some airplanes like the F4u series, 109E/F, and to a degree the F6F.  To me, the rear view available using regular the regular AH coolie hat is actually better than with TIR.  It takes quite a bit of practice to figure out where exactly you need to move your head to check six with these planes.
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2009, 07:38:15 AM »
thanks Mace, I'll double check all that.

Offline diaster

• Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2009, 05:11:23 PM »
I just ordered version 5 today.  I may have some problems with setup since I us a 50" plasma monitor and am 6 to 8 feet back from the screen.  The online manual says ideal is around 2 feet and no more than 4 feet.  Any suggestions?
I have a speaker, for my 5.1 right behind my keyboard and set the unt on top of it. Satndard hieght desk and about 6 inches above that and about 2 feet back.
works better than on top of monitor. no masking issue and my body blocks out any light behind me, which can cause problems when the door is opened, et,
"Harden The F_ck Up”

Offline stran

• Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2009, 02:45:15 AM »
if you have yet to try it. run trackir without the panning movement. *disable X,Y,Z.

as you look around your views snap to good 6 and high 6 head positions. it wont do it when x,y,z are enabled.

i am running trackir 5.0 with just yaw and pitch and it seems like the ideal way to look around, part keypad part mouselook. also, i don't like the proclip at all. the symmetrically oriented hat reflectors seem to register better with the camera at off angles.

edit:
i setup my scaling with a flat line so the rotation speed never changes. when i reach 27 degrees of movement i'll be looking 180 degrees which is most comfortable for me.
also want to add my joystick scaling is 80% across the board, because a curved scale is just wierd.

to get an over the nose look you can hold LookForward and pitch your head up to pan up.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 02:57:16 AM by stran »
Squash

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2009, 06:23:23 AM »
any idea on how long it may take for the final version to come out?

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2009, 08:47:54 AM »
1.)  Can I use a TIR4 profile with TIR5?
2.)  Has anyone made a decent TIR5 profile yet?

Offline RipChord929

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2009, 10:40:58 AM »
Well, looks like I'm going to have to get one of these gizmos...
Sounds like an awesome deal... Should'a bought one before now...

Ordering it right now!

RC
"Well Cmdr Eddington, looks like we have ourselves a war..."
"Yeah, a gut bustin, mother lovin, NAVY war!!!"

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2009, 11:01:50 AM »
1.)  Can I use a TIR4 profile with TIR5?
2.)  Has anyone made a decent TIR5 profile yet?

Beta 4 is out and translates profiles as well as eliminating a lot of other issues. Seems to be pretty good...

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2009, 12:53:27 PM »
Beta 4 is out and translates profiles as well as eliminating a lot of other issues. Seems to be pretty good...

Thanks.  Will give it a go.

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2009, 01:28:41 PM »
After much discussion with the techs at NaturalPoint, I decided to plop down $148 for the TrackIR 5 hardware.  I am also running TIR5 Beta 4 software as well. 

I must tell you honestly that this is a HUGE upgrade over TIR4.  Much more than I thought.  The primary difference between TIR5 and TIR4 is "increased resolution."  I really scoffed at that and really thought it was nothing but marketing hype.  I was so wrong.  Turns out, the great work Mace has done building a TIR4 profile that makes TIR4 so much more responsive than it is with the default profile essentially was an effort to overcome a lack of resolution.  He may not even have realized that.  I certainly didn't.  With TIR5, because there is greater resolution, there is much more responsiveness, but it is also much much smoother as a result too.  I was really amazed right away.  In fact, I loaded Mace's profile (TIR5 now allows TIR4 profile import) and it was unusable.  The response is SO fast that it is impossible to control.  That's because the resolution of TIR5 is so much higher that the view just jumps all over the place!  The default TIR5 profile is every bit as responsive as the one Mace did for TIR4 because the hardware is just that much more precise.  You'd have to experience what I'm saying to really understand.  Within fifteen minutes, I was able to get the profile adjusted for AH in such a way as I have never experienced.  I even left the "Roll" axis enabled which allows me to look around the tail better.  Many of us have left that axis disabled because it caused so much confusion.   With TIR5 however, the movement is so easy to control and natural feeling that the roll axis is just as natural as the other axes.

Personally, I'm loving this thing and am glad I got it.
The Hay Street Boys