Author Topic: Guilty as charged!  (Read 2030 times)

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Re: Guilty as charged!
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2009, 12:05:11 AM »
You know.. It might just be that these arguments have been gone thru so many times over the years, that now just about anyone who's paid attention to em can run thru the arguments blindfolded.  Is that so far fetched ?

You think I'm purist?  What's that got to do with it?  You think I'm some kinda disciplined gung ho purist?  You're off the mark again.  Elitism? Playing to be the best? Been there, done that.  Say something nice?  Like be a complete hypocrit?  If I were I wouldn't be saying what I've been saying.  I'd mention all the "nice" things said in the game to/from the 8 or 9 people out of 10 I play with or against, but that'd be self-serving..

Have you considered that you simply can't help but read too much into what are some plain simple rhetoric about the clinical mechanics of gameplay?  Does that just not compute, somehow?  Yeah, now I'm being condescending, because in all honesty I don't understand how you could fail to see that that's the kind of "rant" that all these threads are, and not about what kind of person anyone is.  Just the type of gameplay they give.  Look at the worst rant that I do get hot and bothered about.. Spitfires.  I despise spitfires.. Just no taste for them.  But nowhere does any of it spill over onto distaste for spit drivers.  If I have distaste for spit drivers, it's in a really non-specific abstract sense, only in the archetypal sense.  No personal attack to it. No argument that they ought to not fly spits, or have fun with em, or have a passion for em.
It's the same with hordes.  But then if some of you guys want to be living breathing allegories, that's up to you.

And again, this bears repeating and asking.. How exactly is anyone forcing anything via text on a virtual forum?  You don't like the threads where people debate some parts of the game?  Don't read em!  Don't reply to em! You keep saying you can't stand such and such people "imposing" on what others do or don't for gameplay, but then you turn coat and demand that people stop that intolerably pertinent arguing! :lol 

"Me and my ilk" :lol  Speaking of social graces...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 12:09:19 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2009, 12:15:20 AM »
Moot, did you insert the word "purist" (purism) where he meant "elitist" (elitism)?

Purist (Purism): A purist is one who desires that an item remain true to its essence and free from adulterating or diluting influences. The term may be used in almost any field, and can be applied either to the self or to others. Use of the term may be either pejorative or complimentary, depending on context. Because the appellation depends on subjective notions of what is "pure" as opposed to "adulterating" as applied to any particular item, conflict can arise both as to whether a person so labeled is actually a purist and as to whether that is desirable.

Or...

Elitist (Elitism):  The term elitism is also sometimes used to denote situations in which a group of people claiming to possess high abilities or simply an in-group or cadre grant themselves extra privileges at the expense of others. This form of elitism may be described as discrimination.

Honestly, I think there is an important disticntion between Purist (purism) and Elitist (elitism)...

« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 12:16:59 AM by PFactorDave »

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2009, 12:19:54 AM »
I didn't insert anything that wasn't there. It's right there in his post to me.

The only amiguity I would see would be purist and puritan, and elitist and elite. Purism and elitism are totally separate things.

And .. look here!
And yet you posted what you did?  Interesting insight on your character then, eh?
Why hasn't someone reported this man for being "belittling and demeaning"?? :lol
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 12:24:10 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2009, 12:22:57 AM »
And yet you posted what you did?  Interesting insight on your character then, eh?

Dave, you are definately missing the point if you are going to try and make Oldman one of the bad guys here.  One of the classiest, most laid back fair people in the game, and that's despite his being a lawyer! :)

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2009, 12:27:15 AM »
Typical.. See Oldman encourage exellence, and debase it as somehow suspicious.. Maybe Oldman wants all players to be excellent.. How belittling and demeaning of him..
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2009, 12:36:43 AM »
Banshee you went Bish?     I just lost a bit of respect for you.    Its not like the Horde needs more players

Why?   Bish have been low numbers all week.   The last part is delicious irony.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2009, 02:00:03 AM »
If they stop hording, then how am I supposed to get all those sweet maneuver kills?
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2009, 09:04:32 PM »
Need more HO's...they are one on one.  :devil

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2009, 10:54:38 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrbn785E5Bk

I found a song for you Banshee.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2009, 03:34:20 PM »
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline DMBEAR

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • JG2 Richtofen
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2009, 05:43:05 PM »
Why?   Bish have been low numbers all week.   The last part is delicious irony.   

Dang Karaya, I thought with all the swine flu school closings Bish #'s would explode.   :D

<S> Bud

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2009, 06:06:46 PM »
Ban the Oldman!!!!!

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2009, 02:22:52 AM »
that's despite his being a lawyer! :)

I didn't know that... it is too bad that 'kill shooter' is enabled.  :D 

j/k Oldman
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline ElGuapo1

• Copper Member
      • http://www.yoursheephaverugburns
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2009, 02:57:52 AM »
Oldman you're a lawyer?Great........ Now i got this visual of William Shatner kissing James Spader....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I'm not just a "Ban Boston Legal" Member...I'm the President :D

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2009, 09:09:03 AM »
Oldman you're a lawyer?Great........ Now i got this visual of William Shatner kissing James Spader....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I'm not just a "Ban Boston Legal" Member...I'm the President :D

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/3662419/10081463

- oldman