Author Topic: A HO?  (Read 1760 times)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Re: A HO?
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2009, 02:17:17 PM »
No.  there is something beautiful about that 37mm on the Yak.  A head on shot with that gun, especially a long shot with high closure, is simply too good to pass up on.

Whenever I am within 4000 yards of a red Yak9T I am very tuned in to the fact that insta-tower travel is just a trigger tap away.

"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2009, 02:23:51 PM »
what amazes me is the amount of people in the game that will take on a 110 nose to nose :confused:, it never ends pretty........and I always go ouch!, that was ugly... :uhoh
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2009, 02:27:28 PM »
BTW, the 9T is a good dogfighter.  I was having big fun in one the other night, 1 vs 1, 9T vs 9T but the other guy was hugging flakpanzers the whole time and one of them finally got me after 2-3 minutes.
One of my favourite A2G sorties is with the Yak9T vrs Flaks.  I approach from a distance, below the tree tops...with preknowledge of where the flakers are.  They almost never look level...always looking up.  Just two or three pops with the cannon and they are neutered, belching smoke.  Usually get the kill once they are tagged or tower out.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2009, 03:04:51 AM »
Well strong, and blauk. ty for the amusment and different style of game play. My guess is considering you guys are on at different times. Means, possibly a small variation in game style.  I'm not ankle humping anyone of you like some in this thread. its just IMO.  I try to fly most of the selective planes so I know what their like. For blauk, agree with you. If someones wants to ho a 109k4 hehe. And strong, if the only thing the guy knows is to go nose on well you know. take it easy strong these threads are measured in horse manure. again my opinion. hehe :D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 03:12:12 AM by crazyivan »
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2009, 06:38:56 AM »
was thinking about this thread (and RL 190 tactics) last night while climbing out in a 190A8, and decided for just one sortie to fly very aggressively and have the HO as a primary ACM option, rather than just a last resort. encounters are noticeably different with this mindset.

the one thing which stood out is that most players seem to leave themselves open to the HO, perhaps because they assume that most players wont be trying for it. in several cases the enemy cons would have been ok if they had chosen a much more defensive approach, rather than a marginal chance of advantage which left them open to the HO. I could almost see them thinking "surely he wont..." put simply, they were using a DA style minimal separation merge and paid the price for it. of the 4 kills i landed, 3 were from pure HO shots, the other 3 cons I HOd had to rtb with engine hits and/or pws, which also allowed me to egress.

I imagine it caused a bit of moaning on rook ch, but overall a very enjoyable sortie. conclusions? 1. flying the occasional sortie with a completely different mindset is fun, variety is the spice of life. 2. the guns cold DA merge is completely artificial and doesnt do anyone any favours when it comes to flying in anything other than a 1v1 DA duel.

*runs for cover*
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2009, 07:03:51 AM »
Was online last night for the first time in a week or so and got into a good fight (2 of 3 last night were good one-on-ones) with me in a Spixteen against a Seafire (the other good fight was me in a Temp vs. a Ta-152).

So anyway, this fight had been going on for about 5 minutes.  We ended up slightly seperated and as we both came around I had the opportunity to take a HO shot, which I did.  It's not like it was an opening merge or that we had 1.5K seperation or anything but there was some seperation.

The pilot ended up ditching safely denying me the kill.  He then posted something about HOing on 200 to which I PM'd him my response which lead to a heated exchange of name calling which led to a trip to the DA where we had five really fun fights.  <S> dude... any time you want to do that again let me know.

Now my question is; after 5 minutes of jostling would you have taken the HO shot?

I've always played that after the merge anything goes.
For me it depends on the fight. I usually don't take the shot, and usually die that way too. If i'm in a slow turn fight with a spit and am about to die if I don't shoot him now...sure fire away. But as a rule I'd rather saddle-up and gets some scissors or something going.
We've all ran into guys that come in at ya headon every merge and won't use the better turning planes strengths. Alot of would-be "good fights" are spoiled that way. :)
Lighten up Francis

Offline ttflier

• Copper Member
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2009, 01:14:57 PM »
So is a HO sanctioned if you are head on, between your field and the pilot vulching it?
Tree Top Flier (ttflier)

http://www.91stbombgroup.net

"Bush league pilots just can't get the job done" lyrics by Stephen Stills

Offline CountD90

• Nickel Member
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2009, 01:25:21 PM »
So is a HO sanctioned if you are head on, between your field and the pilot vulching it?
I love when people vulch the fields at low angels, makes for pretty fireworks when they cross your sights.
GameID:Count
The Misfit Toys
Quote from: Wreked
If you are feeling a little useless, offended, or depressed, just remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious little sperm out of millions.

Offline strong10

• Copper Member
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2009, 02:55:29 PM »
was thinking about this thread (and RL 190 tactics) last night while climbing out in a 190A8, and decided for just one sortie to fly very aggressively and have the HO as a primary ACM option

The 190A8 only ACM option is the HO shot.  Whenever I encounter a 190 I know 2 things will occur: A HO shot and a disappearing act.  But I do agree with you RTHolmes, change it up a little for some spice.  You gotta fly that 190A8 like some kind of wrecking ball.  Bring on the Ho'ing spit-tard, lol.   :eek: