Author Topic: Myth: SpitXVI is "slow"  (Read 13907 times)

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Re: Myth: SpitXVI is "slow"
« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2009, 03:32:37 PM »
In game, the climb performance and top speed are slightly inferior. These attributes are generally referred to "engine performance" even though the differences can be caused by attaching more/less airplane to the same basic engine (P-47 vs. F4U at low alts) as well as an actual horsepower difference.

IOW, the SpitXVI does slightly outperform the VIII, and you are delving into another irrelevancy as a distraction.

No, I am correcting an inaccurate statement, and you are wriggling. Shown by the "I was reffering to the IX", when you clearly weren't.

Fine, perk the XVI and clip the VIII, I'll go for it.

Dan - Better make a non 'e' wing clipped LF IX, less whines then.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 03:34:10 PM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2009, 03:33:28 PM »
The SpitXVI is better than the IX in every way...forgive me if I chuckle a bit when you claim RAF fans need the absolute *best* Spit in the hangar to compete in the MA.

Another unsupported, random comment....

Did you happen to forget about this? Below is my best three tours in the XVI and IX. (K/D ratio wise)

Spitfire Mk. XVI.

Tour 90: K/D =13
Tour 102: K/D = 12.11
Tour 111: K/D = 11.87

Spitfire Mk. IX.

Tour 82: K/D=13
Tour 105: K/D=13
Tour 96: K/D= 12

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2009, 03:59:11 PM »
Non the less, with a light perk, the XVI/VIII would still be viable as a main ride for most players, most of the time. It’s up for each individual player to fly their style choosing.

Putting a light perk on XVI and VIII would just rule them out for the very, very newest/poorest of players.

Very true.

Maybe the spit16 does deserve to be perked 1 or 2 points but who cares?  You would be handicapping only the noobs who can't afford to fly it every mission.  The experienced pilots flying the spit16, 'unbalancing' (  :rolleyes: ) game play, which generally is the core argument of the anti spit campaign, would not be affected AT ALL by a light perk.

So why handicap the noobs?  They need all the help they can get.

As if clubbing baby seals needs to be any easier.   :lol
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 04:11:40 PM by grizz441 »

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2009, 04:12:34 PM »
Can't seem to get the expanded stats page to work.

Unless it has changed, HT doesn't track plane usage, but from a call to him many years ago "Deaths" give a good indication of plane usage.

Could someone (if they can get it to work) post the Deaths of the top 5 planes in the MA over the last 4-5 tours.

Willing to bet the XVI is there, also willing to bet the other 4 are the so called speed demons of the MA. Just want to put BnZ's claim of he would expect the speed demons to be used more than they are if speed is everything in the MA.

Make a prediction - 1 of them will be the Pony, another the La7. Other 3, I'll wait and see.

[edit] oh k/d would be helpful also. After all deaths plus k/d should give a very good indication of plane usage. Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 04:18:10 PM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo

Offline hyster

• Copper Member
« Reply #109 on: May 10, 2009, 04:16:34 PM »
BNZ i was not directly pointing my post at you but trying to make the point that if you start to perk 1 plane then people will want the next ubber plane perked untill every planes is perked,i only choose they spit as an example and simply listed them by mk not date

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2009, 04:25:45 PM »
Can't seem to get the expanded stats page to work.

Unless it has changed, HT doesn't track plane usage, but from a call to him many years ago "Deaths" give a good indication of plane usage.

Could someone (if they can get it to work) post the Deaths of the top 5 planes in the MA over the last 4-5 tours.

The expanded stats had been removed. They had been replaced by the new stats under "individual statistics". Click on "plane" to see arena stats of a specific tour.

These are the complete numbers from 2008:

(the % in that table is the plane's share of all kills+deaths during that year)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #111 on: May 10, 2009, 04:38:51 PM »
N is faster than a 16 as long as wep remains...a bit less nimble than D40/25 obviously, but I'll take the 25 knots (what IS a typical MA alt?) Aside from that, 16 compresses trying to follow it through dive, Lgay does not, and Lgay takes abSURD amount of damage, as opposed to spit, which usually pops with 1 good burst. At any rate, I usually fare better against the 16 than the Lgay

Hrmmm? When I was dive testing them, the La has elevator stiffness somewhere in the 400s. The spit16 does not. That much I remember. I will check what TAS they compress at.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #112 on: May 10, 2009, 04:41:20 PM »
Thanks Lusche, much appreciated.

As I expected.
Putting aside the CV planes as I would always expect them to be high.

Pony
XVI
Nik
La7
Tiffy

So 3 out of the top 5 are the MA speed demons, guess they get used a lot after all. ?????
After reading about the marauding hoards of XVIs in posts, seems to me like you are more then likely going to run into a Pony than a XVI.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #113 on: May 10, 2009, 04:41:46 PM »
Your personal K/D is irrelevant. Okay, here is the skinny about the SpitXVI vs. the IX: The SpitXVI is faster, climbs better, rolls better, is more lethal, and sustains a better turn rate. The SpitIX has an advantage in sustained turn radius w/o flaps, but not in sustained turn radius with flaps. Happy now?

Another unsupported, random comment....

Did you happen to forget about this? Below is my best three tours in the XVI and IX. (K/D ratio wise)

Spitfire Mk. XVI.

Tour 90: K/D =13
Tour 102: K/D = 12.11
Tour 111: K/D = 11.87

Spitfire Mk. IX.

Tour 82: K/D=13
Tour 105: K/D=13
Tour 96: K/D= 12
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #114 on: May 10, 2009, 04:44:08 PM »
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 06:53:29 PM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #115 on: May 10, 2009, 04:47:13 PM »
Wow, this thread is on fire.  I'm over it.  Unperk the F4U-1C and Spit XIV and let's call it a day.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #116 on: May 10, 2009, 04:47:30 PM »
No, I am correcting an inaccurate statement, and you are wriggling. Shown by the "I was reffering to the IX", when you clearly weren't.

I was referring to the 9 as regards Hyster hypothetical perk progression. The next logical plane to perk after perking the Spit16 would be the 8, not the 9. Which I would not be in favor of, for reasons I have clearly stated.

Fine, perk the XVI and clip the VIII, I'll go for it.

So excellent turn rate, excellent turn radius, excellent climb and acceleration, good speed, and lethal firepower are not enough advantages for you? You must *also* have an excellent roll rate at high speeds? If I were someone who felt I needed all these advantages, I would not be making smarmy insinuations about the skills of others.

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #117 on: May 10, 2009, 04:57:20 PM »
I was referring to the 9 as regards Hyster hypothetical perk progression. The next logical plane to perk after perking the Spit16 would be the 8, not the 9. Which I would not be in favor of, for reasons I have clearly stated.

So excellent turn rate, excellent turn radius, excellent climb and acceleration, good speed, and lethal firepower are not enough advantages for you? You must *also* have an excellent roll rate at high speeds? If I were someone who felt I needed all these advantages, I would not be making smarmy insinuations about the skills of others.

Check back through the thread, you will see I have made no insinuations smarmy or otherwise, about anyones skill levels.

Merely pointed out an inacurracy in your post about the VIII v XVI engine.

Also that contrary to your lack of belief in the "speed is everything in the MA", you may be wrong about that also. Just seems the XVI and Nik buck the trend.

[edit] If you check my stats before July 07 (not played since then, tho back end of May when I get broadband) you will find I flew the Tiffy almost exclusively. So having "all the advantages" has nothing to do with it.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 05:57:30 PM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #118 on: May 10, 2009, 05:40:08 PM »
.... saying something should remain unperked because it "helps noobs compete" is a good argument ...

I know. It helps noobs compete. Why does this bother you?? What do you care if people want to fly it?  I believe I can answer this for you, since you won't answer it honestly: you are having trouble beating them with your chosen ride... maybe in any ride. I thought you flew the 51 some. I will only speak for this plane since I can't remember specific spixteen encounters I've had in other planes.

I log in, then I up on the team with the fewest numbers and head for the biggest enemy darbar I can find.  When I get there I am somewhere between 8 and 10k AGL. In that pile of bad guys will be several spixteens, some higher, some lower. I don't count them as any more dangerous than most other planes with comparable E states. In other words, they do nothing to unbalance the fight. I do OK against spixteens even under these circumstances. So why perk them? No unbalance= no need for a perk.

Completely irrelevant. Yet another childish attempt to argue through insult/annoyance. It shouldn't surprise me, you also think 200 is worth reading and commenting on.

I don't know who put a bottle in your rectum then kicked you in the butt  so hard that it broke but you are a real unpleasant person to have a discussion with. I asked a question so I could try to understand your perspective. Maybe you are just one of those people who isn't happy unless they are arguing or insulting.

Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #119 on: May 10, 2009, 06:08:16 PM »
He's unpleasant because he is logical. 

Most people are emotional.

BnZ, you are absolutely right in saying the Spixteen renders the vast majority of the planeset irrelevant.  You are absolutely wrong in thinking anyone else gives a hoot, or that you will ever be able to convince them otherwise. 

Having the Spixteen as the dominant fighter is actually preferable to having the La-7 as the dominate fighter - while the Spixteen renders most other planes irrelevant, whereas the La-7 is double superior to just about everything other than the Spits.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 06:21:06 PM by Urchin »