Author Topic: Myth: SpitXVI is "slow"  (Read 13972 times)

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Re: Myth: SpitXVI is "slow"
« Reply #195 on: May 11, 2009, 06:24:49 PM »
So we're back to the clipped wing bit.  So in essence what you are really asking for is HTC to redo the Spit LF16E as a full span wing Spitfire LFIXE.  Same exact bird but the wings aren't clipped. 

If that's what this is really all about, then go for it.

And remember I fly the 38G in latewar and enjoy fighting Spit 16s.  I'm not demanding anything for my bird of choice.  I just don't see any issue with the Spit 16.  In essence you are demanding that they give you back more of an edge to your A5 by not having a Spit that can roll with it as well.  So how bout a clipped LFVb instead?  They started clipping the wings on Spits in 42, again to counter the roll rate of the 190 so why not :)

What do you mean by "more of an edge"?  The 190A5 has no sort of edge at all over the Spixteen.  Hell, it doesn't even have an edge over the IX. 

That is the POINT.  You still have people that will voluntarily tie their hands behind their back and fly the planes that they "like" (for me it was the 190 as well) - but the game gets much older much faster when your chosen ride is double inferior to every plane you run into in addition to the perpetual gangs.  Before the La7 got popular the 190 series was actually a viable choice (well, before the La7 and before HTC nerfed the hell out of the 190 and the P51) - the Spit IX did everything better, but it was a bit slower on the deck so you could at least drag one away from the pack to fight.

You are apparently immune to burnout, bully for you.  BnZ is apparently going down the same path as me - I was more than good enough to kill 98% of the arena in a 190a5 1v1, but not quite good enough to take on 3 La7s and 4 random other planes at the same time in it.  I could roll a Spit and kill 4 or 5 of them if I could get quick kills... but I didn't want to fly a Spit.  At some point you just get tired of handicapping yourself, so you fly planes you don't enjoy flying, until you get sick of the hamster wheel and quit.  That is where I'm at now.  Since I don't see the gameplay ever changing, I imagine I'll keep coming back when HTC releases an update with a cool plane, play for a weekend and realize I still don't like it, and cancel again.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #196 on: May 11, 2009, 06:41:57 PM »
So we're back to the clipped wing bit.  So in essence what you are really asking for is HTC to redo the Spit LF16E as a full span wing Spitfire LFIXE.  Same exact bird but the wings aren't clipped. 

And remember I fly the 38G in latewar and enjoy fighting Spit 16s.  I'm not demanding anything for my bird of choice.  I just don't see any issue with the Spit 16.  In essence you are demanding that they give you back more of an edge to your A5 by not having a Spit that can roll with it as well.  So how bout a clipped LFVb instead?  They started clipping the wings on Spits in 42, again to counter the roll rate of the 190 so why not :)

This is hardly about the 190 A-5 alone. The 190 series is the only one that even matches/exceeds the Spit16 in roll-rate.  But most planes can out-roll an unclipped Spit at high speed. Maybe its not much, but its something.

You finally caught on to the fact that all I am asking for is that the best unperked Spit be the owner of one weakness? Thank you very much.

And yes, a clipped Vb would also be fine. It is also has a weakness, given that it would well and truly be slow.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 06:45:42 PM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #197 on: May 11, 2009, 06:44:22 PM »
Hell, it doesn't even have an edge over the IX. 

Hmmph...at least the 190 can extend. I state that my idea of "fair" is the bricks having ability to extend from the superior-dogfighting kites, and you'd think I'd run over someone's dog.

EDIT: Urchin...I ain't you...not even a little bit. Know that shot where they overshoot you, turn back but still cross right in front of your 'cause you're slower? I miss it. Miss it every %@W$^%#% single time. I could never claim to be able to beat 95% anything in a 190 A-5 or Jug, although I can give a good fight to a 51, 47, Typh, Kurt or other theoretically "superior" airplane a lot of times. Just not an INSANELY superior aircraft. :devil
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 07:07:21 PM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #198 on: May 11, 2009, 07:24:01 PM »

So we turn our XVI into a second VIII?  :rolleyes:

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #199 on: May 11, 2009, 07:31:59 PM »
So we turn our XVI into a second VIII?  :rolleyes:

Or, and I'm must floating an idea bubble here, we perk the XVI and leave the VIII free...not...that..hard.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #200 on: May 11, 2009, 07:35:53 PM »
Or, and I'm must floating an idea bubble here, we perk the XVI and leave the VIII free...not...that..hard.

Yes...it...is.

All jokes aside, how many points would you perk the XVI?

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #201 on: May 11, 2009, 08:34:34 PM »
HTC should have introduce the XII (344MPH SL) as a lightly perked Spitfire, which is about 9MPH faster then our current XVI. :aok

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #202 on: May 11, 2009, 09:12:59 PM »
HTC should have introduce the XII (344MPH SL) as a lightly perked Spitfire, which is about 9MPH faster then our current XVI. :aok

LOL yep, a February 43 bird perked in Latewar.  Makes perfect sense :)

Darn thing wasn't even around in 45 as it was retired from front line service in September 44.  Darn those Brits for having such uber birds too soon!
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #203 on: May 11, 2009, 09:15:40 PM »
What do you mean by "more of an edge"?  The 190A5 has no sort of edge at all over the Spixteen.  Hell, it doesn't even have an edge over the IX. 

That is the POINT.  You still have people that will voluntarily tie their hands behind their back and fly the planes that they "like" (for me it was the 190 as well) - but the game gets much older much faster when your chosen ride is double inferior to every plane you run into in addition to the perpetual gangs.  Before the La7 got popular the 190 series was actually a viable choice (well, before the La7 and before HTC nerfed the hell out of the 190 and the P51) - the Spit IX did everything better, but it was a bit slower on the deck so you could at least drag one away from the pack to fight.

You are apparently immune to burnout, bully for you.  BnZ is apparently going down the same path as me - I was more than good enough to kill 98% of the arena in a 190a5 1v1, but not quite good enough to take on 3 La7s and 4 random other planes at the same time in it.  I could roll a Spit and kill 4 or 5 of them if I could get quick kills... but I didn't want to fly a Spit.  At some point you just get tired of handicapping yourself, so you fly planes you don't enjoy flying, until you get sick of the hamster wheel and quit.  That is where I'm at now.  Since I don't see the gameplay ever changing, I imagine I'll keep coming back when HTC releases an update with a cool plane, play for a weekend and realize I still don't like it, and cancel again.

So it comes down to limiting gameplay for many to please a few?

Never in the field of cartoon flight sims have so many had to give up so much for so few!

When it's burnout time you step away from the keyboard.  There is no fixing the game when that happens, and we've all been there.  You get your perspective back, and enjoy it for what it is.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #204 on: May 11, 2009, 09:36:22 PM »

Never in the field of cartoon flight sims have so many had to give up so much for so few!

Plane choice is already limited. Perk planes are a fact of life. If you are against limiting player choice at all through the perk system, please come right out and say you are against the perk system. If you are not saying that, then it seems like my proposed limit is far from onerous...like I say, why do you feel it would be so onerous to not have a free a plane that turns great AND climbs great AND rolls great..and as far as speed goes outruns 41% of LW planes and 70% of the entire set?

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #205 on: May 11, 2009, 09:37:24 PM »
IMHO burnout happens when you are no longer challenged. Pick a non-uber bird and show them what cartoon pilot skill is all about. Keep the challenge and you'll keep the fun.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #206 on: May 11, 2009, 09:39:44 PM »

Darn thing wasn't even around in 45 as it was retired from front line service in September 44.  Darn those Brits for having such uber birds too soon!

Spitfires are just so imba! I'm just trying to entertain him Guppy. :D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 09:44:08 PM by Kazaa »

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #207 on: May 11, 2009, 09:45:18 PM »

What does not make sense is this obsession with dates and constantly bringing them up to obscure the matter of performance.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #208 on: May 11, 2009, 09:47:53 PM »
All jokes aside, how many points would you perk the XVI?

5 seems good.

Just enough to drives its stats up there.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #209 on: May 11, 2009, 10:22:57 PM »
The XVI isn't worth 5 perks. 2 at most.  I'd put it at 1 to start with.
Why limit it when you can equalize.  Give each fighter family non or cheap perk late war variant for some parity.  They won't be exactly equal, but it'll be better than what we have now.  That's the point of the game isn't it?  Letting the players decide the gameplay, not the game's parameters ?  
The P47M, 51H or late 150 octane 51D, Spit XII and 21lbs-XVI and 24lbs-XIV (prolly wrong but you get the idea) and XXI, a 190A-9 and the D9 at 2+ ata that did 400 on the deck, an uncorked Mossie, etc.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you