Author Topic: F4U A1 Fuel  (Read 851 times)

Offline stickpig

• Nickel Member
F4U A1 Fuel
« on: May 10, 2009, 01:52:14 AM »
Don't know if posted before, but in an F4A1 the fuel on the gague is always 25% higher than what you select in the hanger
Theyll only give you one chance, Better get it right first time. And the game youre playing
If you lose you gotta pay, If you make just one wrong move Youll get blown away
Expect no mercy  <Nazareth>

"Stay in the manned ack... When your in a plane you are a danger to the ground"  <Norad>

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: F4U A1 Fuel
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 02:05:58 AM »
Multiple tanks. Wing tanks are also filled.

The difference is you're seeing the fuel meter readout for just the tank selected. There should be a red marker indicating "total fuel percentage" and the white needle is "this tank percentage".

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 01:11:47 PM »
As Krusty said. The F4U-1 and 1A has an extra fuel tank in each wing. IMO this is actually a big advantage over the other F4Us and justifies the extra weight for a couple reasons:

1) Greater endurance without having to take drop tanks. Big deal compared to the other Hogs because you lose a few mph since the pylon isn't permanently fixed as it is in the C/D and 4.

2) Fuel reserve fuel. If your main tank is holed you can get a good sector or more depending on your power settings on the wing tanks.

3) Balance. Burn the Left Wing to 1/4 and the Right to 1/2 (or 1/8 and 1/4, respectively). This helps balance the aircraft against torque and can stabilize her a bit in an accelerated stall.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 02:36:19 AM »
I definitely agree on the range as the best benefit issue. If the F4u4 had wing tanks it'd be the perfect ultimate plane of all time. As-is I say it falls short of this mark because it has no legs to stand on (short short range)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 07:33:30 AM »
I definitely agree on the range as the best benefit issue. If the F4u4 had wing tanks it'd be the perfect ultimate plane of all time. As-is I say it falls short of this mark because it has no legs to stand on (short short range)

The F4U-4's performance isn't hurt as badly by the drop tanks as the 1D and Charlie are, so range in the -4 isn't really the issue. What really hurts the -4 is you're screwed once your tank takes a hit, and it seems like that's ALWAYS the first thing to go when I'm hit in the -4....
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 09:28:14 AM »
although strangely ive taken fuel tank hits in the -4, damage list shows it as damaged, fuel is streaming out, but E6B shows im not losing fuel at all :confused:

edit: film http://www.lumbergh.aquiss.com/ah/ah_films/4hog_4k_fuel_hit.ahf
compare this to a main fuel hit in a Jug - its tank drains in like 2mins ...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 10:05:43 AM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline stickpig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 09:37:48 PM »
I think I may have made a mistake on plane type.
The F4U1 is the one thats in the MW plane set not the A1

I stand corrected
Theyll only give you one chance, Better get it right first time. And the game youre playing

"Stay in the manned ack... When your in a plane you are a danger to the ground"  <Norad>

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 09:56:49 PM »
Same difference. The F4U-1 has the same fuel tank arrangement as the 1A. And I recommend the same fuel burn strategy: Left wing to 1/4 and Right to 1/2, (1/8 and 1/4 works in the MAs) then burn the main tank once you have her balanced.

Offline stickpig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 09:54:41 AM »
Ok if I load 50% fuel in hanger I get 75% on the gage. Shift f does not bring up wing tanks.

So 50 % fuel selection gives me 75%?

If I load 75% fuel in hanger I get 100% on main the I have the 2 wing tanks mentioned.

So why is 50 % fuel putting 75% on the main gage and no wing tanks?

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 05:08:26 PM »
Look closer.  See the little RED dot on the fuel gauge?  That is your total fuel.  The white needle signifies how much fuel is in the tank you have, (or the game), selected.

Therefore, your MAIN TANK is 75% full.  Your TOTAL FUEL is 50%.

75% TOTAL FUEL gives you 100%, full MAIN TANK and 25% LW and RW TANKS.

In planes with multiple fuel tanks the total fuel load is signified by the red dot.  The white arrow tell you when to switch tanks as they run die.  Otherwise, how would you know when to switch?

Think of a pickup truck with saddle tanks.  Switch tanks and the gas gauge tells you how much gas is in that particular tank, not how much gas you have total. 

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline stickpig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 01:25:30 PM »
Never noticed the red dot. So at 50% I see the dot at that mark. The other 25% is in the wing but you have no control which wing empties first untill you go 75% or greater.

Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Don't see a white arrow though.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 04:49:21 PM »
Never noticed the red dot. So at 50% I see the dot at that mark. The other 25% is in the wing but you have no control which wing empties first untill you go 75% or greater.

Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Don't see a white arrow though.

The white needle?  Sorry, terminology.

If you're bored flying a multi-tank plane and watch the fuel gauge, it will switch between tanks on auto-select and the needle will change based on how much fuel is in the particular tank that is being used at the time.

You can control fuel tank feed with Shift + F.  I think you know that.  It will cycle through the fuel tanks and burn whatever tank is indicated on the gauge in Yellow.  However, it will burn that tank only and not switch automatically when it is empty.  You will know it is empty when the engine dies.  Shift + F to switch again.

You know manual select is on because the tanks are indicated on the gauge in yellow font instead of white.  White font indicated auto-tank select.

Some people will switch to manual on climb out to burn down a particular tank first to aid in combat maneuverability later and switch back to auto when nearing engagement.

One last thing.  I have noticed not all aircraft with multiple tanks have the red dot to indicate overall fuel capacity.  Yaks, I think.  Maybe Hurricanes too.  Just when you look and think you are almost out of gas, the new tank starts to feed and you have half a tank again.  The E6-B is handy for this.  Check how much flying time/range you have left if in doubt.

wrongway

71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."

Offline stickpig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 11:06:02 AM »
Thanks for the help.

I understand all you have posted, But when you load up 50% you cannot bring up the wing tanks to burn those off first. Only tank selection in "Main".

Guess that was what was confusing.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 03:00:05 PM »
Thanks for the help.

I understand all you have posted, But when you load up 50% you cannot bring up the wing tanks to burn those off first. Only tank selection in "Main".

Guess that was what was confusing.

With 50% TOTAL fuel in the F4U-1A you have 75% of the MAIN tank full and 0% in the WING tanks.

Yes, it is confusing.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 08:23:48 PM »
When first added the F4U-1A loaded the same percentage in all tanks. IE, 50% fuel loaded 50% in all tanks. This was changed by HTC after some complaints so the aircraft now fills the main tank first before adding fuel to the wings. So yeah, if you take less than 75% you won't get anything in the wings. This is why I recommend not taking less than 75% unless you're upping for a very short flight (IE, base defense). You need at least that much to take advantage of having the reserve tanks (every time I take up a Corsair without the wing tanks I almost always end up missing them....)