Author Topic: Convergence ?  (Read 569 times)

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
Convergence ?
« on: May 12, 2009, 12:59:54 AM »
OK, if I set my convergence at say 300yds, shouldn't the piper be zeroed at 300yds because of the lift in the convergence? 
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Re: Convergence ?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 03:14:56 AM »
These explain it well:
http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/convergence2/convergence2.htm

Setting your gun's convergence to range X adjusts two important angles on the guns. It adjusts a horizontal angle so the bullets will cross at range X and adjusts the vertical angle (range) so the bullet will be at the same level as the aim point at range X. This is important because, depending on the ballistics of the weapon you are using, shooting at targets significantly closer or farther away than your convergence setting could be missed because of the compensations made. See the examples below.
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 10:01:57 AM »
Yes, and try a .target xxx (x=range) offline.  It's a very educational tool.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 09:42:36 PM »
Yes, and try a .target xxx (x=range) offline.  It's a very educational tool.

Yea that is a great tool thank you for posting. Also offline play is there for a reason, get a plane up and try to shoot down as many planes as you can.

If you are wonding about Nose Mounted guns i usually fly with them out at 400-500 so i will be able to nab them out at far ranges and wont shoot over them at close distances.
Strokes

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 01:11:37 AM »
Convergence.

Ever notice how some guys just can't seem to get close. And sometimes you see some dude shooting from like 1k away?
Then theres the guy that appears 200 yds on your 6 and BANG! The distance the guys shows up on your 6 is usually a a measure of his flying skill/time in game. The more you learn and fly the closer you will get to the bad guys.

If you can only get into 400 yds for a shot then 300 might not be the correct setting. I'd suggest you set your convergence to
a distance you can reliably saddle up on the bad guy. Fly to that and shoot him.

Be careful of very close shots. If the bandit is inside of 100 yds and you are in plane, behind him and you blow him up then in all likelyhood, you will be damaged by his debris. Try and take those shots as you begin to fly out of plane with him.

Hope this helps.

Ren
Aces High Training Corps

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 01:48:47 AM »
OK, if I set my convergence at say 300yds, shouldn't the piper be zeroed at 300yds because of the lift in the convergence? 

I usually set my convergence at 275 or 250, What I was wanting to know is if I set my convergence at 300,400,or 600 any distance, will the center of my cross hair be set at the distance I have my convergence set at?
Example: if I have my convergence set at 250yds, when I center my target in my cross hairs will it hit the target at 250yrs or will I have to shoot Hi to allow for the drop, or by setting the Convergence  at 250yds it will shoot center mass.
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 02:09:38 AM »
With my understanding, your gunsight does not move at all. However, I'm not completely sure.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 02:18:41 AM »
Your right, the gunsight doesn't move.  The sight was put on a target at a given distance (say, 300 yds) by lifting the tail of the plane and pointing the plane so the sight was on the target.  Then the guns were individually adjusted so they each hit the target.

So, in answer to cajunns question- yes, if you set your convergence to 275, your guns are "sighted-in at 275 yds.  You should not need to aim high to hit a target at that range (unless you're firing at more than 1x the force of gravity...).  You'll shoot low at 600yds...

If you adjust so your convergence is set at 600, your guns are sighted in at 600.  You won't shoot low at 600yds... 

Easy to test too.  Go to the hanger and set your convergence, and use the   .target xxx   command, while you're in the air.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 02:48:07 AM »
.target xxx puts a bullseye up (2 dimensional) NORTH of your position at xxx yards. Take off and fly north on auto pilot. To turn off, set .target 0 <enter>.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 12:01:06 PM »
If you adjust so your convergence is set at 600, your guns are sighted in at 600.  You won't shoot low at 600yds... 

Yup, that's why I kept missing close-in (around 250-300) shots until I remembered that I had convergence at 600 for de-acking and GV strafing.  I had forgotten to put my sights underneath the guy 300 in front of me and my guns kept missing high.  DOH!
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 03:13:15 PM »
Thank You, that is what I was wondering, and I will try the .target command have used it the past. :salute