Author Topic: Why so few people?  (Read 5910 times)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Re: Why so few people?
« Reply #105 on: May 19, 2009, 12:29:35 PM »
To the best of my knowledge I'm not picking on any person or squad. We all have our moments good and bad. What I'm trying to articulate is the effect of "conduct" on game play. Not posturing or stuff on text but actual in game interaction. Using the scenario above I was a "perfect" foil for cobia and elfy. I'm not going to automatically haul out a hurricane and start a vertical HO war or up a 190 or tiffie from another base to "hunt them down". I'd have gladly continued to roll a 38 or similiar bird, I was just looking for some semblance of fair play...gee if you guys are at 8k why not let me climb up from the field to 4k before you attack?

So when they didn't chose a reasonable course of action I went elsewhere and left em whining. In the AvA people just leave. The issue is simple, if you don't nurture the fight you won't have one. Go back to Midway, the fight was right over the atoll and the team with the lesser plane set was out numbered and fighting literally in their own ack at times. Thats an observation of fact, not an attack on any one person or squad. The logs show 3 interactions with Larry in that time frame in a zeke. Thats not an attack, it is simply a factual observation that at that time in that place these were the circumstances.

No question Larry is a good stick and I'm sure some of the others are as well. when I started in AW the simple truth is that the really good sticks couldn't afford to smack the new guys around without any regard for their feelings. No baby seals meant no baby seal clubbing, you needed to keep em interested a bit. "Training" wasn't offered with the intent you helped the other guy get good, it was so he didn't get so frustrated he quit. If you want to grow the arena you need to nurture the people who show up... just that simple.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #106 on: May 19, 2009, 01:32:39 PM »
Well guess what... when that certain group isn't in there, no one else is either. Catch 22, take it or leave it but stop whining.

"osceola"?

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #107 on: May 19, 2009, 01:46:37 PM »
"osceola"?

ummm no, he doesn't post on the AH BBS.

Offline antivortex

• Copper Member
« Reply #108 on: May 19, 2009, 05:12:16 PM »
Here's a hint, I'm a political organizer for the Democtratic party feverishly working to take more seats for both the Senate and Congress while the Republicans are asleep at the wheel. If we can cement a definative lead we will ensure President Obama has the support he needs from his party, we all know he has the support of the American people already.
See Rule #4

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #109 on: May 19, 2009, 05:25:09 PM »
It's a shame what Storch has become, it's kinda like Gollum.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #110 on: May 19, 2009, 05:25:48 PM »
Here's a hint, I'm a political organizer for the Democtratic party feverishly working to take more seats for both the Senate and Congress while the Republicans are asleep at the wheel. If we can cement a definative lead we will ensure President Obama has the support he needs from his party, we all know he has the support of the American people already.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
« Reply #111 on: May 19, 2009, 06:04:29 PM »
Hey Humble,

I get what you're saying.  And I feel the same way. 

You're at the root of the problem. 

But, again, I have no solutions to offer. 
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #112 on: May 19, 2009, 06:49:31 PM »
Hey Humble,

I get what you're saying.  And I feel the same way. 

You're at the root of the problem. 

But, again, I have no solutions to offer. 

There is no solution possible as long as the outcome is more important then the contest. What drove "the code" was an underlying appreciation of air combat. While winning was important, the overall artistry of the fight was important. It was common for guys to try "pilot stuff" and a lot of commentary and comraderie came from the AAR on text....you got a lot of "I saw this and was thinking.... followed by "I saw that and was wondering, so I did....". To be honest I only really get that anymore when I'm "dueling" Bat or some of the other old hands any more.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
« Reply #113 on: May 19, 2009, 07:42:58 PM »
ok so lets play this in a nutshell:

1. everyone hates JG54
2. nobody flies AVA because of JG54
3. JG54's smacktalk drives away everyone from the AVA
4. JG54's conduct drives people away
5. Larry's posts keep people out of the AVA
6. JG54 has no right to post on the BBS because everyone hates them and the posts drive everyone out of the AVA
7. limited planesets drive people away
8. smacktalk on 200 drive people away
9. its my $14.95, ill do what i want! if i want to dive in on a 1V1 i will!-- drives people away
10. not enough players in the arena drives people away
11. the mainstay players of the AVA are delusional by thinking theres nothing wrong with the AVA
12. the mainstay players of the AVA have a need to individually stamp approval of the AVA and that drives players away
13. the AVA is not for skill-less tards so it drives people away. they cant fly the way they want to.
14. nobody responds to you when you do come in. feels like a clique, so that drives players away
15. nothing functionally has changed and that drives people away
16. reading the posts in the AVA forum drives people away
17. read the posts in the AVA and you instantly know where the problem is and that drives people away
18. XXXXXX knows more of whats wrong with the AVA then anyone that flies it, but wont give the answer and that drives people away
19. the name of the AVA drives people away
20. the axis always has the Advantage and that drives people away
21. the people saying theres nothing wrong with the AVA "are" the problem with the AVA and that drives people away
22. Larry posting in the AVA forum is what drives people away (yes thats twice)
23. Larry is a 22 year old kid and that drives people out of the AVA
24. Oldman defending larry keeps people out of the AVA
25. the mindset of the people that pay to play this game is driving people out of the AVA
26. Larry had done more to run people off out of the AVA then anyone and thats driving people out of the AVA
27. Everyone is in GV's and that drives people away from the AVA
28. higher than thou attitudes that a certain group in the AvA has that runs players off and that drives people out of the AVA
29. when that certain group isn't in there, no one else is either and thats driving people out of the AVA

hows that?? pretty close??

You forgot 30: AvA is JG 54's Sandbox. Don't like it? Leave!

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
« Reply #114 on: May 19, 2009, 07:48:22 PM »
Well, if this game made any sense, the AvA and MA would be switched around.

What I mean, is that the AvA would be the 400 players a night swirling crazy combat-fest the MA is now, and the MA would be where folks got together and fought an elite few in a more fairplay/dueling/good fight atmosphere.

Think about it.  People log on, go to LW MA, and then spend the rest of the night doing whatever it is they do for whatever reason they do it.  It has no structure.

What makes more sense is for folks to log onto the AvA, where there are clearly defined (historical?) sides, and there is at least a goal to strive for.  You have some sort of victory conditions that could be as simple as winning a map, but could just as easily have some sort of historical context.  The fights should be inherently better because the planesets are balanced to some degree.  You can have your squad and fly together in your squad plane of choice, and fight other like-minded individuals doing the same thing- but in a historically correct matchup.

The MA is where you go to furball with your friends in whatever planes give you the best "fight".

But that's not it.  Instead everyone wants to fly their quake arena, while a handful of people duke it out in the historical portion of the sim; except they fly the historical AvA arena like a dueling Quake arena.

Just my opinion, and since I don't have an account, my opinion is probably worth even less than the typical whiner.  

But, AvA is actually what I'm looking for.  Not MA Quake.  I'd have been quite happy with the MA mentality in the AvA to be perfectly honest with you.  It's the popularity of the hamster wheel of the MA that I just couldn't figure out.
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #115 on: May 19, 2009, 07:49:39 PM »
What drove "the code" was an underlying appreciation of air combat. While winning was important, the overall artistry of the fight was important.

And there you have it.  Fortunately, there is no War Win, at least, in AvA; and that's probably why "the code" still exists here in some people's minds.  It's something that may be worth preserving.

That said, THERE IS NO CODE IN THE AvA.  People might tell you otherwise, you might think they have a point - or not - but you are free to do as you wish.

- oldman

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #116 on: May 19, 2009, 08:03:51 PM »
Personally, I threw the code out when I realized what other people were saying. Kinda like a Lightbulb went off. Which was a few months ago, also finally seeing what dawger is really saying is starting to make sense to me. I cant really put out what Im trying to say at the moment but when it does I'll post again.

Fud
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #117 on: May 19, 2009, 08:19:02 PM »
It's a shame what Storch has become, it's kinda like Gollum.

once and for all, storch no longer come in here. he is gone, banned for life. anything he see's from in here, ive copied and pasted to the jg54 forum. he still comes to the jg54 forum. if you'd like to chat with him, go sign up and say hi!

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2009, 08:46:15 PM »
Why so few people?

Seems like too many people remember bad blood from the past, and come back only to look for confirmation they should stay away rather than looking to have a good time.

I have a friend who does this with cars.  Had a bad experience with a Ford once.  Any time he decides he wants a car, he first goes to a Ford dealer.  Kid you not.  Test drives one or several, specifically so he can find something he doesn't like about it.  Then he goes elsewhere to buy something else.  After making his choice, he can keep talking about how much better his chosen car is than any Ford.

Who knows . . . If he had an open mind, and could let bygones be bygones, he might actually find a Ford he would like. 

But he doesn't, so we know he won't.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #119 on: May 19, 2009, 09:14:47 PM »
once and for all, storch no longer come in here. he is gone, banned for life. anything he see's from in here, ive copied and pasted to the jg54 forum. he still comes to the jg54 forum. if you'd like to chat with him, go sign up and say hi!

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane