Author Topic: What we need are some What If planes  (Read 10108 times)

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Re: What we need are some What If planes
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2009, 06:06:06 PM »
Boulton Paul Defiant :rofl :aok

The Yak 3 and the Tu 2 are late war aircraft by the way.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2009, 06:13:45 PM »
I don't agree I would say it would be the DAP MK-21 Beaufighter first as I would think the Beaufighter will see the light of day sooner or later. Granted it is not a true 100% Australian design but if the English versions are to be added it would only make sense to add the most powerful variant to the stable of Beaufighters.

After that the Boomerang & Wirraway would be the only Australian designs that were used in combat to the best of my Knowledge.

Last time I checked the Beufighter was a British aircraft. An Australian produced variant, - fine. But it is no more Australian than the Lancaster and even the Hurricane is Canadian...
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2009, 06:23:22 PM »
Last time I checked the Beufighter was a British aircraft. An Australian produced variant, - fine. But it is no more Australian than the Lancaster and even the Hurricane is Canadian...
OK an Australian designed variant then to be more specific as there were things on the DAP MK-21 Beau that never were designed nor added by the British to their fleet.

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2009, 07:36:07 AM »
OK an Australian designed variant then to be more specific as there were things on the DAP MK-21 Beau that never were designed nor added by the British to their fleet.

Lyric, I think what we're after is something conceived and designed and built in the country of origin. No matter how you look at it, the beaufighter, even a  variant for SWP conditions is still essentially a British aeroplane. And the Beau X is pretty "similar" to the 21, to be sure there are differences, but none that the average player would notice.

So, like the IAR-80, I think the Boomerang, would be more likely to fit this bill.
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2009, 07:20:12 AM »
Lyric, I think what we're after is something conceived and designed and built in the country of origin. No matter how you look at it, the beaufighter, even a  variant for SWP conditions is still essentially a British aeroplane. And the Beau X is pretty "similar" to the 21, to be sure there are differences, but none that the average player would notice.

So, like the IAR-80, I think the Boomerang, would be more likely to fit this bill.
Well if we are going with a 100% design & build then the Boomerang would be the obvious choice.

Offline frosty

• Copper Member
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2009, 02:00:55 PM »
Well if we are going with a 100% design & build then the Boomerang would be the obvious choice.

That thing would be lunchmeat in the MA for all but the best sticks (far beyond me), but I'd fly it once in a while for the novelty alone.  Plus it just looks cool.  Has it ever been modeled in any sim?

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2009, 02:28:27 PM »
That thing would be lunchmeat in the MA for all but the best sticks (far beyond me), but I'd fly it once in a while for the novelty alone.  Plus it just looks cool.  Has it ever been modeled in any sim?
Very few aircraft left ot be added would not be at a significant disadvantage in the MA, thus that criteria is obsolete.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline frosty

• Copper Member
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2009, 02:34:14 PM »
Very few aircraft left ot be added would not be at a significant disadvantage in the MA, thus that criteria is obsolete.

Makes sense.  I guess the P-39 addition sort of illustrated that. 

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2009, 07:20:07 PM »

Oh, there are still a lot. Do 217, Ju 188, He 177 (German Iron fans still have only a slow vulnerable EW bomber for LW MA action), Beaufighter, Aichi B7A, Whirlwind, Yak-3, Re 2005...
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2009, 08:14:41 PM »
Oh, there are still a lot. Do 217, Ju 188, He 177 (German Iron fans still have only a slow vulnerable EW bomber for LW MA action), Beaufighter, Aichi B7A, Whirlwind, Yak-3, Re 2005...

Here's one a list...not accounting variants of existing planes.

A-26
B-29A
Beaufighter Mk.X
B7A2
Firefly Mk.1
G.55
H8K2
He-162A
He-177A
J2M3
Ju-188A-5
Ki-102b
Me410B
Meteor III
PB2Y-5
P-61A
P-63
Re.2005
Tu-2
Yak-3

...I I'd rather see some more common aircraft first however. :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 08:17:41 PM by Wmaker »
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2009, 09:27:41 PM »
Wmaker,

I'd add the Ki-44-IIb to that list as well.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2009, 11:06:09 AM »
And...

Ki-100
Pe-2
He 219
Ju 388 (it's a stretch, but it would be very cool)
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2009, 11:56:47 AM »

Even the Aussies wouldnt fly it. Just like they wouldnt have in real life had they something better. Didnt they replace them with P-40s or wildcats ?

Now the Beaufighter? I think that would be competative as a strike air craft. Plus its so cool looking.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2009, 03:48:12 PM »
Wmaker,

I'd add the Ki-44-IIb to that list as well.

Agreed,

I did think about it, left it out for some reason. But yes, that fits in there.

And...

Ki-100
Pe-2
He 219

- Ki-100 would be very similar in performance compared to the KI-61 that we have, and is essentially a variant of the Ki-61.

- Pe-2 is a very important bomber for special events, but I doubt it would be seen much more in the MAs than Boston III because of it's relatively small bombload and poor defensive armament. The only thing it does that the Boston doesn't do very well is dive bomb which can (some what unfortunately) be done better in many fighters carrying 2000lbs of bombs.

- He-219 could see some use but as it probably won't be very maneuverable (rather high wing loading) and doesn't have any air to ground ordinance like the Bf 110, I doubt it could approach the usage of the Bf 110 after the novelty wears off.

- Ju-388 flew reconnaissance missions over England in the last months of the war but AFAIK didn't drop any bombs in anger. Not much is known of the couple night fighter versions that were given for operational trials. Like you said, a bit of a strech. Very cool looking aircraft at any rate.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2009, 04:07:20 PM »
And...

Ki-100
Pe-2
He 219

Why would you want a night fighter?