Author Topic: Divebombing & shooting rockets in P38  (Read 1181 times)

Offline HellFire

• Copper Member
Divebombing & shooting rockets in P38
« on: May 15, 2009, 04:10:17 AM »
Would some1 familiar with p38s advise as to proper procedures in divebombing, the steps to take, commands to give, to arm & release bombs either singley or in pairs, dive angles, flap usage etc.  Gunsight, where to aim & how.

Rocketry: how & where to aim, commands to give & execute, all particulars to hit various targets, angles of attack.   Drop tanks, how to drop & how to use.

P38 Training films and Combat films are encouraged, as a picture speaks a 1000
words.   Thx for ur assistance   :salute
"In life there is certain death, and between life and death
  there is a journey, hence in truth nothing is lost in death."

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
Re: Divebombing & shooting rockets in P38
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 06:42:55 AM »
This is the sight I use for any ord I carry.If you're on tonight look me up and I'll wing with you and jabo until we get it right. I'll be in the blue arena at around 7 central time.I do have films but most aren't named and it'll take awhile to go through all 400 +. :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 03:12:04 PM »
Try this-

http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/divebomb/divebomb.htm

Different airplane, exact same concepts...
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 03:35:02 PM »
Would some1 familiar with p38s advise as to proper procedures in divebombing, the steps to take, commands to give, to arm & release bombs either singley or in pairs, dive angles, flap usage etc.  Gunsight, where to aim & how.

Rocketry: how & where to aim, commands to give & execute, all particulars to hit various targets, angles of attack.   Drop tanks, how to drop & how to use.

P38 Training films and Combat films are encouraged, as a picture speaks a 1000
words.   Thx for ur assistance   :salute

You may also want to visit the training arena.  As I remember the way the AH software is delivered the “\” backslash key is the default key to rotate through your secondary weapons,   Bombs and Rockets are secondary weapons in the P38.  you hit the backslash key and you will see the secondary weapons listed in place of the Cannon in the P38.  The Cannon is considered a secondary weapon  Most players alter the key assignments to buttons on their joystick.  I can rotate through all my weapons and fire any weapon without touching the keyboard.  You can use the training arena to learn the best aim point for the way you fly your attack.  Speed and angel have a lot to do with how successful your attack run will be.  I use anything from a 45 to 65 degree angle for both rocket and bombing runs.

Check out the 113th Lucky Strikes.  They fly P38's in the attack role check out their web site www.113thluckystrikes.com the films section.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 03:57:57 PM by Traveler »
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 04:22:53 PM »
Simple explanation... using the site Uptown posted above, you fire the rockets when the target is below to the center pipper about where the two circles on the ladder that look like little boobs, bombs are farther down the "ladder" on the bigger boobs. Dive angle is about 45 degrees give or take 10 degrees. The more shallow the approach, the lower in the site the target has to be.

In the 38, anything over 5k in alt chop throttle before you nose over, if you don't the compression comes into play, the higher you are the quicker it comes in. I like to come into the target and by rolling the plane to one side or the other at a 45 degree angle, I'll line up the target on my wing tip. Then I can chop throttle, roll over and dive in adjust, and relase, level and hammer the throttle and climb back up.

The most important thing is practice. Go to the TA and turn on the lead computing site to get a good idea of the angles and placement in the site.

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 08:11:32 PM »
What I have learned in dive bombing is: two things effect the placement of the drop, airspeed and angle of approach, it's just something that you have to get in the offline arena and drop on the drone tanks to learn. After awhile you start realizing a pattern to the placement, example: faster your airspeed further in front of you is the release point. Best way to do it is a vertical drop from straight above the target, but you have to make sure your descent is straight down and directly over the target. And as MtnMan mentioned once you learn it in one plane the concept is the same for others that drop bombs. Rockets take a little longer because there are several different size and types of rockets and in the P-38 I have found that the rockets or pretty straight flying with less drop then other rockets for some reason. But practice is the best way to get good at it.

Cajunn   
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.â€

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 09:41:03 PM »
I just climb to 3,500 ft when bombing gv's and come in on a 45 degree angle releasing my bombs at 1,200 feet above target, I keep my gunsight just a tad in front of them.  For rockets All you can do is practice. Good Luck

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 01:51:10 AM »
For me old habits never die. We used to use CCIP for Jabo. Not available here. Also, be glad you don't frag yerself here. CCIP is continous computed impact point. It was an upside down staple that moved up the centerline of thepipper on the hud. It would auto pickle the egg. If you got too low you'd see a big X that told you if you pickled manually you'd frag yourself. If I rememebr rightly you'd get the X around 3k alt.

Anyway, as Mtnmn said, angle is everthing as is consistancy. Begin at 8k-9k alt. Use flaps if you wish. If you come in at the same angle every time you can gain consistancy that will allow you to hit the target every time. A good approach angle is approx 60 degrees. It's easy to determine by looking straight ahead and rolling your wings to 60 degrees. A secret to the correct approach path is to always take the 60 roll in from a point on your plane. We used to come abeam until we had the jets intake aligned with the target then rolled her over. You can do the same thing by using your planes wing leading edge. Roll to 60 degrees and look in that direction, when you come abeam of your wings leading edge, roll over, chop throttle and pull to the target. Roll upright. You have just established yourself on a 60 degree dive. Use the ground impact point targeting in the TA. The + shows the bomb impact point. Determine what your sight picture looks like on your hud when you pickle the egg. Check your alt. You will find you can pull off
at 3k or more and still hit the target. No ack or flaks to hit you.

And, it's repeatible. Every time.

Hope this helps

Ren

Offline Bark0

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 02:36:10 PM »
Have no Fear the master of the light bomber is here!
 :aok

GUNSIGHT

My #1 Choice for A Dive Bombing gunsight is this:

It's Called the P-38 Gunstar. The Square down below the Sight is For Dive Bombing. The Crosses in the Corners are for Rockets and the Sight in the Middle is for your guns. This Is a great gunsight to use But I only reccomend Putting it on One P-38...The sight is Too Squished in for me to see planes in it...But Whatever you prefer.
(NOTE: You may have to Re-size the Sight for it to show in-game.)
_____________________________ ____________________ _____________________________ ______________
TO DIVE BOMB.

1)Hover around a Base and Look for a tank.

2)When Tank is spotted fly over him about 1.5 K until you are Above him.

3)Go Vertical.

4)Dive down on him at a 90 Degree angle. (NOTE depending on your angle use the Main Middle Sight For Aiming if you are 90 Degrees or The Bomb Sight if you are 80 or 60 or 45...etc)

5)Drop Bomb When He is in your Sight (Check above ^^^)

6)Pull up Sharply

7)Wait for 2 Explosions. 1 for the Bomb hitting the Ground and 2 for the Tank Exploding. Thumbs UP!

Watch Out For flacks too. Don't dive bomb a field if there are 3 flacks on the Pad or more. Only bomb when Flacks are on the field IF they are all gathered in the VH.

:)

Quote From Shifty:
There's more to AH than the LWA...There's far more early war hanger queens as you call them missing than there are late war cannon armed uber rides.[quote/]

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 03:56:55 PM »
Have no Fear the master of the light bomber is here!

:noid

Watch Out For flacks too. Don't dive bomb a field if there are 3 flacks on the Pad or more. Only bomb when Flacks are on the field IF they are all gathered in the VH.

Why?
Tours 86 - 296

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 04:00:27 PM »
:noid

Why?

that's right you haven't lived until you have dove into a swarm of 20 flaks or so!!!! :rofl
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.â€

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher

Offline Bark0

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 04:58:55 PM »
Why? Gee I dont know, Seeing 5 flacks gathered around 1 Tank 1.5K out and firing isn't Bad, No worries Just keep on your attack.

*sarcastic*

Quote From Shifty:
There's more to AH than the LWA...There's far more early war hanger queens as you call them missing than there are late war cannon armed uber rides.[quote/]

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 05:01:23 PM »
IF you know how to use tactics, and no how to bomb, flaks should not be an issue.

If you're attacking a field for hangars, ord, etc...flaks again should not be an issue...IF you know what you're doing.
Tours 86 - 296

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 03:59:49 PM »
Don't argue with Bark0, he's the master of masters in the Lightning.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 04:27:07 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot...
Tours 86 - 296