Author Topic: What the heck happened here?? (film)  (Read 1011 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
What the heck happened here?? (film)
« on: May 15, 2009, 11:55:48 PM »
http://www.nakatomitower.com/71sqn/109g14_explode.zip

End of FSO... Come in, oil all over, so I can't see runway too well and prang the landing, but I'm on the runway! While I'm waiting for a squaddie I hit the "fire" buttons a few times. The rounds land WAY out away from the fuselage of my fighter.

For some reason I still explode.

Either the bug is the plane blew up when it shouldn't have (like the long-lived 190a ditch bug), or the bug is somehow a single MG151/20 cannon round that landed a hundred yards away can kill a plane on the ground.

What the heck gives??

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
Re: What the heck happened here?? (film)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 03:57:13 AM »
This has been around for a while. If you sit on the runway in a damaged plane sooner or later you will explode.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 10:00:59 AM »
Only time I've seen this happen is FSO because that's when people like to sit on the runway.

Fwiw, they also need to fix the carrier tail-hook bug, the one where backing up with the tailhook down (to rearm) causes insta-death...also only an issue in FSO.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 12:28:48 PM »
Only time I've seen this happen is FSO because that's when people like to sit on the runway.

Fwiw, they also need to fix the carrier tail-hook bug, the one where backing up with the tailhook down (to rearm) causes insta-death...also only an issue in FSO.

I have experienced both of these situations in the Main Arenas, not just FSO.
Tours 86 - 296

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 05:30:50 PM »
Normally it only happens to 190A models (accompanies by rapid screen shaking as if the plane is over-stressed).

I've never had it happen in any plane other than a 190, unless said plane was on fire, or the pilot was bleeding out. As you can see the plane (what was left of it) was quite intact. No fires, no PWs, no nada.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 05:32:38 PM »
Perhaps this is intentional. The Fw 190 (well, more the BMW 801) was notorious for bursting into flames on crash landings, cooking the pilot.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 05:50:04 PM »
I doubt it. It only happens on the A models. It's a bug that may have been fixed on one of them (A8, I want to say??) but not the other.

DEFINITELY a bug. Nothing on damage list, and it rocks around like there's collision problems with the geometry of the plane vs the ground it's sitting on.

It's the first time I've seen it in a 109, though (without the geometry errors, mind you)

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 07:00:52 PM »
It's happened to me with the old F6F (not sure about new model) [talking about the exploding on runway].  Also I've had it happen with the D9 so it's not just limited to As.
Tours 86 - 296

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 10:03:54 AM »
Why would you bother to rearm on a cv in the main arena?  If the ords are down, the carrier is sunk.  That's what I mean when I say it's an FSO problem.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 12:31:32 PM »
Happens in the 152 as well.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 05:27:06 PM »
Why would you bother to rearm on a cv in the main arena?  If the ords are down, the carrier is sunk.  That's what I mean when I say it's an FSO problem.

Side comment: If my plane's undamaged and I want to get back to the fight, I hotpad on a CV (even in the MA).

Back to the issue at hand: I've ditched a 152 and not blown up before.... I wonder if it's a bug specific to the surface you are on, or the plane itself? I've sat in some planes upwards of 10 minutes before (waiting for delayed kills, etc, while safely on runway waiting to tower) and not blown up.

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 05:11:35 AM »
I was in an La5 tonight.  I landed gear down and came to a complete stop on the runway.  I had no damage, and I could move forward if I wanted to.  The plane was shaking as if I had belly'd it in and it was about to explode.  I sat there for 4-5 seconds before .ef safely to the tower.  Other landings that night were fine, except I landed too hard and kept breaking my gear. :)
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 05:15:45 AM »
i wonder if you were on fire from the crash landing but the flames are not being rendered. You know how when a burning plane sheds a wing the flames instantly go out? So what if you catch fire at the same time as losing a plane part in a crash landing? Perhaps this bug is related to invisible fires.  :confused:
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline dstrip2

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2009, 09:49:01 PM »
the tailhook bug has ruined many good hops for me, get an iffy trap landing a beat up 1/2 wing bird, hook catches.... and then wires act like rubberbands and sling you off back of cv.

the blowing up on the ground has happened to me, but only when ive had some sort of fuel leak or a rough ditch.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 10:26:08 PM »
i wonder if you were on fire from the crash landing but the flames are not being rendered. You know how when a burning plane sheds a wing the flames instantly go out? So what if you catch fire at the same time as losing a plane part in a crash landing? Perhaps this bug is related to invisible fires.  :confused:

The fuel tank in question is always listed on the damage screen. I was intact, though. I've thought the same thing myself in regards to the 190s when this has happened, but the shaking/vibrating tends to lead me to believe it's more related to a bug in the damage or perhaps the collision detection (the ground "kills" you??).