Author Topic: An Open Question to HTC-  (Read 3624 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: An Open Question to HTC-
« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2009, 09:49:36 AM »
With ut most respect possible for the work you guys do Id like to ask you a question. Why does it take so long to fix apparently simple bugs? (I realize that some arent so simple and its not so easy.) It seems to me fixing a gauge or damage bug shouldnt be too difficult. Or the things like the CoG issue with the mossi and Me-163's incorrect fuel burn rate?

First what many people post are bugs are not.
2nd what you may think is an easy fix may or may not be, it could be a simple change to a model, but it can also be a systemic problem in which case it can be a huge thing to fix.

3rd on every release we go threw every bug reported in the bug forum and address them. If they are a straight forward fix we address them.

If they are not a straight forward fix, but important we fix them.

Once we are finished with a release cycle, I.E. all patches released, many times we freeze the code because things become incompatable once major surgery begins, so it is almost impossible to do bug fixes until the new version is ready.

Your example with the 163 was not a simple fix, and 2 it really has very little impact on things. ( if my memory is correct, pyro and I did fix this one for the next release) The mossie falls under that same category of not a simple fix, and  in the overall sceam of game play , is not very important.

HiTech

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2009, 09:51:46 AM »
On the flip side M$ has a lot more code in windows and other software. Percentage wise they may be closer than you think. The last perfect man has not walked this earth in some time.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2009, 10:08:54 AM »
First what many people post are bugs are not.
2nd what you may think is an easy fix may or may not be, it could be a simple change to a model, but it can also be a systemic problem in which case it can be a huge thing to fix.

3rd on every release we go threw every bug reported in the bug forum and address them. If they are a straight forward fix we address them.

If they are not a straight forward fix, but important we fix them.

Once we are finished with a release cycle, I.E. all patches released, many times we freeze the code because things become incompatable once major surgery begins, so it is almost impossible to do bug fixes until the new version is ready.

Your example with the 163 was not a simple fix, and 2 it really has very little impact on things. ( if my memory is correct, pyro and I did fix this one for the next release) The mossie falls under that same category of not a simple fix, and  in the overall sceam of game play , is not very important.

HiTech

Thanks for the reply....

<S> Strip

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2009, 10:15:18 AM »
The last perfect man has not walked this earth in some time.
I walked this morning.....does that not count? :devil

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2009, 10:22:47 AM »
Give me lip but thank him for saying the same thing?  Good Job. 

Thanks for the reply....

<S> Strip
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline CountD90

• Nickel Member
« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2009, 11:53:56 AM »

Your example with the 163 was not a simple fix, and 2 it really has very little impact on things. ( if my memory is correct, pyro and I did fix this one for the next release)

HiTech

YES!!!!! ITS AN UPDATE FROM THE NEXT PATCH!!!!!!!!! :rock lol

On a serious note, keep up the great work HTC. Best game to play pretend luftweenie :lol
GameID:Count
The Misfit Toys
Quote from: Wreked
If you are feeling a little useless, offended, or depressed, just remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious little sperm out of millions.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #96 on: May 20, 2009, 02:38:44 PM »
SlapShot: I once hired a programmer who claimed to want to do optimization in assembler. I knew I was in trouble when I saw he was a slow 2 finger typer.

I once hired a color blind artist. He actually did good work.

HiTech

:rofl

Assembler ... you should have asked him to code it up on "coding sheets" first ... then if he asked "what are coding sheets ?" ... ya reach out and slap him.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Superfly

• Gold Member
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #97 on: May 20, 2009, 03:30:38 PM »
My 2 cents to HT's last reply:

Sometimes when you fix one thing, you end up breaking three other things, which can sometimes have a snowball effect.  It is a rare occurance, but this is just another example of how something that seems easy to fix, in reality, can turn out to be very difficult.

Sometimes you have to nuke all your previous days or months worth of work, because it was a dead end.   That really sucks when it happens!  Thankfully, such cases a rare, and you learn a lot from your mistakes.
John "Superfly" Guytan
Art Director
HiTech Creations, Inc.

"My brain just totally farted" - Hitech, during a company meeting

Offline 68Raptor

• Gold Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #98 on: May 20, 2009, 03:37:47 PM »
Sometimes you have to nuke all your previous days or months worth of work, because it was a dead end.   That really sucks when it happens!  Thankfully, such cases a rare, and you learn a lot from your mistakes.
Like not letting Sudz order carpaccio? That kind of learning  :devil
Executive Officer
68th Lighting Lancers

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #99 on: May 20, 2009, 04:57:08 PM »
<--- Loves carpaccio
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #100 on: May 20, 2009, 05:35:39 PM »
<--- Loves carpaccio

looks good, but I don't know if it is better than cannibal sandwiches

http://www.onmilwaukee.com/dining/articles/yumyuck.html

(bottom of the article, I can't find a better reference)

It is delicious, and only a few butchers in Milw will sell it to you. the beef has to be prepared a certain way, and the salt and pepper mixed in shortly before sale / use.

Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2009, 09:40:27 PM »
looks good, but I don't know if it is better than cannibal sandwiches

http://www.onmilwaukee.com/dining/articles/yumyuck.html

(bottom of the article, I can't find a better reference)

It is delicious, and only a few butchers in Milw will sell it to you. the beef has to be prepared a certain way, and the salt and pepper mixed in shortly before sale / use.

Has ecoli written all over it. I was in the meat business for 20 years...... that is highly dangerous.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
« Reply #102 on: May 21, 2009, 09:16:12 AM »
I just poked my head in. Good thread.  :rofl

Eitherway, best game by far Ive ever played.  :aok Im 41 so been around gaming since pong.
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #103 on: May 21, 2009, 10:21:45 AM »
My 2 cents to HT's last reply:

Sometimes when you fix one thing, you end up breaking three other things, which can sometimes have a snowball effect.  It is a rare occurance, but this is just another example of how something that seems easy to fix, in reality, can turn out to be very difficult.

He used the "n" word - the B-29 is on it's way!