Author Topic: Landing Specifics  (Read 622 times)

Offline Project N25

• Zinc Member
Landing Specifics
« on: May 21, 2009, 07:13:09 PM »
I used to suck at landing so badly that I always broke the engine. Now i just take landing so wildly that it's a matter of when I will break something. I've tried to land properly, but I couldn't nail the speed and when to flap down right. My current tactic is to power down to 30 or 20 MP, full RPM, and then go into a semi-steep landing dive with full flaps. I also still suck at carrier landings, as I can never quite seem to nail the wires, weather not landing over them, or landing and bouncing right off the darn deck.

One last thing: how do I get the P-47N off the deck of a CV, when it's too darn heavy to takeoff? I'd love to be able to takeoff with a full load rather then dumping two rockets and 700rounds from both guns, and taking off after backing to the rear.
LUCKY STAR KONATA-CHAN KAWII!
You can tell I'm nuts because I know the entire song off by heart, and I keep overspeeding in my B-25H, so my elevators keep ripping off. Flying into a Cruiser at 402mph is no fun at all. *cry*

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
Re: Landing Specifics
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 07:20:20 PM »
My current tactic is to power down to 30 or 20 MP, full RPM, and then go into a semi-steep landing dive with full flaps.

Yikes!

You need to keep the nose up and use the throttle.  With your nose up, throttling back will reduce your forward speed and thusly increase your rate of descent.  Then, if you want to you can drop flaps when you get slow enough.  Dropping flaps allows you to continue to keep the nose up (and fly) while you descend, even though your forward speed is getting slower and slower.

Find me in game sometime, more then happy to let you ride along for a landing to see how it is supposed to work.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Project N25

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 07:28:12 PM »
Yikes!

You need to keep the nose up and use the throttle.  With your nose up, throttling back will reduce your forward speed and thusly increase your rate of descent.  Then, if you want to you can drop flaps when you get slow enough.  Dropping flaps allows you to continue to keep the nose up (and fly) while you descend, even though your forward speed is getting slower and slower.

Find me in game sometime, more then happy to let you ride along for a landing to see how it is supposed to work.

Broke, so no sub >.<

(oh god no its infected here too? the text box is jumping up to the top every time I type! (so I can't proofread anything below the 'Broke, no sub >.<')

Oh I'm slow eough alright. I usually cruse in from long range to give the speed time to average out at about 120ish. I tried a regular landing from 20k in the RV8 but ended up killing ymself in a compressed dive xD

One more thing- I can never seem to taxi straight. As soon as I think I got the rudder positioned right, the plane starts swerving in the other drirection. I've hit many a wall trying in vain to counter-counter a 32mph taxi (yeah I'm impaitent) Landing in the Arado 234 is a pain, although it's the *only* one I can do semi-properly. (I still RPM dwn to 4 or 5 to cruise out, then I tend to do anywhere from a 160-220mph landing. Sometimes, if I took out w/o RATO help I'll hit it down to 2 or 3 and use the RATOs if I get in a bind.)
LUCKY STAR KONATA-CHAN KAWII!
You can tell I'm nuts because I know the entire song off by heart, and I keep overspeeding in my B-25H, so my elevators keep ripping off. Flying into a Cruiser at 402mph is no fun at all. *cry*

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 07:31:44 PM »
Broke, so no sub >.<

(oh god no its infected here too? the text box is jumping up to the top every time I type! (so I can't proofread anything below the 'Broke, no sub >.<')

Oh I'm slow eough alright. I usually cruse in from long range to give the speed time to average out at about 120ish. I tried a regular landing from 20k in the RV8 but ended up killing ymself in a compressed dive xD

One more thing- I can never seem to taxi straight. As soon as I think I got the rudder positioned right, the plane starts swerving in the other drirection. I've hit many a wall trying in vain to counter-counter a 32mph taxi (yeah I'm impaitent) Landing in the Arado 234 is a pain, although it's the *only* one I can do semi-properly. (I still RPM dwn to 4 or 5 to cruise out, then I tend to do anywhere from a 160-220mph landing. Sometimes, if I took out w/o RATO help I'll hit it down to 2 or 3 and use the RATOs if I get in a bind.)

As for going straight when taxiing, once you get pointed the direction you want to go, you can pull back on the stick to lock the tail wheel.

When you get your sub going again, let me know...  I'll teach you to do an overhead break combat landing.  There is no reason why you should have to start from way out.  It sounds to me like you are trying to fly the plane onto the runway, rather then allowing it to sink onto the runway.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 06:57:03 AM »
I have found that when landing on carriers, it works to drop the hook, wait for it to catch the wire by skimming the flat top, and then pulling back a little on the elevators while dropping gear, then praying you don't snap the gears. Or at least for a combat landing.
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline chewiex

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 09:48:25 AM »
I have found that when landing on carriers, it works to drop the hook, wait for it to catch the wire by skimming the flat top, and then pulling back a little on the elevators while dropping gear, then praying you don't snap the gears. Or at least for a combat landing.

:huh :huh If you wait to catch a wire with your hook before putting your gear down is ridiculous. You better have gear down and hook deployed before you ever reach the wires, or you will crash for sure.

As soon as you hit the deck of the carrier, as long as you are on/over the wires at the tail deck, hit the brakes (space bar) and it will/should grab a wire (as long as your hook is deployed) and stop you. Be careful not to try and land on a carrier too fast or while it is turning until you learn proper landing procedures. Every airframe is different in their landing techniques, though the procedures and theory are the same.

Good luck.
A8Chewey
A8Chustr (Formerly A8Chewey, DasChewy) ..for a wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven. Such is the rule of honor. Lamb of God, Omerta from "Ashes of the Wake".

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 10:00:06 AM »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 10:36:07 AM »
In my experience, the vast majority of folks who are having a problem landing simply don't understand that they are supposed to hold a nose up angle of attack and use the throttle to decrease their altitude.  Most of these folks point the nose at the runway and then are surprised when they are going waaay to fast and crack up on the pavement.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 12:23:54 PM »
Some good info has been shared.  My two-cents:  Throttle controls rate of descent, elevator (nose up/nose down) controls airspeed.

Going too fast?  Cut throttle and nose up.

Now you're going down too fast but your airspeed is right where you want it?  Add some power to slow your descent, adjust your nose up/down to keep airspeed where you want it.

The key is to have the stall buzzer start sounding while you're about 30' above the runway.  You basically are trying to stall the aircraft onto the runway.  I usually come in at an angle (not straight in) on both carriers and airbases.  This way I can keep an eye on where I'm trying to touch down and not lose sight as it slips under the nose of my aircraft.

All the while, I'm adjusting throttle, flaps, and nose attitude to get myself into the sweet spot of descent/speed. Then it's just a matter of turning parallel about 10-15 seconds from touchdown so I can keep a mental picture of where the runway is as it disappears under my nose.  Especially with carriers, to gauge if you'll hit the wires or the ramp.  :D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 01:30:33 PM by ImADot »
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline HellFire

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 02:49:33 PM »
Here are some videos which might be useful for those who wish to SEE & HEAR
what's being done & HOW to do it:

http://www.darts-page.com

Click on "Files" on the Left, then click on "Movies" on the Right, click on "Instructional Videos" & select:
      'How to land on a carrier' -----> download

'How to land a Corsair'      ------> download

Enjoy & learn   :salute
"In life there is certain death, and between life and death
  there is a journey, hence in truth nothing is lost in death."

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 03:10:49 PM »
cut the engine till the flaps drop, drop flaps and climb while dropping gears, point down and level the plane out. . .use throttle to keep her from droping out of the sky. touchdown.

I'll tell you this, landing some planes is easier then taking off. . .the trick however is to make sure you touch the ground with the nose up a little - otherwise you will lose your prop.

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 02:36:01 AM »
You using a mouse or joysticK?

How long have you been flying?

Ren
Aces High Training Corps

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 04:54:28 AM »
http://www.nasa.gov/mov/194236main_029_landing_flare.mov
from
http://www.nasa.gov/audience/foreducators/topnav/materials/listbytype/The_Landing_Flare.html

Remember pulling back on the stick locks the tailwheel. That, having your RPMs to the max, and having the flaps totally down will help slow the plane down and reduce the chances of the plane yawing out into a spin.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 04:57:48 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2009, 07:10:43 AM »
I used to suck at landing so badly that I always broke the engine. Now i just take landing so wildly that it's a matter of when I will break something. I've tried to land properly, but I couldn't nail the speed and when to flap down right. My current tactic is to power down to 30 or 20 MP, full RPM, and then go into a semi-steep landing dive with full flaps. I also still suck at carrier landings, as I can never quite seem to nail the wires, weather not landing over them, or landing and bouncing right off the darn deck.

One last thing: how do I get the P-47N off the deck of a CV, when it's too darn heavy to takeoff? I'd love to be able to takeoff with a full load rather then dumping two rockets and 700rounds from both guns, and taking off after backing to the rear.
Ive done a bit of experimenting with this, the best I can get in the air with is 10 rockets and 1 500 pounder (75% gas, full load ammo) hit 3 notches flaps just before ya leave deck (later the better, as it slows acceleration), then immediately hit autopilot as ya raise gear
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/