Author Topic: energy management  (Read 1380 times)

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
Re: energy management
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2009, 07:51:23 AM »
So what I'm looking for, and the problem I'm having is not E management (which I guess it is) but E retention.........and the reason I don't have the problem in F4U's and 51's etc. is because even though I'm diving in on a lower guy I have a lot more stored E because of the higher speeds I can obtain. And the problem in the 38's is that I'm having to keep the speeds down and though I have the E advantage its not as much as it appears. So the higher speed's, say in the F4U, is actually making up for my poor ability to control my energy. 

thanks mtnman, it's frustrating but I guess it will all come together sooner or later.   
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2009, 08:52:33 AM »
The 38 holds its "E" just as well as the pony and the F4, and can run the same speeds, it just takes a bit more thought in your angles and when to hit the throttles. I've caught ponies on the deck in my 38 before, you just have to have the right angle to dive in to work past any tightening of the controls.

You said you spent time practicing with the 38 on the deck all flaps out. That's great, but it's only one end of the spectrum of the 38, its high speed capabilities are the other end. Spend some time diving form 5k, 10k, 15k and you'll see the different times the compression comes in, make a bit more shallow angle and the the compression comes in later, or not at all. The "G" can rope as well as any, you just have to be a bit more sure of the enemy's "E" state

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2009, 11:16:43 AM »
So what I'm looking for, and the problem I'm having is not E management (which I guess it is) but E retention.........and the reason I don't have the problem in F4U's and 51's etc. is because even though I'm diving in on a lower guy I have a lot more stored E because of the higher speeds I can obtain. And the problem in the 38's is that I'm having to keep the speeds down and though I have the E advantage its not as much as it appears. So the higher speed's, say in the F4U, is actually making up for my poor ability to control my energy. 

thanks mtnman, it's frustrating but I guess it will all come together sooner or later.   

First a nit-pick:  "because even though I'm diving in on a lower guy I have a lot more stored E because of the higher speeds I can obtain"

As long as you're not backing off the throttle you have nearly the exact same E at the top of your dive as you have at the bottom.  You've just converted alt (potential E) to speed (kinetic E).

"And the problem in the 38's is that I'm having to keep the speeds down and though I have the E advantage its not as much as it appears."

You are actually losing E throughout your dive if you're backing off the throttle to keep speeds down.  There is a point at which flying any higher will become unrealized potential unless you work entirely within the alt range where you can dive and pull back to the same starting alt.  That's not a bad thing but giving it up is just another decision you make.  I often find myself diving in, throttle chopped with full rudder and opposite ailerons slipping to keep my speed down to join in the fun below me.

"So the higher speed's, say in the F4U, is actually making up for my poor ability to control my energy."

Controlling E is not all about saving E.  Often losing E is preferable to set up a shot, pull an inside turn, etc.  The guy zooming in with a ton of smash who trys to get into a turn fight is usually giving up position to a lower E state opponent who's turning tighter, not limited by blackout.  As long as it's safe to do I try to get my E state close to that of my opponent then tweak it up or down as needed to gain position unless I'm just in a full B'n'Z.  The key is to fly the plane within the envelope where it performs at it's best and does the things you need it to do like getting over the top for instance.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 11:21:01 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2009, 01:13:23 PM »
when I come in on another plane and he does his break turn and I pull up and when I'm coming back over the top I have a feeling this is the wrong thing because it usually ends up bad for me.

Here's a very simple trick that will give you some vertical seperation:

If a guy in plane indeed makes a break turn after the merge and you are looking to get on top of him, go up in the same direction he's turning. In other words, if he breaks to his left, don't go straight up, go up and left too(your left). If the bad guy continues his break turn in an attempt to get on your climbing 6, this will force him to perform a much greater turn than 180 degrees to do so, robbing him of crucial energy. If you see this, you know you have a kill. This often results in a spiral rope(my favorite)

If the guy sees you going up/left and  he quickly starts to reverse his turn to the right in order to  get your 6 as you go up, simply roll a bit so you are now climbing to the right. You will again be vectoring away from his flight path.  Here' he's going to be pulling G's to change his course again causing him to bleed E. You will be primarily rolling to change course, scrubbing little E.

This very basic move can give you that little E seperation you need. In both cases, even if it doesn't produce a kill on the spot, you are going to be in control of the fight and free to be aggressive.   :salute
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2009, 03:07:10 PM »
thanks guys, little by little I'm starting to understand.
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher