Author Topic: P-38 fever  (Read 1725 times)

Offline Qrsu

• Nickel Member
Re: P-38 fever
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2009, 11:20:15 PM »
Thanks for the film Ak-Ak. Great flying.
Cursed
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline TAZ

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 01:48:11 PM »
I'm starting to take a liking the 38 more and more as I fly it. Though I'm not accomplished as a pilot I find I can maneuver on the deck and turn with almost anything. Up high I need work but the other night I gave a couple of F4's the fits and was able to hold them off while pinging them up a little. Still I have not found my plane yet. So I've been whoring myself to a lot of rides myself. LOL

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 01:56:14 PM »
I love the P-38 now. It's just so versatile and surprising. I've transitioned from the P-38 series from my Fw190A5 & P47 and it's just wonderful. The nose mounted guns offer a lethal arsenal for any fighter that makes the mistake of sitting in front of you for more than a second.

It's maneuverability is stellar. I can honestly say that the 38 is the only big twin engine fighter that can pull off alot of the "unbelievable" moves that you see being executed by the 80th and the rest of the vet 38 sticks. Only thing you have to learn is that you're going to down..alot while you learn it. But once you start to understand it more and utilize it's traits she'll start to reward you greatly which is what I'm coming to find out.

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2009, 08:16:04 AM »
I'm glad to see more people are taking an interest in the P38. :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline Jebus

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 06:37:39 PM »
Only plane I fly now.   :aok

But would like a mentor so i can get the most out of this bird. :devil

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2009, 03:45:40 PM »
I'm glad to see more people are taking an interest in the P38. :salute

Marvelous airplane. Quite possibly the most versatile Jabo we have, with a great mish-mash of attributes.

Its a great snap shooter, and overall a great gun platform.

Shes a gunslinger, the Lightning is. And so pretty....so beautiful.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2009, 04:07:07 PM »
what are they like at flying up in the pure vertical to rope people? I love to do that manover in  K4..people seem to forget how good the K4 is at flying in the vertical
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2009, 04:52:25 PM »
I believe 109K4 will out climb the 38 but all that brute power up front has a disadvantage, lots and lots of torque.   The 38 has a good zoom and is one of the better climbers in the american stable in sustained climb rate but what makes it so nice is that it's is completely docile and stable once you get the top.  The rope, and spiral climbs are a couple personal favorites of mine and work very well in the 38 when done right.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Qrsu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2009, 06:54:04 PM »
And I suppose due to the lack of torque, spiral climbs to the right are deadly.

Cursed
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Qrsu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2009, 06:58:28 PM »
One thing I've always wanted to learn was the triple immelman for merges. I've attempted it in practice over and over but always seem to stall it before I can pull the nose over the third time. The approach I use is full power with WEP for the first immel (loosely turning, maybe 2.5Gs?), roll over pull for the second with two clicks of flaps and reduced throttle to get over the top --> WEP when I level and then try for the third... no go.  ;)

Any tips on that? I try to get about 400 IAS before attempting it, is that not enough?
Cursed
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2009, 12:18:31 PM »
what are they like at flying up in the pure vertical to rope people? I love to do that manover in  K4..people seem to forget how good the K4 is at flying in the vertical

The P-38 is probably one of the better, if not best performers in the vertical.  While some planes come close, no other plane can hang on its props like the Lightning can.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song