Author Topic: P-38 fever  (Read 1726 times)

Offline Qrsu

• Nickel Member
P-38 fever
« on: May 25, 2009, 11:17:01 AM »
Got myself into a P-38J the other day after a long absence and have been hooked. I mainly fly 109s but have decided to give another planeset a look and the P-38 seems to fit nicely. Was just wondering if any experienced P-38 pilots would be available for a bit of mentoring over the next little while. Please send me a PM if you're seriously interested (IE. Have the time to meet up twice a week or so). I consider myself pretty teachable and I'll be punctual.  :)

Qrsu
Cursed
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Re: P-38 fever
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 06:31:06 PM »
My schedule is very tight right now; I've got a couple people I'm working with already, work is asking me to do 30 hours in 2 days, and the wife/daughter still want time as well.

Sorry I can't help right now, I might be available into next weekend but that is the best I can do. You're better off finding a better 38 stick than me anyhow.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 06:57:55 PM »
Off the top of my head you could ask B4Buster he taught me lots of stuff.
Strokes

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 10:50:15 PM »
Got myself into a P-38J the other day after a long absence and have been hooked. I mainly fly 109s but have decided to give another planeset a look and the P-38 seems to fit nicely. Was just wondering if any experienced P-38 pilots would be available for a bit of mentoring over the next little while. Please send me a PM if you're seriously interested (IE. Have the time to meet up twice a week or so). I consider myself pretty teachable and I'll be punctual.  :)

Qrsu

Come fly with the 113th Lucky Strikes.  We are a P38 Squad flying the L in attack mode, the J and G as light fighters.  We fly as Knights on Saturday evenings at 7PM EST in the late ware arena.  We use VOX 113.  Come wing up have fun.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 12:58:30 AM »
I don't think I could show you too much you probably don't already know, never considered myself a good teacher.  But if you're looking for someone to wing up with and get your little cartoon pilot dead, now that's an order I probably wouldn't have any trouble filling. :)

Feel free to look me up if you see me in the MA and we'll see if we can find some trouble to get into.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 01:41:44 AM »
My schedule is very tight right now; I've got a couple people I'm working with already, work is asking me to do 30 hours in 2 days, and the wife/daughter still want time as well.

Sorry I can't help right now, I might be available into next weekend but that is the best I can do. You're better off finding a better 38 stick than me anyhow.

lol Del, you're far too modest.
Qrsu, If I were you I would look Del up when his schedule isn't so full.  :aok

edit:

Soulyss too.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 01:43:18 AM by MajWoody »
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Offline Qrsu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 02:02:40 AM »
All of these fine offers are being received with serious elation... I will have to make sure to take full advantage of them! Thank you for all the support, guys.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 02:11:28 AM by Qrsu »
Cursed
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 05:57:27 PM »
You're such a plane slut Qrsu.

:devil
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline 71313

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 06:18:43 PM »
glad to see you still alive old timer :salute
handle the business,before the business handles you

Offline Qrsu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 10:19:56 PM »
You're such a plane slut Qrsu.

:devil

You're right, Bug. However, I haven't given up the 109... not in the least! I'm just giving another plane some love. ;)
Cursed
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Ratpack1

• Nickel Member
      • The Ryan Sayer Show @ OnTilt Radio
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 11:25:16 AM »
I tagged you a couple times in a Hurri yesterday Qrsu. I noticed it was fairly easy to catch you when you would climb up because you turned too soon or bled too much E initially. The reason I noticed it was because I tend to have the same problem lol! :salute

Yesterday due to an ENY issue I flew the G model and found I kept my E a little better in it so I think I may play with that a little to help beef up my skills.  I too love the 38 and want to excel in it.
When you get where you're going, that's where you are! -Mike Brady
172nd Rabid Dawgs
"The Real" Commander of Awesome (Stick "Ozzie Nelson" Pig)

Offline Qrsu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 11:50:56 AM »
Yep. I've always had an E-Retention issue in any plane I fly. I got caught three times over that base yesturday, once by your Hurricane once by another and then a 109(who was really lagging). Everytime was the same, I zoom climbed to stay over the top and misjudged my E-state.

I kept saying "How the heck is that Hurri climbing so well?" lol.

<S> Ratpack1.
Cursed
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Qrsu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 11:51:31 AM »
Double post. D'oh.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 02:10:21 PM by Qrsu »
Cursed
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Ratpack1

• Nickel Member
      • The Ryan Sayer Show @ OnTilt Radio
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 01:13:46 PM »
lol  :salute
When you get where you're going, that's where you are! -Mike Brady
172nd Rabid Dawgs
"The Real" Commander of Awesome (Stick "Ozzie Nelson" Pig)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 09:39:18 PM »
Here's a film I made over the weekend that has a couple of note worthy fights.

A6M5, Spitfire, C.205 vs. P-38J

In the beginning of the film, I see a low A6M5 and I prepare to roll in on it when I finally spot the Spitfire I had climbed up to hunt.  I break off the A6M5 and deal with the Spitfire first because if I didn't, he would have picked me while I was dancing with the Zeke.  I quickly knock the Spitfire out of the fight and then pounce on the Zeke.  Actually, rather lackluster kills on my part and are really nothing more than filler for the time in between fights with snaphook.

After dispatching the Zeke, I start to look for the Spitfire I knocked out of the fight to finish it off when I stumbled into a C.205.  I'm relatively low on energy (think I was around 250mph IAS or so when I first spotted snaphook) and quickly level out and hit WEP and then slight nose down to build energy for the merge.  Lucky for me, the C.205 when low on the merge, this allowed me to roll into a Low Yo-Yo on the merge and gain sufficient energy to follow up the slightly faster (think he had between 30 to 50mph on me) into the vertical for the kill.  In the film when snaphook and I talk about it, I made the mistake and stated my energy state at around 300mph IAS at the merge when I was actually slightly faster.

I run into the C.205 again and the fight is on.  This is the fight that makes this film worth watching.  In the beginning, I had the altitude and energy advantage and could have danced on the C.205's head all day long but knowing the other guy at the controls was an excellent pilot, I felt that a knife fight would be more enjoyable for the both of us and dumped my energy and engaged. 

For the P-38 flyers, this fight is a good example of fighting in the vertical and the use of flaps at a low energy state.  There were a couple of times during the fight that I really regretting dumping my energy since the fight was so fluid that one second one of us had the slight edge and then the next moment the other guy would have the slight edge with neither of us being quite able to sync things together correctly.  I knew that I would be able to follow his vertical moves for the most part but I had to take extreme care that I would not stall out before he does.  If I did stall out before snaphook, he would have rolled over and easily killed my floundering Lightning.  In this kind of fight, I had to make sure that he stalled out before me.  Since my plane is better in the vertical and is probably the best plane in the game for hanging on its props, I knew that if he stalled out before me, I had one of two options:

Option One:  As the C.205 stalled out above me, I could keep my nose up and as the C.205 started to come down from his stall, I could roll inverted and pull into him for a lead turn as he fell past my nose during his stall for the kill shot.

Option Two:  If I was unable to gain the angle for the kill shot, I could just saddle up instead.

Because I didn't have the angle for Option One, I tried Option Two.  Because I was able to saddle up as he was coming down from his vertical climb (after his stall at the top), I was able to generate enough energy on the descent by raising my flaps as I was coming down.  This allowed to me to continue to follow the C.205 in the vertical and eventually equalize energy states enough that I was able to go for the kill.

This is the kind of fight that everyone should live for.  It was a fluid and dynamic fight where it could have gone either way from moment to moment and makes one fly their plane to their utmost.  Fortunately, while the fight was almost ruined by the Spitfire looking for revenge, I was able to avoid the pick attempts and it also helped that the Spitfire driver wasn't very skilled in either flying or fighting.  I think he had the stall limiter on which prevented him from pulling a hard lead on his pick attempts and his failure to be able to stay with my maneuvers on the deck.

<S> snaphook.

ack-ack
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 09:40:49 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song