Author Topic: Are there any issues with running AH with Vista now.  (Read 3277 times)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Re: Are there any issues with running AH with Vista now.
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 07:14:56 AM »
Either spend more to get it downgraded, or reformat and do it yourself and save yourself a few bucks.

Truly isn't that hard to do.

If it was me I'd probably wipe, install XP pro, on one partition and Windows 7 on another.
Gives you all the latest bells, whistles and buzzers and still lets you fly with rock solid XP performance.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 07:15:09 AM »
Vista and Windows 7 spend a lot of CPU time on anything accessed in the "Program Files" folder.  The virtual store of hidden files it maintains is bad enough alone.

This all started in XP, but was not nearly as intrusive as it is in Vista and Windows 7.  If you want your computer to run its best, you never install anything in the "Program Files" folder.  Anything installed in the "Program Files" folder will not run nearly as well as it can run on your computer.

got it, thanks!

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 09:12:26 AM »
Vista and Windows 7 spend a lot of CPU time on anything accessed in the "Program Files" folder.  The virtual store of hidden files it maintains is bad enough alone.

This all started in XP, but was not nearly as intrusive as it is in Vista and Windows 7.  If you want your computer to run its best, you never install anything in the "Program Files" folder.  Anything installed in the "Program Files" folder will not run nearly as well as it can run on your computer.

So even in XP we should install AH in folder other than Program files?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 10:11:30 AM »

Skuzzy,

You know I'm not in the habit of questioning your computing advice (I mean, we're normally on the same wavelength here), but this is the very first time I've ever heard of anything like this.

As a very basic test, I've Ghosted my test partition of XP, installed PCMark05 into the default Program Files folder, ran the benchmark a few times, then Ghosted back to clean, and then installed PCMark05 into a new folder outside of Program Files, and ran the benchmark a few more times.

The results are the same (within the margin of error) in all instances.

So either you're talking about some other effect, or the effect doesn't really exist in XP, or I'm missing something I'd like to investigate further.

Could you direct me to some website or link that describes this effect or shows me how to demonstrate it?

Thanks,
Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 10:22:37 AM »
The impact occurs when a new file is created, updated or deleted.  In the case of Aces High, we do a lot of file updates, creations, and deletions.  Each time we do that, it has to go through that nasty layer which keeps track of where Vista really puts files, as they are not placed in the folders we want them to be placed in.

The upshot of it is, the game stutters and pauses due to the extra overhead created by that nonsense.  Moving the game from the "Program Files" folder results in the game playinf much smoother and it allows you to easily locate your files located in the films, screenshots, cache, settings, and skins folders.

XP is far less of an issue.  I would call it negligible in XP w/SP3.  I only really ran into it when I started working with a ton of files (over 5,000 audio/video files) making a movie.  Once I moved that program out of "Program Files" the encoding sped up by about 15%.  Made it worth my while as that encoding took over 48 hours to do.

The problem is severe enough with Vista and Windows 7, we will be changing our default installation path in the next release.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 10:27:34 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Silat

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 04:54:09 PM »
I have Vista 64 and run AH with no problems. My TEEN SQUELCH HACK ( Only $.34 ) runs perfectly.

+Silat
"The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them." — Maya Angelou
"Conservatism offers no redress for the present, and makes no preparation for the future." B. Disraeli
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason."