Author Topic: simple Lancstuka fix  (Read 1187 times)

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Re: simple Lancstuka fix
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 06:12:27 PM »
The Ju 88 was actually used as a dive-bomber as well as as a level bomber.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 06:24:55 PM »
the lanc is the main culprit due to its loadout (and i happened to have the docs handy), I'm pretty sure all bombers have limits so whatever was specified would do.

the B-25 limits are complex as you would expect, but it could be modelled as simply as required. the coad already knows which station and type of ord is being dropped so different angles for different stations/ords could be modelled.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 06:42:05 PM »
the lanc is the main culprit due to its loadout (and i happened to have the docs handy), I'm pretty sure all bombers have limits so whatever was specified would do.
The B-17 and B-24 would have harsher limits than the Lancaster as their bomb bays are short and deep whereas the Lancaster's is very long and shallow.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 06:05:01 AM »
bombs released >30deg foul the airframe causing terminal damage.

problem solved :D

Great wish, finally an inovative idea :aok

Offline Swatch

• Copper Member
      • http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/rtcircus
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 09:17:53 AM »
Out of curiosity, why do you think dropping at those angles would foul the airframe.  Maybe at 90 degrees or 80 degrees, but not 30.
OFFICIALLY AN AEROSPACE ENGINEER AS OF 1PM JUNE 13th!  Goodbye UC, you've been hell.

Proud member of the 364th CHawks, 383rd BG, formerly the RTC.

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 09:45:29 AM »
The bomb might hit the structure with its no-no spot, and cause an effect notorious for many bombs (explosion)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2009, 10:07:20 AM »
Out of curiosity, why do you think dropping at those angles would foul the airframe.  Maybe at 90 degrees or 80 degrees, but not 30.

well the limits are there for a few different reasons, for wing hardpoints on twins the bombs might foul the props, release mechs may not work as designed causing the ords to tumble or jam in place. like karnak suggested some of the bomb bays are very "tall" - look at how they're stacked up inside a Havoc for example. airframe damage just looked like the most appropriate option from the AH damage model.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2009, 12:21:53 PM »
Am i naive to think that as long as the bomber aircraft pulls positive G at time of bomb drop, the bombs would come out of the racks?  I know from John Comer's book "Combat Crew", that even the G model B-17 would occasionally have problems with bombs getting stuck in the racks, do you think diving angle would make the bombs get stuck?  :confused:

As far as i know, the Ju-88 design was adapted to make it a dive bomber during the prototype stage, there wasn't a production model and then they suddenly thought "we should make this a dive bomber!".

I think it would be great if the limits on dive angle were placed on the allied 'heavies', because i think it would mean that the JU88 would rightfully take it's place as a great aircraft in AH, rather than suicide torp dropper as we have now.  I think the 88 is underutilised.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2009, 12:35:35 PM »
JU88 Rocks!!!

CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Swatch

• Copper Member
      • http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/rtcircus
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2009, 12:30:45 AM »
well the limits are there for a few different reasons, for wing hardpoints on twins the bombs might foul the props, release mechs may not work as designed causing the ords to tumble or jam in place. like karnak suggested some of the bomb bays are very "tall" - look at how they're stacked up inside a Havoc for example. airframe damage just looked like the most appropriate option from the AH damage model.

I figured that's what you were going for, but it occurred to me that if you're dive-bombing, the bombs will be moving at your same speed, and likely won't fall any faster than you flying toward the ground.  Release Mechanisms are a different cat to skin, but bombs definitely won't fall INTO the props, and are unlikely to fall toward the front of the aircraft at all.  That being said, proper (or should I say, improper) piloting could absolutely cause the bombs to go astray.  You're talking about quite a bit more extensive physics and damage modeling there I would guess.
OFFICIALLY AN AEROSPACE ENGINEER AS OF 1PM JUNE 13th!  Goodbye UC, you've been hell.

Proud member of the 364th CHawks, 383rd BG, formerly the RTC.

Offline macerxgp

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2009, 04:19:24 PM »
While we're fixing the bombs, how about some better explosions and dust clouds? Don't tell me I'm the only one who thinks the "paper cutout" explosions are REALLY lame.

I know there's more I want, but I can't recall at the moment.
Quote from: Saurdaukar
Operational kettles in August 2009 exceed operational pots by approximately 142%.

Your comparison is invalid.

DeMaskus
357th-Death Dragons

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2009, 11:11:50 AM »
A good penalty for dropping bombs at improper angles, would be a damaged bomb-bay (would have to be modelled though). It seems to me instant death would be abit too much for that.

Offline SNIPER30

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2009, 12:49:46 PM »
Insert Quote
I like the idea of limiting the drop angle to what was really required for each aircraft. However, I can see it as a nightmare for HTC to implement due to a couple of different factors. Maybe when/if they redo the aircraft ordinance model it can be incorporated?

BTW here's a chart for the B-25C to give you an idea of the diving angles for each bomb point.

i am all for the 30 degree thing however if you look at the chart baumer put up i am also for the different tpyes of ord incendairy cluster bombs would be nice along with dept charges ....hint...hint(man i'm hungry think i'll go get myself a submarine samich) :D,also if i'm in a osti,wirblewind or field gun and i shoot a bomber in the bomb bay with it's doors open and it still has bombs, it should explode :aok
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 01:09:19 PM by SNIPER30 »
THUNDER MOB
R.I.P. 11Bravo