Author Topic: Aiming in the Me262 (Or any 30mm bird)  (Read 4902 times)

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
Re: Aiming in the Me262 (Or any 30mm bird)
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2009, 06:05:33 PM »
My strategey: Dont shoot until you see the bolts of his plane. Works nicely. :aok

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2009, 08:32:13 PM »
Even with poor aim, you can still have a high hit % by making it a higher priority to set yourself up for the easiest shot possible.  The focus of this thread is to show you how to do that with the 30mm instead of relying on laser guided aim to get kills.

Yep, that's what I've been trying to do as of late, and that's also why this is an excellent thread.  I appreciate what you're doing here and it'll help for certain.
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 02:18:37 AM »
http://www.dasmuppets.com/public/Grizz/K4 Tater Setup.ahf

Another good example of setting up your shot.
As the Yak9T banks to the right, I immediately pull my nose ahead of his flight path and draw him in for the crossing shot.  Once I get my nose far enough out in front, I line up the shot, then fire on time.  Those are the 3 steps to tatering actually:

1) Intercept their flight path (<200yds at gun solution)
2) Line up the shot vertically
3) Fire on Time

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 08:41:35 AM »
The films' addies do not exist any more
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 09:27:40 AM »
The films' addies do not exist any more

We had a server issue and a lot of stuff got deleted.  Check back tomorrow, I'll try to remember to get the links up again.

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2010, 09:41:56 AM »
Thanks =) 40 days til I can play AH2 again ! Trying to dust off the rust  :x
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96

Offline darxe

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2010, 12:47:04 PM »
Hey Grizz any luck getting your k4 tator shot video reposted?

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2010, 12:50:09 PM »
Hey Grizz any luck getting your k4 tator shot video reposted?

The crossing shot one?

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2010, 02:12:35 PM »
After reading your explaination on how you track targets w/ 262 and 163. I understood your concept. The issue I had w/ the fast movers was as you stated "lead by gunsight" which caused undershot. How do you engage target using slower propeller plane such as FWs? with BnZ or E engagement passes. I always close in about 200, using my gunsight to lead. As soon as the target disappear under my nose where I can't see, normally about 200 meters out. That's when I fired a short 1 second burst, 10-20 rounds of 20mm and it usually kill. Normally from a position where I can see the target wing tips to wing tip, and nose to tail to maximize my chance of hitting the target. Though I have to do this at a high rate of speed normally in a dive or pulling out of a dive just so I can get in position fast enough to deliver as target of oppertunity arise. Unlike 163 or 262, the propeller doesn't have the speed to maintain that rate of closure so I had to do that. Could you also please send a few ahf video of your engagement using propeller planes and the K4s.
I fly the K-4 a lot but I never used the twist method to maximize tracking time and lead time. I understood the method but I'm having a hard time visualizing how to set up the target into that shot.

Yenny
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96

Offline darxe

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2010, 02:44:16 PM »
The last video you posted "http://www.dasmuppets.com/public/Grizz/K4 Tater Setup.ahf"

Offline darxe

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2010, 08:46:51 AM »
Thanks Grizz the movies are working now.

Offline BrockS

• Zinc Member
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2010, 01:16:09 PM »
Well Yenny, the shot becomes infinitely easier when you place your cursor on the gunsight and then a glitch allows you to move your head position left, clear of the aircraft without that pesky nose in the way.

After reading your explaination on how you track targets w/ 262 and 163. I understood your concept. The issue I had w/ the fast movers was as you stated "lead by gunsight" which caused undershot. How do you engage target using slower propeller plane such as FWs? with BnZ or E engagement passes. I always close in about 200, using my gunsight to lead. As soon as the target disappear under my nose where I can't see, normally about 200 meters out. That's when I fired a short 1 second burst, 10-20 rounds of 20mm and it usually kill. Normally from a position where I can see the target wing tips to wing tip, and nose to tail to maximize my chance of hitting the target. Though I have to do this at a high rate of speed normally in a dive or pulling out of a dive just so I can get in position fast enough to deliver as target of oppertunity arise. Unlike 163 or 262, the propeller doesn't have the speed to maintain that rate of closure so I had to do that. Could you also please send a few ahf video of your engagement using propeller planes and the K4s.
I fly the K-4 a lot but I never used the twist method to maximize tracking time and lead time. I understood the method but I'm having a hard time visualizing how to set up the target into that shot.

Yenny

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2010, 01:18:36 PM »
Well Yenny, the shot becomes infinitely easier when you place your cursor on the gunsight and then a glitch allows you to move your head position left, clear of the aircraft without that pesky nose in the way.

That's a film viewer glitch.  You should go read "A View to Kill", an article on the AH Trainer Corps webpage.

Offline BrockS

• Zinc Member
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2010, 01:23:29 PM »
Uh huh

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2010, 01:24:27 PM »
Uh huh

Sour grapes?  Whats your in game name?