Author Topic: Brewster Buffalo  (Read 8585 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: Brewster Buffalo
« Reply #270 on: June 05, 2009, 11:17:50 PM »
 :uhoh
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Nurminen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #271 on: June 06, 2009, 02:44:49 AM »

EDIT/ For the Finns....somehow it seems appropriate... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSuB6O-SikU :) /EDIT

:D   :salute

Offline Demetrious

• Copper Member
« Reply #272 on: June 06, 2009, 08:57:53 AM »
Ok.  Other than being used against a Russian air force predominated by EVEN more inferior aircraft( mostly biplanes or early 1930's era monoplanes) and flown by better Finnish pilots who knew the fate of their country rested on every man in uniform, and weren't relegated to inferior russian tactics...

B*** best not be steppin to mah I-153. In the words of my generation, ahem.

But seriously, don't under-estimate the I-16 or the I-153. They were both lethal performers in the right hands, and they were both cannon-armed by the time of the Winter War. The I-16 and I-153 were both painfully slow, but good climbers and very nimble in a turn, and not bad at rolling. In 1941 they were reaching the end of their useful service life, but they weren't dead yet. A Brewster pilot who got lazy against an I-16 could find his arse in the wind quite quickly. If you don't believe me, try playing IL-2 against an I-153 dweeb sometime; they will redefine the barrel roll defense for you. Sure, its just a video game, but it illustrates the point nicely.

Also, let me remind you that the Japanese Army Air Force, armed with Ki-27 monoplanes that were far more manuverable then the Brewster, with better climb, got their tails handed to them by I-16s and I-153s at the battle of Khalkin Gol.

The BREWSTER SUCKED.  

It will never even be as popular as the F4F in any arena, other than by the Finns...

I am honestly curious as to why you think that way. Why, exactly, did the Brewster suck? As far as I can see you haven't elaborated percisely why the Brewster was markedly inferior as a fighter in it's era.  As for being less popular then the F4F, I find that hard to believe- it's got the same armament and similar manuverability, but has superior power loading and climb rate, two things that absolutely cripple the F4F. (The F4F is more durable, but there's something to be said for not getting shot in the first place.)

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
« Reply #273 on: June 06, 2009, 08:58:36 AM »
But it isn't the A-26 or He111 so they feel disappointed.  No consideration of all the guys who waited years for this one and who have contributed so much to the game.

Those planes are in the works they gonna add every plane we voted on
bet A-26 and yak3 He-111 are next probably see screens of the A-26 next  

P.S. I got sounds ready to go for the brewster had them done for the past year now just knew HTC would give it to the finns :) WTG Finns PERKELE!!!!!!!!! we got the brewster :aok
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 09:00:55 AM by TwinBoom »
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #274 on: June 06, 2009, 12:52:56 PM »
I'm out of town and drunk. :)

I'm not gonna start defending my position  (or the position of the FiAF) as my objectiveness is compromised by alcohol. I'll just say that it would do a lot of good for Moray to actually do some research and not settle with the first sources he can find...as he's very wrong on many accounts....which, I can explain when I sober up and actually start caring about this conversation again. :) Brewster shot down many Soviet "inline engined fighters" including La-5s and Yaks well after FiAF had the first Messerschmittis...

You are free to apologize for your ignorance Moray. :)

So other than a pile on, which is normal, I've yet to see one of my points refuted with anything but opinions.  Finnish War history or otherwise.
Please, all of you wishing to give me a history lesson, feel free to cite.  Especially you, Wmaker, since obviously Karaya can't refute the points I put out..  I'm waiting for anything viable from you, in regards to my points.  Correct what the history books say regarding Finnish History in the war. 

I restate, I'm not attacking the history of your country, and there is no ill will, unlike how some have put it to you.  If you would rather carry this conversation via PM's, than hijack this thread, that is fine.  I look forward to you correcting what I've learned is wrong, with hard cited historical facts.
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
« Reply #275 on: June 06, 2009, 01:09:00 PM »
So other than a pile on, blah blah blah blah take to pm

CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!!!!!!
TBs Sounds 

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #276 on: June 06, 2009, 01:16:40 PM »
Those planes are in the works they gonna add every plane we voted on
bet A-26 and yak3 He-111 are next probably see screens of the A-26 next
You're delusional.  The vote meant nothing beyond the next aircraft added.  Only the fact that the votes for the B-25 and P-39 were so remarkably close and that the P-39 was a widely useful type to add got the P-39 added next.

All additions after that are entirely, 100%, unencumbered by that vote and are completely HTC's choice.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
« Reply #277 on: June 06, 2009, 01:20:38 PM »
You're delusional.  The vote meant nothing beyond the next aircraft added.  Only the fact that the votes for the B-25 and P-39 were so remarkably close and that the P-39 was a widely useful type to add got the P-39 added next.

All additions after that are entirely, 100%, unencumbered by that vote and are completely HTC's choice.

again care to make a wager  :D
TBs Sounds 

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #278 on: June 06, 2009, 01:35:40 PM »
again care to make a wager  :D
Let me put it this way, it would be ridiculous for HTC to further overload the American planeset when other planesets are in such need of attention.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #279 on: June 06, 2009, 02:11:23 PM »
So other than a pile on, which is normal, I've yet to see one of my points refuted with anything but opinions.  Finnish War history or otherwise.
Please, all of you wishing to give me a history lesson, feel free to cite.  Especially you, Wmaker, since obviously Karaya can't refute the points I put out..  I'm waiting for anything viable from you, in regards to my points.  Correct what the history books say regarding Finnish History in the war. 

I restate, I'm not attacking the history of your country, and there is no ill will, unlike how some have put it to you.  If you would rather carry this conversation via PM's, than hijack this thread, that is fine.  I look forward to you correcting what I've learned is wrong, with hard cited historical facts.

I've yet too "refute anything", because you haven't been right about anything.   Make sense yet or do you still have the bends?
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #280 on: June 06, 2009, 02:17:06 PM »
So other than a pile on, which is normal, I've yet to see one of my points refuted with anything but opinions.   

Actually, I pretty much destroyed your argument that the Soviet aircraft were highly inferior to the Finnish aircraft. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #281 on: June 06, 2009, 02:19:30 PM »
Moray,
There were already good links pointed out for you, but just a few most obvious ones to start with:

...it [Brewster] was removed from US service and sent to the Finns to fly against the Russians.

No, Brewsters arrived to Finland in spring of 1940. Later Brewster types served in USA even when they joined WW2.

Did the Finns not side with Germany in 1939 thru 1944?

No, only from 1941 to 1944. Germany sided with Soviet Union until 1941.

Was the Buffalo almost completely withdraw from Finnish service and replaced by 109G2's by late 1942?

No, Brewsters were used all the way to the end of wars in Finland. In mid to late 1944 the scored kills like Airacobras, Warhawks, La-5:s and Yak-9:s.

In spring 1943, Finland was allowed to buy 30 Bf109G-2:s from Germany, to equip one squadron with them. That squadron happened to be Lentolaivue 34 ;)
G-2 losses were replaced, but Finns got more 109s (G-6:s this time) only April 1944 onwards.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #282 on: June 06, 2009, 02:21:17 PM »
Cool stuff. Congrats to those who want to fly her. Any plane addition is a good one.     :aok
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #283 on: June 06, 2009, 02:25:41 PM »
Cool stuff. Congrats to those who want to fly her. Any plane addition is a good one.     :aok

Which is how it should have been on Page 5.    :rock     Simple words ring true.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
« Reply #284 on: June 06, 2009, 03:46:06 PM »
Let me put it this way, it would be ridiculous for HTC to further overload the American planeset when other planesets are in such need of attention.

but its their game :)
TBs Sounds