Author Topic: BREWSTER SKIN REQUEST(s)!  (Read 3549 times)

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
Re: BREWSTER SKIN REQUEST(s)!
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2009, 05:22:54 PM »
I like the Dutch skin that looks like a cow!  :rofl

Thats a Finnish skin   :aok
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2009, 06:47:45 PM »
There's going to be a VERY limited number of US skins that could be done for the Brewster, since only one squadron flew the F2A in combat (VMF-221 at Midway)

The second USMC profile Shifty posted would work. It was flown by Capt. William Humberd during the action of June 4, 1942.

I thought like VF-2 had strafed a Japanese submarine or something. From what I've seen in a few other posts. Would that count as combat?
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2009, 11:52:08 PM »
I think Greebo said on the main board the only US skin allowed will be VMF-221.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2009, 09:30:42 PM »
I think Greebo said on the main board the only US skin allowed will be VMF-221.

Oh, okay.  :aok

Oh well, even if it's one American skin, it will still look good.
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2009, 03:41:27 PM »
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2009, 05:45:02 PM »
New Zealand 488 Sqn, RNZAF NF-O Officer N. Sharp

« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 05:56:37 PM by Megalodon »
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 06:47:20 PM by lyric1 »

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2009, 07:34:14 PM »
Trying to find an actual pic for this bird

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/122/81/0/5_b1

Singapore, end of 1941. Delivered on 26th August 1941 to 453 Sqn and was regularly piloted by Sgt M.Read  and was coded TD-F with a small black and white dog motif under the forward cockpit glass. It was lost when it crashed into an Ki-43 of 64th sentai over Kuala Lumpur, Malaya on 22nd December 1941, with pilot Sgt Malcom Neville Read 402952 KIA.
"SGT. MALCOLM NEVILLE READ 4 victories RAAF 453 Squadron KIA December 22, 1941 December 13, 1941 3 shared Ki-51's December 22, 1941 1 Rammed a KI-43"

I think you can see it with the "dog" marking in this photo. plane 3 possible 4 as well

Maybe "some one or two" has a book with a photo

Pilots of No. 453 Squadron RAAF run to their Brewster Buffalo aircraft in response to a scramble order.
Date c 1941-10

Edit: after editing and blowing up pic 2  planes 3 & 4 have the similar if not the same nose art. While looking up/for this bird there are 3 different conflicting reports on ID with the one posted having the most attn. I thought plane 5 also had the same art but it does not.

I wonder if they were wingies
Planes reported to be:
TD-B
TD-E
TD-F

« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 10:23:58 PM by Megalodon »
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2009, 12:06:41 AM »
Yes the third plane is the same one & that is the only photo of the nose art of that plane in existence. I have a book with the same picture only clearer & the fourth plane has not got the same nose art.

It looks like something else altogether maybe just a slight difference in paint or possible ware & tear on the original paint work. I am pretty sure it is the bird FTJR is going to do here is a better look of the dog in question.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 01:21:16 AM by lyric1 »

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2009, 08:29:57 PM »
Some Dutch Pictures.

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2009, 09:34:53 AM »
F- TD has been done, by Greebo, who was gracious enough to do it for me.
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2009, 04:24:55 PM »
Wmaker asked me to skin BW-393, which was the mount of two of the leading Finnish aces. As skinned here it is the aircraft of Capt Eino Luukkanen of 1/LeLv 24 in the Continuation war circa 1942. Interestingly the kill markings on the fin are actually beer bottle labels! Luukanen was promoted and transferred to command another squadron. He ended the war with 56 kills having switched to the Bf109G.

When Luukkanen left BW-393 was handed over to Hans Wind who eventually scored more kills in Brewsters than any other pilot.

Below is Sgt Read's 453 Squadron RAAF aircraft, as requested by FTJR. Sgt Read died when he rammed a Ki 43 after running out of ammunition. I may just drop my 67 Squadron RAF skin as its so similar to this one.

My skin varies from the profiles in this thread a bit, particularly the lower camo line. This is the layout I see in all the photos of RAF Buffalos where this area is visible and in other profiles I have.

Lyric's post prompted me to do some research on colours. I had originally assumed that Singapore era RAF, RAAF and RNZAF Buffalos were painted in RAF colours. However Brewster actually used the US colours ANA 617 and medium green 42 on top and an unknown shade of light grey or blue underneath. The RAF painted the half black undersides and Sky ID band after reassembling the aircraft in theater. I'm undecided on what shade to use underneath, possibly light gull gray or the US equivalent to Sky.

The Buffalos the RAAF later inherited from the Dutch via the USAAF were olive drab and medium green on top and light grey underneath. However the Australians repainted the underneath Sky Blue in order to quickly cover up the big "U S ARMY" letters under the wings.

BTW Is anyone out there thinking of skinning a VMF-221 Buffalo? I'd like to skin a US Buffalo, but as there's such a limited choice I'll pass if someone else wants to do it.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 04:26:50 PM by Greebo »

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2009, 05:52:09 PM »

My skin varies from the profiles in this thread a bit, particularly the lower camo line. This is the layout I see in all the photos of RAF Buffalos where this area is visible and in other profiles I have.

Lyric's post prompted me to do some research on colours. I had originally assumed that Singapore era RAF, RAAF and RNZAF Buffalos were painted in RAF colours. However Brewster actually used the US colours ANA 617 and medium green 42 on top and an unknown shade of light grey or blue underneath. The RAF painted the half black undersides and Sky ID band after reassembling the aircraft in theater. I'm undecided on what shade to use underneath, possibly light gull gray or the US equivalent to Sky.

The Buffalos the RAAF later inherited from the Dutch via the USAAF were olive drab and medium green on top and light grey underneath. However the Australians repainted the underneath Sky Blue in order to quickly cover up the big "U S ARMY" letters under the wings.

BTW Is anyone out there thinking of skinning a VMF-221 Buffalo? I'd like to skin a US Buffalo, but as there's such a limited choice I'll pass if someone else wants to do it.

Nice job & some more info that may help.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2009, 07:05:14 AM »

Interestingly the kill markings on the fin are actually beer bottle labels!
I kind of like this guy.