Author Topic: BREWSTER SKIN REQUEST(s)!  (Read 3550 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Re: BREWSTER SKIN REQUEST(s)!
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2009, 07:28:58 AM »
I figured the beer label thing might appeal to some in here.....   ;)

I have found the colour I'm going to use on the underside of the RAAF Buffalo at the website below. Apparently RAF Airacobras were painted in a shade called Du Pont 71-021 Sky Type S Grey. That looks a close match for both the time of manufacture and the descriptions of the colour.

http://amair4raf.blogspot.com/

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2009, 11:08:48 AM »
Great Link, tks Greebo
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2009, 11:53:07 AM »
Just perfect once again Greebo!

Like we talked, I'm 90% sure that there were no lynxes and no labelts on the right side at the time the skin of yours is depicted.

This one will be my favourite along the BW-372. :)

The beer bottle label of which the kill markings consisted of:
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2009, 06:15:40 PM »
Wmaker asked me to skin BW-393, which was the mount of two of the leading Finnish aces. As skinned here it is the aircraft of Capt Eino Luukkanen of 1/LeLv 24 in the Continuation war circa 1942. Interestingly the kill markings on the fin are actually beer bottle labels! Luukanen was promoted and transferred to command another squadron. He ended the war with 56 kills having switched to the Bf109G.

When Luukkanen left BW-393 was handed over to Hans Wind who eventually scored more kills in Brewsters than any other pilot.

(Image removed from quote.)

Below is Sgt Read's 453 Squadron RAAF aircraft, as requested by FTJR. Sgt Read died when he rammed a Ki 43 after running out of ammunition. I may just drop my 67 Squadron RAF skin as its so similar to this one.

My skin varies from the profiles in this thread a bit, particularly the lower camo line. This is the layout I see in all the photos of RAF Buffalos where this area is visible and in other profiles I have.

Lyric's post prompted me to do some research on colours. I had originally assumed that Singapore era RAF, RAAF and RNZAF Buffalos were painted in RAF colours. However Brewster actually used the US colours ANA 617 and medium green 42 on top and an unknown shade of light grey or blue underneath. The RAF painted the half black undersides and Sky ID band after reassembling the aircraft in theater. I'm undecided on what shade to use underneath, possibly light gull gray or the US equivalent to Sky.

The Buffalos the RAAF later inherited from the Dutch via the USAAF were olive drab and medium green on top and light grey underneath. However the Australians repainted the underneath Sky Blue in order to quickly cover up the big "U S ARMY" letters under the wings.

BTW Is anyone out there thinking of skinning a VMF-221 Buffalo? I'd like to skin a US Buffalo, but as there's such a limited choice I'll pass if someone else wants to do it.

(Image removed from quote.)

Greebo, would you happen to have Sgt Read's Brewster WWII photo?
Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2009, 09:35:41 PM »
I do it is the only one there is.

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2009, 09:49:11 PM »
AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!!!!! 

TY!
Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2009, 03:58:34 AM »
Actually that's a clearer and more complete version of the 453 Sqn photo. Looks like I need to move the top wing roundels towards the wingtips a bit. Just noticed a gas detection patch on the wing as well.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2009, 04:51:54 AM »
Actually that's a clearer and more complete version of the 453 Sqn photo. Looks like I need to move the top wing roundels towards the wingtips a bit. Just noticed a gas detection patch on the wing as well.
Interestingly enough the first plane to the right looks as if there is no roundels on the top of the wing at all. Yet they are there.

Been trying to find 805 squadron stuff very tough to find so far all I have come up with. There is supposed to be pictures of Germans standing over a bone yard of Buffaloes in Malta I can't find them though.

http://asisbiz.com/il2/F2A-2/MkI-RAAF-805Sqn-AX814.html
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 05:08:46 AM by lyric1 »

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2009, 08:08:52 AM »
Interestingly enough the first plane to the right looks as if there is no roundels on the top of the wing at all. Yet they are there.

Been trying to find 805 squadron stuff very tough to find so far all I have come up with. There is supposed to be pictures of Germans standing over a bone yard of Buffaloes in Malta I can't find them though.

http://asisbiz.com/il2/F2A-2/MkI-RAAF-805Sqn-AX814.html

:rofl  Well they never TOOK Malta, so that might be one of the problems with finding that picture.  :aok  (He means Crete most likely)
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2009, 08:57:54 AM »
Yeah I think its Crete.
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2009, 10:21:32 AM »
:rofl  Well they never TOOK Malta, so that might be one of the problems with finding that picture.  :aok  (He means Crete most likely)
Actually I did not read this site till just now was focusing on the pictures. I got the bad info from some other sites who mention Malta as well. Pit falls of the web I guess? Or being half asleep.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 11:04:57 AM by lyric1 »

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2009, 11:54:47 PM »

It's there.  It's hard to see because of the lighting-glare-reflection.  You can barely make out the different color in the center as well as the outside curve down near the aileron.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2009, 12:12:07 PM »
Some extra pictures I have found.

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2009, 08:26:59 PM »
The Dutch flew them heavily vs the Japanese in 1942 in the East Indies.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2009, 11:11:04 PM »
Man, this ol' girl is a tank:

Axis vs Allies Staff Member