Author Topic: Typhoon info needed  (Read 3516 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Typhoon info needed
« on: June 03, 2009, 05:17:38 PM »
I found this Typhoon profile from a plastic kit decal sheet. It is a mid-1945 193 Squadron aircraft with the name "Betty" on the side. Seemed like a happy coincidence as our Betty flies the Typhoon. Couldn't find a photo of it in any of my books though. Does anyone have a photo of this aircraft they could either post or send to me?

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
Re: Typhoon info needed
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 05:32:52 PM »
All I've found on the web so far is a profile of the other side:

Still looking.

wrongway

71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 11:04:48 PM »
I know I've seen a photo of that Tiffie somewhere but I can't find it.  Apparently it makes for a popular modeling subject though.

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 11:09:04 PM »
If you are looking for Tiffies to do Greebo, this one would be nice, at least from my perspective.  While in Normandy in 2005 we visited the Canadian Cemetary on the road from Caen to Falaise.  I came across this grave marker of an RCAF Tiffie Pilot Ted Bugg.

This was in the book at the cemetary and I made it a project to track the story down when I got home.

His story turned up in a book on RCAF Tiffies and included this photo of Bugg, his wife and daughter. 

I did this profile based on info found on the Tiffie he was lost in while flying ground attack during the Falaise Gap
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 03:07:45 AM »
Ideally I like to work from photos but I'll skin Ted Bugg's Tiffie for you Guppy. In case HTC ask when I submit it, what is the title of the book you used as a source for your profile?

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 05:38:58 AM »
I know I've seen a photo of that Tiffie somewhere but I can't find it.  Apparently it makes for a popular modeling subject though.

(Image removed from quote.)

Ditto, I will see what I can find.  I am assuming the 2TAF books have already been checked but I will check them tonight.
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 08:04:33 AM »
dont think its betty but a couple of pics of a 193 Sqn typh taxiing (plus other info/pics) at:

http://www.rafharrowbeer.co.uk/bellows_of_brazil.htm

also from the IWM:

interesting history - this batch were donated by sympathetic Brazillians.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 08:06:13 AM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 12:31:48 AM »
Ideally I like to work from photos but I'll skin Ted Bugg's Tiffie for you Guppy. In case HTC ask when I submit it, what is the title of the book you used as a source for your profile?

Thank's Greebo.  It was a very sobering moment thinking about that pilot while standing among all those graves at the Canandian Cemetary.  It's scary how many of those cemetary's dot the roads from Normandy on in.

The books is 'Typhoon and Tempest-The Canadian Story"  By Hugh Halliday

Well worth it if you can find it.  The RCAF Tiffies were strictly bomb carriers while the RAF Tiffies took the rockets.  F/O Bugg was lugging bombs the day he was killed.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 03:08:18 AM »
The Typhoon pilots suffered far higher losses than other RAF fighter squadrons of the time, the German AA fire in 1944 was very effective. It got to the point where there was a shortage of pilots so a call was made for volunteers to transfer from Spit squadrons and there were almost no takers. Typhoon pilots were very popular with the army though, often getting bought pints in the pub by off duty soldiers.

I've only got Vol 4 of the 2nd TAF books and "Betty" is not in that, don't know about the other volumes but it is a 1945 plane so that should narrow it down a bit.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 03:39:51 AM »
The Typhoon pilots suffered far higher losses than other RAF fighter squadrons of the time, the German AA fire in 1944 was very effective. It got to the point where there was a shortage of pilots so a call was made for volunteers to transfer from Spit squadrons and there were almost no takers. Typhoon pilots were very popular with the army though, often getting bought pints in the pub by off duty soldiers.

I've only got Vol 4 of the 2nd TAF books and "Betty" is not in that, don't know about the other volumes but it is a 1945 plane so that should narrow it down a bit.

One of the first Spit XII pilots I corresponded with back in the 80s was a Warrant Officer and he ended up being sent to 263 squadron on Tiffies.  He talked a bit about diving into the flak and seeing buddies disappear in an instant as the flak got them.  He sent me a couple of nice photos of rockets on the way in as well as a squadron photo of 263 on and around a Tiffie towards the end of the war.

Just reading about the Canadians and all losses, is very sobering.    One of the things I noticed at the US cemetary overlooking Omaha Beach is that 99 percent of the pilots buried there were 9th AF ground attack pilots.  Jug and 38 drivers.  I saw very few 8th AF pilots there.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 05:15:36 AM »
Dan,

RAF 263 Squadron, would you happen to know the squadron code for JR302?

Tks

JR
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 09:57:50 AM »
Dan,

RAF 263 Squadron, would you happen to know the squadron code for JR302?

Tks

JR

http://www.raf.mod.uk/history_old/h263.html
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 03:51:53 PM »
here's one pic

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member