Author Topic: Hard Drive Backups  (Read 509 times)

Offline batch

• Nickel Member
Hard Drive Backups
« on: June 04, 2009, 08:34:37 AM »
Ive seen many cases where members have to format or are simply building/upgrading computers and dont have a copy of their OS. The simplest way to workaround this other than purchasing a copy is to use some type of backup/clone program which will create a mirror image of your current setup.

There are many notable programs out there that can achieve this.... the one I happen to use is by Acronis........ Ive used Paragon in the past, which brings me to the reason for this post.

Today only you can d/l a copy of Paragon Drive Copy for FREE. Its being offered on:

giveawayoftheday.com

This is a trusted site which offers a different d/l each day, software companies use it as a way to advertise and promote interest in their programs. I personally check the site everyday and have d/l many programs which range from simple task editors to complex software such as todays offering.

GL and enjoy
"theres nothin like wakin up with a Dickens Cider" - Dickens Fruit Stand

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Re: Hard Drive Backups
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 03:08:42 PM »
Thanks for the tip!

I have a feeling this will come in handy REAL soon.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 04:04:03 PM »
As a sidenote there are several products for cloning that are always free. Like Macrium Reflect recovery.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 06:18:10 PM »
If you already own a computer, you don't need to buy an OS. You own one already. Don't see the issue there.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 07:15:18 PM »
It comes in handy to have a CD version when you need to place Windows on a new hard drive... My first computer was built and setup by a neighbor. When he moved I no longer had access to the windows installer CD which he bought for me and kept in his home. A short while later I bought a new hard-drive and immediately was stuck with the need for an Operating System installer. This would have come in handy back then...
FlameThink.com

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 07:21:31 PM »
As I understand it, it's legal to use any OS CD that's of the same type, so long as you have the serial YOU OWN to go along with it.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 07:37:49 PM »
That's strange. I tried that on a Windows XP CD that someone handed me. Used the serial HP printed on the computer I was reformatting, wasn't accepted. Could that have something to do with there being some 30+ versions of XP?
FlameThink.com

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 09:20:17 PM »
That Windows CD was most likely OEM, which wouldn't take a manufacturer's code.

Offline batch

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 10:09:18 PM »
exactly...... anyone who is using the OS installed when they bought a shelf computer has an OEM version........ which means they have a restore disk....... CRAP

first how many updates have you done to your OS since it was purchased?   when you format all those are gone.......... how about other programs installed on  your comp? format = gone

yes there are many alternatives which are always free...... however Paragon along with Acronis are the top 2 there are........ this is Paragon for free not some backwoods college kid who just learned to code

I use Acronis..... I always keep several different backups on hand........ 1) a fresh clean install of OS nothing else installed   2) a clean install of OS and all other programs that I feel are my core necessities..... and 3) a rotating monthly backup which includes whatever state the comp is in at the time

every few months or whenever Im too bored I do a restore to the last backup just to clear some deadwood........ start to finish usually takes me about 10 minutes........ how long would it take you to reinstall an OS and update it, then install all of your other programs?    takes me 10 minutes

thats the point you fail to see

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 10:35:28 PM »
first how many updates have you done to your OS since it was purchased?   when you format all those are gone.......... how about other programs installed on  your comp? format = gone

Not true, as I create custom up-to-date Windows CDs. Have a look at the program nLite and this article.

Generally keeping at least the Service Pack up to date will solve a lot of headache and downloading time.

Offline batch

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 10:48:33 PM »
if you dont see the advantage already...... then you probably wont ....... at least not until next time youre spending a few hours installing crap after a format........

3 hours left on the giveaway for those who do see the advantage

to each their own I suppose...... I simply passed along some info on a great program

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 11:25:07 PM »
Any OEM installation disk will work as long as you have the COA sticker to tell you the correct serial number.

I know, I just reinstalled a HP I got for free from a recycling center. Used my own OEM disc from a Fujitsu-Siemens laptop and HP serial. Had to activate manually, otherwise went smooth.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline batch

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 11:38:59 PM »
youre in the minority by having an OEM copy........... most people just have the restore disk that came with their store bought computer............ which is why they stuck that little sticker on the side of the tower to begin with

and once again its neither here nor there........ the point isnt whether you have or can get a copy........ biggest point is simplicity

like I said earlier.......... I can have windows along with every other driver/program I want installed long before youll ever see the screen that lets you enter the registration code........ regardless of where your sticker is or what disk you have

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 12:07:44 AM »
like I said earlier.......... I can have windows along with every other driver/program I want installed long before youll ever see the screen that lets you enter the registration code........ regardless of where your sticker is or what disk you have

I think you skipped my post. I can have every app, driver, update, service pack, and program installed without ever seeing more than a blinking cursor for a couple minutes, longer if I choose the full format (which I do).

Not to mention that I split my hard drive into two sections; Windows (read: viruses) and Documents/Programs. Something gets funky, I shove the disk in and go eat a meal. Come back to the login screen with freshly made accounts with the right name and passwords, ready to go with all the files I care about just as I left them on the second partition. Never have to touch they keyboard.

It's not about what program you use, it's about understanding how things work and the easiest and most efficient ways to go about them.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 12:09:39 AM by OOZ662 »

Offline batch

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 10:53:36 AM »
if you have what your last post just said......... then you ALREADY have this exact same type of program.......... which means youre either not grasping the language............ or just being argumentative

you do not have a stand alone windows install disk that does anything more than install windows.........   you have a clone/backup/restore program that you used to create a restore disk.........  EXACTLY what paragon does.......... FFS